Why so many shots?

All reasons why I cannot understand how anyone can hunt with a scope with a plex type reticle and capped turrets (the knobs underneath probably not zeroed either). Out to 200 yards, probably no issue, but after that one needs either a graduated reticle or dialable turrets or both...

I also guess that the shooter was suffering from some buck fever and over confident or just a lousy shot. An Elk is a pretty big target, I have held "kentucky" elevation on a 12x12 plate at 320 yards with a fixed 6x scope and shot a slightly bigger than 2" group with a sporter 308. Granted that the drop at 400 is quite a bit more than at 320 and I had been zeroed at 160 yards.

I'm pretty sure like most of us, he would love to have it harvested with one shot quickly and humanely or better shot placement(s). Unfortunately, that was not the case.

We can criticize it all we want but at the end of the day God was watching over him and blessed him with a very nice bull. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure like most of us, he would love to have it harvested with one shot quickly and humanely or better shot placement(s). Unfortunately, that was not the case.

We can criticize it all we want but at the end of the day God was watching over him and blessed him with a very nice bull. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. :rolleyes:

Amen!

I second the amen!!

People that put up videos like that make me sick and I thought I heard him whisper to the shooter just before the first shot that it was 450!

This is why I shoot bergers. Even thoug I'm not shooting a shoulder cannon, just an '06, it still does the trick quick and clean.

The problem with this situation isn't the bullet but the placement. There's not a bullet on the planet that would have helped this guy. Bergers seem to be the most controversial maker out right now, some guys swear by it, others despise them. All in all it just depends on placement.

Guys I am very fortunate to get to see quite a few big bulls fall here in eastern Nevada every year. I can tell you until it is you looking through the scope its hard to imagine what goes through a hunters mind the first time they see a trophy caliber bull. This last season I had one of my clients use my 6.5 Creed after learning he really knew nothing about the rifle he brought with him. The bull was 700 yards on the nose slightly turned away from us. The 140gr Berger laid him out like thunder. Just the week before I watched on as my own father who shoots with me all the time used our 300 Win loaded with 230gr Bergers. A massive 380 plus 6 point we had been scouting presented a 650 yard broadside shot. There was no rush as the bull had not a clue we were even there. Me dad got in a solid prone position and Smashed him high in the shoulder rite at dark. After two days of tracking the bull in heavy cover and jumping him several times it was apparent the wound was not fatal and we moved on. This was the first bull I ever had walk away from a Berger. boyd.jpg
Here is the bull dad ended up picking out after the mishap on the bigger bull. Three well placed rounds through the boiler before he went down. Rifle was a 270wsm and 150gr Bergers at 575 yards. The hole you can see is actually two 150gr Bergers that entered about an inch apart. The third is in the opposing shoulder entering from the opposite side after the first two spun him around. He had all three rounds into the bull so fast I didn't know what the hell was going on. He simply stated after we reached the downed bull that he was not walking another step and didn't want this one to get away.

Your dad did it right...the 2nd time. We don't fool around any more, if they are on their feet we shoot again. Sometimes they go down on the first shot only to regain their feet and we thump them again. It's just our policy. Elk are just tough animals, and just like men, some are tougher than others. The boiler is still the best shot imho. On deer I will take a high shoulder, but on elk it's the boiler. I want vitals to experience trama.:) Something else needs to be said yet again; it's always easier to arm chair quarter back. He was in the moment on a nice bull and with that comes all kinds of pressures and variables. I'll give him some grace. I've missed shots that I should not have missed, and I've made decisions I regretted later. This guy wishes right now he would have made better choices including not posting this video on the web. I want to learn from that.

Here is the bull dad ended up picking out after the mishap on the bigger bull. Three well placed rounds through the boiler before he went down. Rifle was a 270wsm and 150gr Bergers at 575 yards. The hole you can see is actually two 150gr Bergers that entered about an inch apart. The third is in the opposing shoulder entering from the opposite side after the first two spun him around. He had all three rounds into the bull so fast I didn't know what the hell was going on. He simply stated after we reached the downed bull that he was not walking another step and didn't want this one to get away.

This is an honest question, and I don't mean to be a jerk or rude, but do you think that hitting the elk with the 230 grain slug would have been better than the 150gr? I do. I'm curious why the switch to the 270WSM? I think the energy transfer (note I didn't say energy) of a 150gr @ 575 yards from a 270 WSM just isn't there. I say hit 'em with a slow brick not a fast rock. That's what makes a 1911 .45 so nice. I think that's where some lose sight of terminal ballistics. Again, not pointing the finger, just questioning the move I guess.

Awesome elk BTW! I would have loved to of seen the bigger one!!! What state do you operate in, backcountryguide? Looks gorgeous!

Last edited:
The wsm was his rifle and he felt more comfortable with it than the Win but the biggest reason was I was seriously questioning the 230 hybrid and what happened. The shot was high but we had killed dozens of bulls with the 210 HVLD with similar shot placements. The wsm did a fine job and the second two rounds were not required just insurance. An autopsy revealed some damage. And I took no offence to the question. I am totally with you on big bullets for bulls i was just giving a couple different scenarios was all. As a side note we have killed a number of bulls with the 270cal 150gr HVLD also the the location of the second bull did not permit packing a 15lb rifle. We were 7 miles from the truck when he killed the bull. The thicker pj country allowed us to close in a bit and I wouldnt of let him stretch it out much father then he did with the lighter rifle.

First, those that are criticizing the shot, shot placement, bullet choice or anything else are opening the hunting community to more posturing by the anti's. Stop feeding them tools for propaganda.

Second, you have no right to criticize until you walk a mile in that mans shoes.

Third, we can not tell what the first shot did. The bull arched his back and clearly stood still not knowing what happened. One shot, one kill clearly does not happen every time. Perhaps it was a heart lung shot and the bull would have gone down anyway. It's non of your GD business.

Having only watched on video, I can not say one way or another how good the shot was but recent videos I have seen with really big guns and bullets still do not drop the animal first shot, even when it is clearly a heart+lung hit.

IMHO only those who feel they have flubbed a first shot get to criticize. Everyone else is a DH.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.