Winchester .350 legend

Yes I bought one 3 weeks.
A AR15 upper.
the biggest mistake I have ever made. !!! Upper will not feed ammo. Used the 350 legend marked magazine that upper came with. Feed ramps look good appears to be issue with the magazine the gun came with but now I have tried 3 different Brands of magazines.....tried 3 different brands and gr of ammo.
I Spoke to company rep from magazine company. He tells me to take dermal tool and grind down front of magazine so this big fat 150 gr bullet will leave the magazine ! Still failure to feed. Rep then sent me text picture of 2 magazine to show me how much steel to grind off their new magazine ! , gun still will not go bang ,bang ! All they can tell me is industry having issues with AR15 platform. We have switched every part out in this upper and with different lowers , still will not feed or auto ?
I have been dealing with out state visitors for Xmas the last Week so have not had to chance to even try to figure out issue. I live in Iowa , 3 miles from Mississippi River bridge. Going to put a few hrs and I guess a few more phone calls then it's going over the bridge. Would not wish this on anyone. I had Planned to use this gun for Iowa deer season , had to go back to deer slug gun. If you do go with 350 legend go with bolt gun not the AR15 platform.... industry does not have bugs out if it. Google the issues , save your self ha ha ha. MD
Thanks for posting this I have been thinking for the last couple months about getting this round, you saved me some hassel.

I just bought the Winchester xpr with the vortex scope. Can't wait to shoot it.got to wait a week. Boo.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this I have been thinking for the last couple months about getting this round, you saved me some hassel.

I wouldn't write it off because this one post.
I have 3 uppers chambered in this and all feed fine. In fact the local gun shop builds them and most run great he has had one that will not feed out of 20 or more.

Now for the next question, ammo.
I see hornady and federal have joined Winchester.
Anyone been shooting all 3 yet.

Last edited:
No I have shot the Winchester fmj, 150, and 180.
I'm holding g off buying any more cause I talked with Superior ammo last week and he will be offering ammo loaded with the hammer 124gr legend bullet. I will be all over those.

I've shot a couple hundred rounds through the 350. Most all of them were reloads.
The resized 180 Speer bullets shot completely through a 24" box stacked with paper at 100 meters.
Current hunting load is 25 grs of lil gun with 140 ftx @2500 w/18" barrel. This is a max load for my AR.
The 200 ftx shows the most promise in terms of consistent accuracy. There is a new 160 ftx being released from Hornady.

Now for the next question, ammo.
I see brandy, and federal have joined Winchester.
Anyone been shooting all 3 yet.
I have shot the Federal 180 grain, the Winchester 145 grain and the Winchester 150 grain. Going from the 145 FMJ to the Federal 180 grain I was shooting 1" left at 100 yards. I was testing to see how close they would be.

Ok yeah final question was going to be for reloaders.

124 hammers has my attention too.

Like to hear what everyone's loading up.

Ill be loading for a rifle with a 22 inch barrel.

Guys dont write the AR15 350 LEGEND UPPER off as a bad idea or all are lemons. thats not what i am saying.
I just got a bad upper with issues. I am sharing my frustraions a little after a month of dealing with this upper. internet is full of the same issues i am having BUT MOST are having good luck with the gun.
I think it is the magazines on my gun......
BUT I HAVE OTHER NEWS........
Will my freind who has tore my 350 legend upper down in 100 pcs it seems , found in the last day that that their is no extarctor spring in bolt carrier....... He thinks this is my problem..... company is sending me a spring that was never in bolt carrier. i never thought to dissasmble that.
I just dont belive this could be my whole problem but my freind thinks so. Bolt is not wanting to close the last 1/4 of inch bringing in a new shell into barrel..... so i guess we will see if that is the issue. I am a old guy and no very Very little about thee AR15 plat forms. I like to shoot them but dont have the paitence with them anymore.
you guys think a extractor spring could be the whole problem ? time will tell. bad news my freind that has my gun tore apart is dealing with a broken water pipe in his house will take a some time to get gun back together so i will report back when i get some new info. MD

It very well could be the issue. If it's just not closing that last little bit. Maybe try a a heavier or lighter buffer weight. Most 350 problems seem to be the round getting caught up well before that last bit. Most are suck on an angle from mag to chamber. I've very Curious as to why these are having issues when the 450 is not.

Will if you look at the internet they had same types of issues with the 450 bushmaster. at the begining of mfg. About the first few months of production. freind at work had a 450 bushmaster faulure to feed. could never get his to run.
I have noticed the same thing here with 350 legend.
i bought my 350 legend upper 1 month ago but you never know it could have been one of the first ones made.
could have wrong gas tube in it or wrong size whole in gas tube or wrong buffer spring etc. time will tell as soon as we get this extarctor spring in it. bolt carier needs to close 1/4 more inch and i will be going bang , bang , bang , bang and bang. ha ha ha. this gun has been sonething else. MD

Just sent out a box of 124g 35 cal Sledge Hammers to Superior Ammo to do load work and testing with.

We will be load developing the rifle that @snox801 is donating with the 124's in the next couple of weeks. I hope. It is Ruger American so won't have any feed back on feeding. We put a large radius on the meplat with the AR in mind.

This bullet should get into the 2600 fps range making for a great 300y deer/pig rifle.

I'll post what we come up with.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts