why no custom browning bars???

jasmitty1978

Hello. Im new and this is my first post. I have been browsing for a while now,and im ready to ask my question. Why are there no custom browning bars? I am 36 and have been shooting them since I was a kid. I live in Illinois. My father owns them. My grandfather owns them. Two uncles. You get the point. Anyway,sure they don't all shoot well but most do. I have shot 7 different ones in my life and only one was not accurate. Ok. I have an safari mark 2. .338 win mag. Last fall my father dropped it out of a stand. Ruined the muzzle and crown. I know I can have a factory replacement barrel installed. But I don't want that. I want to go custom with it. I want to have a 28"barrel chambered for the.338/375 Ruger wildcat cartridge installed on it. I have already been turned ddown by two local smiths. Someone please explain to me why this is so difficult. If a guy can install a factory replacement barrel,then another guy can build and install a custom one. RIGHT?? Im serious about getting this done. And have a little money that I don't know how else to spend,so someone please help me out. The round fits in the magazine. The win mag operates at higher pressures. So what's the problem?

Last edited:
I'd say accuracy with the new ones is the biggest reason and the only reason I don't own one. I'll buy an old bar but not a new one. Idk what they did to screw them up but a friend has a new 7mm mag that barely holds a 4"group at 100yrd and growing says its fine and won't do anything for him **** pore service if ya ask me

I saw one in an article a couple of decades ago chambered to .458 Winchester Magnum. Some one figured out the cycling, and it's intended use didn't need a bunch of accuracy.

Just saying it has been done, finding someone that wants to put their name on it will likely be difficult.

Good Luck.

Try shimming the forearm down a little with a small washer. Dont get it too tight. And experiment, different ammo.

My grandfather told me about the .458. COOL. He said they cut the barrel off and threaded it to accept the .45 caliber barrel.

Well after a few calls and emails, I have somee answers. The main problem is the barrel is pressed in, guess twisting the reciever is likely.The second problem is that browning will not sell the tooling they have designed to remove the barrel without twisting the reciever.
But I'm not discouraged. I have a idea about getting it out but I need some advice from those with more knowledge than me.

I saw how guys used to remove pressed in shafts from aluminum water pump housings, by encasing the entire housing in a block of frozen wood pulp. Then they would clamp the block of ice in a fixture, and they could pull and torque on it all they wanted. Til it melted at least.

Think that could work???

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.