.444 Marlin bullets/information.

Alibiiv

I acquired a vintage (1971) .444 Marlin. My son picked one up too, and we would like to use them for black bear hunting this coming season. We like monolithic bullets, but can only find the Hammer 205 grain Jack Hammer bullet. I would like to use something a little heavier, but keep striking out. We are looking for a total "through-and-though" pass through shot from 50-60 yards. Perhaps the 205 grain Jack Hammer will get us what we are looking for? I know there are some hard cast bullets that are heavier bullets, and lots of pistol bullets; but, nothing that is monolithic. If tracking is involved, leaking from both sides make the task a whole lot easier. I know that some are of the opinion that a .444 is not necessary to take out a bear. I totally agree with this opinion, but... taking one out and retrieving one out of the dense woods/cover (usually at dusk or in the dark) is something else. From 50-60 yards I do not want to be shooting a pistol bullet due to the uncertainty of the bullet breaking apart at the rifle velocities. The Hammer bullet is the only mono I can find, curious if there are any other members here with experience using the 205 grain Jack Hammer bullets on game? Curious if anyone has another source of heavier monolithic bullets? Curious if anyone has had any experience using the 265 grain Hornady FTX flex tip for a hunting bullet? I know there's lots of questions, this is new territory for us, and would like top get it right the first time. Any information would be apprecited.

Straight stocked?. I have one from the same time one of my favorites. The ftx are great I believe there are still videos from scooter backfired on YT that is all about the T4. I would think that. 205 would be coming out pretty fast and will be no issues taking an elk at 100 yards

I acquired a vintage (1971) .444 Marlin. My son picked one up too, and we would like to use them for black bear hunting this coming season. We like monolithic bullets, but can only find the Hammer 205 grain Jack Hammer bullet. I would like to use something a little heavier, but keep striking out. We are looking for a total "through-and-though" pass through shot from 50-60 yards. Perhaps the 205 grain Jack Hammer will get us what we are looking for? I know there are some hard cast bullets that are heavier bullets, and lots of pistol bullets; but, nothing that is monolithic. If tracking is involved, leaking from both sides make the task a whole lot easier. I know that some are of the opinion that a .444 is not necessary to take out a bear. I totally agree with this opinion, but... taking one out and retrieving one out of the dense woods/cover (usually at dusk or in the dark) is something else. From 50-60 yards I do not want to be shooting a pistol bullet due to the uncertainty of the bullet breaking apart at the rifle velocities. The Hammer bullet is the only mono I can find, curious if there are any other members here with experience using the 205 grain Jack Hammer bullets on game? Curious if anyone has another source of heavier monolithic bullets? Curious if anyone has had any experience using the 265 grain Hornady FTX flex tip for a hunting bullet? I know there's lots of questions, this is new territory for us, and would like top get it right the first time. Any information would be apprecited.
This is what you want if you want petals that sheer. https://cuttingedgebullets.com/products/44-200gr-handgun-raptor?_pos=2&_fid=aaf82431a&_ss=c
This is what you want if you want a massive hole due to 3x expansion. https://makerbullets.com/proddetail.php?prod=429225P They have 275gr also, but they're long.
Those both say pistol bullets, but they'll do more than fine in your 444. I use them in my 44mag rifle.

There's a guy that did a lot of handgun hunting with 44mag and of all the monos the raptor came out on top for him. I think he posted it on here.

I run Speer Gold Dots 270g in my 44 Mag lever, and my buddy uses the same in his 444 Marlin. It is an extremely tough bullet. Even in the 444 it punches clean through most things except really large boars.
The Hornady 265g is another he uses, but it is a different animal to the Speer bullet. Expands quite large.
Know nothing about Hammer bullets, sorry.

Cheers.

Hawk bullets as well

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240605-201628.png
    Screenshot_20240605-201628.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 15
Recovery is key for sure.
Exactly correct, recovery is key. We hunt in Maine where the coyote population is extremely healthy where we hunt. A couple of years ago a hunter shot a bear at dusk and it was tracked until midnight when they tracking ended. At first light the guide and hunter were back at it, only to find the bear right where the hunter said it didn't go. Both the front and hind quarters were totally eaten off by the coyotes. Most of the places in Maine where we hunt we are on either tree stands or ground blinds that are located on shooting lanes. Anything outside of the shooting lane and it is almost impossible to travel through woods without a struggle.

This is what you want if you want petals that sheer. https://cuttingedgebullets.com/products/44-200gr-handgun-raptor?_pos=2&_fid=aaf82431a&_ss=c
This is what you want if you want a massive hole due to 3x expansion. https://makerbullets.com/proddetail.php?prod=429225P They have 275gr also, but they're long.
Those both say pistol bullets, but they'll do more than fine in your 444. I use them in my 44mag rifle.

There's a guy that did a lot of handgun hunting with 44mag and of all the monos the raptor came out on top for him. I think he posted it on here.
Thank you for your reply. I will look into these bullets closer. The 200gr Cutting Edge is interesting, the Maker bullets have more of a spire point and we are feeding these bullets into a tubular magazine.

You really can't beat a good hard cast 300 grain wide meplat bullet .
I totally agree with you about the hard cast bullets. I noticed that Buffalo Bore makes a hard-cast, 300 grain bullets that is 270 grains traveling at 2250fps with 3000+ foot pounds of energy. This again is something we have researched. I did email Rim Rock bullets who make the hard cast bullets for Buffalo Bore. They sell a 255 grain, gas check bullet that has a BHN of 22, and a metplat of .305 thousandths, that is made from Buffalo Bore's custom mold. The manufactured ammunition from Buffalo Bore is $84 a box, not the end of the world from quality ammunition; but... I would prefer to load my own ammunition. I was hoping to get some feedback from the Rim Rock about this bullet, but have yet to hear back from them.

Recent Posts