.444 Marlin bullets/information.

Midway carries some Cast Performance bullets , temporarily unavailable , that would fit the bill .
They also have a 265 grain Lehigh Defense bullet in stock that looks similar to a cast bullet .

I totally agree with you about the hard cast bullets. I noticed that Buffalo Bore makes a hard-cast, 300 grain bullets that is 270 grains traveling at 2250fps with 3000+ foot pounds of energy. This again is something we have researched. I did email Rim Rock bullets who make the hard cast bullets for Buffalo Bore. They sell a 255 grain, gas check bullet that has a BHN of 22, and a metplat of .305 thousandths, that is made from Buffalo Bore's custom mold. The manufactured ammunition from Buffalo Bore is $84 a box, not the end of the world from quality ammunition; but... I would prefer to load my own ammunition. I was hoping to get some feedback from the Rim Rock about this bullet, but have yet to hear back from them.
Check out Missouri bullet company for cast.

I acquired a vintage (1971) .444 Marlin. My son picked one up too, and we would like to use them for black bear hunting this coming season. We like monolithic bullets, but can only find the Hammer 205 grain Jack Hammer bullet. I would like to use something a little heavier, but keep striking out. We are looking for a total "through-and-though" pass through shot from 50-60 yards. Perhaps the 205 grain Jack Hammer will get us what we are looking for? I know there are some hard cast bullets that are heavier bullets, and lots of pistol bullets; but, nothing that is monolithic. If tracking is involved, leaking from both sides make the task a whole lot easier. I know that some are of the opinion that a .444 is not necessary to take out a bear. I totally agree with this opinion, but... taking one out and retrieving one out of the dense woods/cover (usually at dusk or in the dark) is something else. From 50-60 yards I do not want to be shooting a pistol bullet due to the uncertainty of the bullet breaking apart at the rifle velocities. The Hammer bullet is the only mono I can find, curious if there are any other members here with experience using the 205 grain Jack Hammer bullets on game? Curious if anyone has another source of heavier monolithic bullets? Curious if anyone has had any experience using the 265 grain Hornady FTX flex tip for a hunting bullet? I know there's lots of questions, this is new territory for us, and would like top get it right the first time. Any information would be apprecited.

While not the Flex Tip, the old Hornady 265 SP worked well for many years, and I suspect the 265gr Flex will work well. If you can find them, Speer makes a 270gr Deep Curl that works very well also. Also, there are 300gr bullets, but the old Marlin twist rates may not stabilize those. I have mold for a 255 grain .430" bullet that I cast heat treated wheel weights from, and in my 44 mags, it will completely go through elk with fairly quick kills.

Recent Posts