Why is there a thread for a SPECIFIC cartridge here?

Go to most gun stores and look for 7 mm Shooting Times ammo and see how many carry it. **** few. It IS obscure, a good cartridge but relatively obscure regardless of how many rifles you may have chambered in it.
But my question is HOW does this cartridge rate its own forum here. How about .300 PRC? or 44/50? or 8 mm German?

Could be in a few years my 6.5 PRC will be just as obscure.

Eric B.

The site was founded in 2001. I'm guessing it was a very popular long range round before we had the options we have today. It was one of my first.

Fast and flat was how I did long range back in the early 2000's. 300-400 yard point blank range. Hold a little high at 500 yards.

257 Weatherby & 7mm STW were two of my first "long range" rifles. Just point and shoot...

scopes, range finders, heavy bullets, fast twists, new cartridges, and ballistic apps on our phones, are all relatively new...

Why have its own thread? For exactly the reason you point out. The 7mm STW is more 'obscure' than other popular rounds. You don't have to look very far on the internet to find load and ballistic data on the 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 RUM, 28 Nosler, 300 Win Mag, 7 Mag 30-06, etc. But finding a good repository of info on lesser known calibers can be a gold mine - especially if it is filled with the amount of good knowledge available on this sight. I should think there ought to be more threads dedicated to other obscure rounds. LRH ought to be "the" sight to come to for info on such matters. Heck, we have threads dedicated to the use, performance and load data of a single bullet. How cool is that?

I just built a 6.5 stw. I use 7mm stw dies for the body and 264 win mag dies for shoulder and neck. No ammo is not available in stores but what ammo is. To all wild cat gun builders keep enjoying what you do. Its not the caliber or bullet ir all the different components it doing what you what to do and have fun doing it. If you send a 140 grain bullet down the barrel at 3000 fps it doesn't matter what case did it. It will end up in the same place. Anyone that disagree go ahead and blow up my post. It's all yours.

On a long range "hunting" forum I would have chosen any other round than the creedmoor to base my complaint on vs a magnum cartridge with higher velocity, heavier bullets, and better ballistics. (One must understand terminal ballistics but thats an entire other conversation) Yes there is the cost of recoil however with a proper brake that is almost eliminated. I have 3 stw's I use for hunting. Not saying the creedmoor doesnt serve a purpose as I have one somewhere in the back of my safe that I used to target shoot during the craze. It is also sometimes hard to find info on the stw as others have stated, especially for new bullets and powder. The #1 reason I signed up for this site is based on the availability of information on the stw for long range "hunting" purposes. Almost everyone in a sporting goods store can tell you about a creedmoor with first hand experience however again those guys are hunting 95% under 400 yards and little to no experience successfully taking big game in the 700-1000 yrd range and beyond. Or I could have just said because this is a very good place to ask about such caliber as their is little information readily available in other places

I just built a 6.5 stw. I use 7mm stw dies for the body and 264 win mag dies for shoulder and neck. No ammo is not available in stores but what ammo is. To all wild cat gun builders keep enjoying what you do. Its not the caliber or bullet ir all the different components it doing what you what to do and have fun doing it. If you send a 140 grain bullet down the barrel at 3000 fps it doesn't matter what case did it. It will end up in the same place. Anyone that disagree go ahead and blow up my post. It's all yours.
Very cool build. I have a 7STW but have given serious thought to a 6.5 or even a .25. Would be very intrested in the results from your new 6.5STW.