Which three must have calibers.

Which three must have calibers based on current bullet selection, not necessarily cartridges. For medium to large game if you only had three choices. List in order from most important to least important as if you would have to narrow down to only owning the first listed.

Sorry for the edit, but say up to elk for large game.

460(Handgun)

I have 2 of my 3 now...

.257wby (LH custom Rem 700)

.338wm (LH custom Win M70)

Gotta figure out what to run in between them... thinking 7RM or 300wm... maybe maybe step up to something even faster or odd like 7STW or 30-28NOS
Hey you silly wabbit, you can't shoot ducks with them. Signed; Elmer Fudd

Being in the UK and shooting in Europe, I also have to consider the remaining countries who ban current or past military calibres. So:

25-06 My fav calibre. Suitable for smaller deer species.
7x64 Benneke. Larger deer (red, sika, fallow) and boar.
300WM. Because every collection needs an 'if all else fails' goto rifle.

Interesting, apparently they don't ban calibers used by US snipers or special forces? Because both the 25-06 and 300WM are used by them.

If you're going to go off the shelf...

.243 Winchester
.308 Winchester
.338 Winchester Magnum

You can hunt anything in North America from prairie dogs to grizzly bears.

Plus, push come to shove some of your brass is interchangeable.

I would feel adequately equipped to hunt anything outside of Africa with those three rifles and you could hunt an awful lot of stuff in Africa too.

OK, OK, so I like the new Hornady cartridges. So sue me.
1. 6.5 PRC -> my Nevada all-around hunting cartridge (Browning X-Bolt Pro)
2. 6.5 Creedmoor -> my competition cartridge (Ruger Precision Rifle)
3. 300 PRC -> what the.300 Win mag should have been (Ain't gonna buy a rifle for it. Just sold my .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt B/C I now have the 6.5 PRC.)

Eric B.

My wife: 338 WM. Myself: .375AI - if I "had" to go with something else....I'd step down to the .338WM.

No need for the other two choices! ;) memtb

I know more than one serious whitetail hunter that hunts exclusively with the .338 Winchester magnum. They spend a lot of time patterning big, smart, mature bucks and they do not want to have a bad angle or a bullet failure prevent the collection of the trophy of a lifetime.

I was a one rifle hunter for a long time and just used an old Remington 700 in 30-06 and I did just fine. When I started hunting bigger things I got a 375 H&H. You never know when you will run into a sasquatch.

223 Rem
308 Win
300 WinMag
I am in the process of retiring (selling off) all my 41 other calibers. The hardest for me to part with is my 9.3X62 which has been my favorite driven game caliber.

223 Rem
308 Win
300 WinMag
I am in the process of retiring (selling off) all my 41 other calibers. The hardest for me to part with is my 9.3X62 which has been my favorite driven game caliber.
I have been watching and is a lot a fun, my thinking is start with shotgun, got to have a 22 rimfire, then start with the others , this is a tuff one . I think a lot of deer has fell to 22 long rifle ,maybe not legally. i have not been a part of it , yet. I like this ,this gonna be on going with this , thanks buck

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts