Why do you use Match bullets hunting?

Why do you use Match bullets for hunting, or do you?

• Because they are most accurate from my gun and I don't handload!

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Because I'm careful with shot placement and want all energy dumped in animal.

Votes: 14 9.8%
  • I do handload and still prefer and use match bullets for hunting.

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • I use them for deer size animals only, 300lb and up I use a hunting design.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Using match bullets for hunting deer size or larger animals is not wise.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Only hunting bullets for me, Penetration is required for my hunting at any angle.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • It's what I could fined/buy, and I see many videos of people shooting them. Should be good!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only use certain match bullets that are known to be effective, shot placement is king.

Votes: 68 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For my purposes, I want a bullet that will mushroom to approximately 2X the org dia and provide full penetration or close to it. I also want to minimize the amount of meat loss because I want to put as much as I can in the freezer. My intent every time I pull the trigger is to 1) put the animal down quickly 2) minimize meat loss. I try to locate the impact area to accomplish both. Should I hit or have the bullet go thru a Ham or shoulder whether on entry or exit, I have not done my part. My first bull taken with a TSX Barnes was thru the middle of the first lung and out the rear of the second lung. No ribs were encountered on either side. As the bull ran towards me I could see blood spurting from both holes! The far side hide had a hole with a perfect clover leaf shape - evidence of the 2X expansion and mushroom. There was internal damage, but not a lot - about a 4 to 5" wound channel from start to finish. But I lost very little meat.
Two years ago, I took a small bull at 375 yds with a Hammer bullet. my hit was terribly low, but close to the heart. The bull rolled down the hill, but never regained it's feet. I'm not sure if another style of bullet would have anchored that bull. Another hunter in our party borrowed my spare rifle as his had scope issues and took a cow at 350 yds. His shot placement was also bad, but again the cow was immobilized and a quick follow up shot ended it. I believe one or more of the petals in those two instances did the damage as the shot locations in both instances were extremely poor. As I sometimes hunt in Calif. I have not choice but to use a non lead bullet but as long as I do my part, the Barnes TSX, TTSX and LRX and the various forms of Hammer bullets work just fine.

I apologize, I agree my last comments were too generalized regarding copper alloy bullets. One day maybe I'll try another brand of copper bullets. I guess my experience with the Barnes TTSX, the first solid that I tried, got me a little "gun shy" with the category. Again, I know many have had great experiences with the TTSX and other coppers.
No apology needed. I did not mean to sound like I was directed at you. I just quoted your post as it fit what I was talking about.

What I care about is a bullet that reliably performs terminally as advertised.

If its supposed to mushroom it should do so throughout a stated range of velocities. It should not "energy dump" at one velocity or depend on if it hits bone or just soft tissue, pencil in another scenario, and give 3 caliber expansion in another.

If this means that I can't brag about the extreme range at which I shot my game…..so be it! Respect for the game should be a prerequisite!

In reading and rereading the responses to this topic, I found that I should've worded my last sentence a bit differently!

Perhaps, it should've read, "As this is a Long Range "Hunting" forum …..Respect for the game should be our prerequisite" memtb

I've used both, but I prefer and primarily use match bullets for taking big game. Why? Because they kill well. All energy is expended on the animal, and they expire quickly. That's it. A blood trail is not necessary if you anchor it right where it was.

Mostly because it works is why I do it. My brother in law had 150 depredation permits for his farm to shoot does. Handed them all to me and said have fun. I shot 130 with a 223 using factory black hills 69gr match. The furthest one ran about 50 yards. The other 20 were killed with various calibers from a 44 special pistol up to 375h&h. The one that ran the furthest went about 150 yards, and was shot with a 45-70.

IMG_6267.png

To the OP.....I usually try not to hurt sensitive people's feelings, BUT........
If you're still asking this question you don't possess the intelligence to understand the answers.
This post has nothing to do with this post and questions. You could of ignored the post, but you had to post a derogatory statement and show your intelligence!