Which one…

Ucsdryder

Magnus or 338 ultra?

I picked up a TBAC cert and I'm trying to decide between the 2 suppressors. Ultimately it'll go on a 20" 300 norma but I have a feeling I'll use it a lot on my 7saum and 6.5cm when the wife and kids want to shoot assuming I can get the connectors to match up.

I'm not recoil shy, but I don't want to get pounded so the more recoil suppression the better. On the other hand this will be a dedicated back country elk rifle. So weight and length are always going to be an issue.

I already have a Dominus.

On specs alone I would choose the magnus. Shorter and lighter while still having good suppression.

I'll be interested to see what kind of performance you get out of the 20" 300 Norma. I'm starting over with mine and will go shorter if the performance is there.

On specs alone I would choose the magnus. Shorter and lighter while still having good suppression.

I'll be interested to see what kind of performance you get out of the 20" 300 Norma. I'm starting over with mine and will go shorter if the performance is there.
I'm going to call TBAC Monday and pick their brain but was hoping to get some additional opinions, hopefully from somebody that's been behind both!

I know there are others that have started the short 300norma (preferably AI) journey, so I think we'll start seeing some reports soon.

Magnus HUB is the next one I want, for a short 30 Sherman hunting rifle mainly. With the HUB model you can put any of the standard inserts in the back, and you will be able to make it fit on any barrel that's threaded, 30 cal and smaller. Or you can get the CB and order brakes for any rifle you want to put it on, there are multiple ways to make it work.

That said sometimes there's no replacement for displacement, and my 338 Ultra is a great can. I use it on a 300 BLK and it's the quietest suppressed anything I've ever shot. I got it originally for a 338 LM so I needed the .338 bore, if you don't think you'll ever step up in bore size the Magnus is the best bet IMO. But man the 338 runs amazingly well on my 338LM, 300 RUM, 30 Sherman, etc. It has a ton of volume and works like a dream for what it is - not the smallest and not the lightest but for darn sure the most volume. I hunt stands mainly and I don't have problems with a 26" barrel and the 338 Ultra, if I had to carry it around through the trees I might be singing a different song.

Magnus HUB is the next one I want, for a short 30 Sherman hunting rifle mainly. With the HUB model you can put any of the standard inserts in the back, and you will be able to make it fit on any barrel that's threaded, 30 cal and smaller. Or you can get the CB and order brakes for any rifle you want to put it on, there are multiple ways to make it work.

That said sometimes there's no replacement for displacement, and my 338 Ultra is a great can. I use it on a 300 BLK and it's the quietest suppressed anything I've ever shot. I got it originally for a 338 LM so I needed the .338 bore, if you don't think you'll ever step up in bore size the Magnus is the best bet IMO. But man the 338 runs amazingly well on my 338LM, 300 RUM, 30 Sherman, etc. It has a ton of volume and works like a dream for what it is - not the smallest and not the lightest but for darn sure the most volume. I hunt stands mainly and I don't have problems with a 26" barrel and the 338 Ultra, if I had to carry it around through the trees I might be singing a different song.
Thoughts on recoil suppression between the 2?

The 338 would be softer shooting, simply because of the larger volume of the can spreading the gas out over a longer period of time.

But that said and having shot the 338 vs other Ultras, a well-fitting stock makes a bigger difference than which can is screwed on. To me recoil mitigation from a can is mostly about perception anyway - the reduction in sounds and blast alone makes a large subjective difference to most people.

I'm an unrepentant suppressor guy, but if recoil is a primary concern brakes will always be better.

The 338 would be softer shooting, simply because of the larger volume of the can spreading the gas out over a longer period of time.

But that said and having shot the 338 vs other Ultras, a well-fitting stock makes a bigger difference than which can is screwed on. To me recoil mitigation from a can is mostly about perception anyway - the reduction in sounds and blast alone makes a large subjective difference to most people.

***** I'm an unrepentant suppressor guy, but if recoil is a primary concern brakes will always be better. *****
I wholeheartedly agree with your last statement. It's been a while since I've shot a big magnum and this was confirmed recently with personal experience. On my 300NMI, I've shot with both a suppressor and a TI Pro 3 brake and the difference in felt recoil is substantial.

I've seen the same thing with both the stock and the perceived recoil of a suppressor by taking the crack out of the shot. The most miserable gun I've ever shot was a stock tikka 300wm super light with the factory stock. A good fitting aftermarket stock immediately did wonders. I've never spent any time behind a 300 norma and I refuse to shoot a braked rifle hunting, so I'm trying to use other experience to guide me down that fine line of weight/length and recoil/noise suppression. I'd prefer the smaller can, but I'm as concerned, or possibly more concerned, with having a rifle I look forward to shooting at the range.

Last edited:
I don't have experience with the Magnus, but I've been more than impressed with my 338 Ultra. It's an incredible can. I've tossed it on my 300 BLK and subs are crazy quiet - you only hear the action cycle. Do you ever see yourself going with a 338 cal rifle? If so, you'd already be set going with the 338 Ultra. Otherwise, the magnus would likely serve your needs very well.

I don't have experience with the Magnus, but I've been more than impressed with my 338 Ultra. It's an incredible can. I've tossed it on my 300 BLK and subs are crazy quiet - you only hear the action cycle. Do you ever see yourself going with a 338 cal rifle? If so, you'd already be set going with the 338 Ultra. Otherwise, the magnus would likely serve your needs very well.
Great point. I don't see myself going the 338 route anytime soon but having the option down the road would be nice.

I've seen the same thing with both the stock and the perceived recoil of a suppressor by taking the crack out of the shot. The most miserable gun I've ever shot was a stock tikka 300wm super light with the factory stock. A good fitting aftermarket stock immediately did wonders. I've never spent any time behind a 300 norma and I refuse to shoot a braked rifle hunting, so I'm trying to use other experience to guide me down that fine line of weight/length and recoil/noise suppression. I'd prefer the smaller can, but I'm as concerned, or possibly more concerned, with having a rifle I look forward to shooting at the range.
Have you shot a 300 Norma before?

I had not until I got mine. It weighs 10.7# ready to hunt and when fireforming with 90 grains of N570 and a 230 OTM, I was surprised at how mild the felt recoil was. My 300 Win Mag BAR shooting 180 Accubonds has a much sharper kick than the Norma does.

Mine is nowhere near unpleasant to shoot from the bench with a can attached but I get significantly more bipod hop with the suppressor than I do with the brake.

Have you shot a 300 Norma before?

I had not until I got mine. It weighs 10.7# ready to hunt and when fireforming with 90 grains of N570 and a 230 OTM, I was surprised at how mild the felt recoil was. My 300 Win Mag BAR shooting 180 Accubonds has a much sharper kick than the Norma does.

Mine is nowhere near unpleasant to shoot from the bench with a can attached but I get significantly more bipod hop with the suppressor than I do with the brake.
Nope! I'm hoping it comes in around 10 pounds, but with nxs5.5-25x50 I have and the suppressor it's probably going to come in closer to that 10.7 number.