Working up load

Jinx-)

Just got back from the range where I tested my new load. I only increased it by +1.3 grains, which was pushing 3200+ fps Previous load was shooting at 0.25 0.35 MOA and was going 3050 fps,but today with my new load the best I got was .85 MOA the rest of the groups where 1.2 MOA 1.3 MOA, and I was only shooting at 300 yards. My conclusion, going faster opens up groups.

What cartridge 1.3 gr. is a mile in a smaller case. not so much in a 338-378, but it is still a major jump, if you are towards max. I have had many rifles shoot accurate near max.

That was my varminter in 223 :) and 55 gr vmax, what it likes is 25.7 grains of varget, today all my loads were 27.0 grains

Why would you think that going away from an accurate load by 1.3gr, wouldn't result in a change?
Do you think a gun will be accurate with any and every abstract charge?

1.3 grains is a big jump for a .223. I usually only increase in steps of .2 to .3 grains in my smaller cases. On my .338s I only make adjustments in .5 grain increments and have seen some significant changes to groups with a .5 grain adjustment. If my gun was shooting .25 MOA, I would not mess with it. If you were trying to get more velocity and a big jump opened your groups up, you may want to adjust seating depths to see if that helps. If not, try a diffrent powder or stick with your good shooting load.

What thing really likes is RL-17 (very slow), it shoots 2.5 inches lower then Varget load, but its almost one hole 0.15 inch 5 shots at 100. The original load with Varget was 25.5 gr and yes I did increase it by 0.2 to 25.7 groups stayed the same, so today I thought why not lets just try to max out...

Next thing I will decrease load from 27gr to 26.8 and working back unless I find sweet spot, the bullet seating depth I been tweaking with it last year and end up seating 0.018 of lands

Why would you think that going away from an accurate load by 1.3gr, wouldn't result in a change?
Do you think a gun will be accurate with any and every abstract charge?

I wasn't expecting groups to open up that much, but that's almost +200 fps increase. So I will step down and I might just get it right...

You may wanna try a load with benchmark starting at about 23grns or a load with H4895 at about 24.5grns.

Well how fast do you want to miss?? Have yet to find a round that prefers Varget...Probably because it isnt as accurate @ full throttle. Tac/H335 however are about as good as it gets for full throttle loads with the 55s in the 223 with Benchmark showing promise in some rifles.
My J action Savage only likes the 55SPSX in front of a medium load of AA2200 so guess what I load for itlightbulb Yep you guessed it 23.5 grains of AA2200 a CCI 450 primer and the 55SPSX set @ 2.31. It aint fast,preaty or famous but it sure is a prairie dog killer inside of 250 yards!!

I did few loads with H335, was not bad, but Varget is making tighter groups, also I had some good results with IMR4064 and RL15. So what Benchmark and H4895 can yield? I guess I can try them out, thing is with 1:12 twist I have limited selection and for some reason it doesn't like BT bullets. Although 55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips were the only BT grouping well.

IMR 8208xbr that's something new, never heard of it, looks like it can me loaded in 308 and 260 I hope. Universal powder that's what I'm after :D
I tried Trail Boss, its subsonic alright, but grouped terribly like 3"@100.

Last edited:
I have found it delivers both speed and accuracy in my .223AI, .223 & 22-250 loads.
Just wish someone around here sold it in a keg at a decent price. Sportsmans has it for 21.99 lb.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.