Which Hunting Knife

Looking to upgrade my knife in my kill kit this year before the archery season. I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm a pack hunter. For that reason, I carry one knife, and 100% of the time I use the gutless method to pack out meat. That said, I currently have a brand that uses disposable blades. Personally, I think it's just meh.

I've been thinking maybe a fix blade, and have been eye balling for some time the Benchmade Altitude. What say the wise internet? No budget.
By a custom from a reputable maker, the steel is much better. I have 2 or 3 that can skin 10 or so deer with out a touch up, also i carry a knife roll 2 knives a skinner and a boneing knife, go on ebay and buy 2 old green river knives ( i mean old green river not new ) there light, easy to touch up ,cheap , and they are a proven preformer. Rolled up they are 1" around and 10" long and weigh under 1/2 pound. Good diamond strop works good.

Looking to upgrade my knife in my kill kit this year before the archery season. I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm a pack hunter. For that reason, I carry one knife, and 100% of the time I use the gutless method to pack out meat. That said, I currently have a brand that uses disposable blades. Personally, I think it's just meh.

I've been thinking maybe a fix blade, and have been eye balling for some time the Benchmade Altitude. What say the wise internet? No budget.
Schenck knives 100%. Made in USA of USA steel. Elmax is my favorite steel they use.

Check out Carl Colson Knives www.carlcolsonknives.com
He makes some killer knives that have super edges

I have several Benchmade knives and one cannot go wrong with anything made by them. They are a bit on the pricey side but hold the edge the best of any knives I have ever owned before and with the Lasersharp program you get free resharpening for life. Send them the knife and they will return it to you in like new condition. The only drawback is you cannot sharpen the blade yourself or have anyone else sharpen it or it voids the lifetime warranty. To get around this I have two of some of the knives, especially the pocket knives. one in my pocket or purse and one in getting sharpened. I am rough on my pocket knives and they manage to hold the edge between 3 to 5 months between sharpening. I highly recommend their products. Pricey but keep in mind that you get what you pay for.

I see a lot of nice knifes here. The only thing is are going cap the head out. You may want a different knife for that. Having a stone with you is a must. Small stone will work. I have carried a buck skinner and used for years. I still have to laugh every time I think about it.
The first year I elk hunted, was with a large party of people we had 10+ elk hanging. They were going to send a bunch of the meat packers. So the skinning began. (third Season Colo. It was cold) So the leader and I start skinning the elk. He had a big long buck knife about 9" long, and I had my buck skinner. We ended up going head to head, and I think he figure, being I was Mexico-North at the time I didn't know much about skinning. He was good, and I match him or better him during that skinning session.
The next year he showed up to a smaller knife or shorter knife. :) .

The Argali Serac warrants consideration. It's light at 3.2oz with the sheath and comfortable to use. S35VN is a fantastic blade steel for hunting knives at it takes and holds a keen edge without being so hard as to be difficult to field maintain. I've been through a dozen high quality knifes in as many years and the Serac to me is hunting knife perfection.

I also carry a tyto finisher with a few spare blades for fine caping work but that's not to say the Serac isn't perfectly capable of all dressing tasks. At just over 1oz it's hard not to justify carrying a backup.
F5B6F3DD-2212-4419-96A0-0FBB87C11199.jpeg

9A5CD7A7-A007-4666-B069-BB678D7B0289.jpeg

I see a lot of nice knifes here. The only thing is are going cap the head out. You may want a different knife for that. Having a stone with you is a must. Small stone will work. I have carried a buck skinner and used for years. I still have to laugh every time I think about it.
The first year I elk hunted, was with a large party of people we had 10+ elk hanging. They were going to send a bunch of the meat packers. So the skinning began. (third Season Colo. It was cold) So the leader and I start skinning the elk. He had a big long buck knife about 9" long, and I had my buck skinner. We ended up going head to head, and I think he figure, being I was Mexico-North at the time I didn't know much about skinning. He was good, and I match him or better him during that skinning session.
The next year he showed up to a smaller knife or shorter knife. :) .
Yea any thing over 4" is a waste of time

Just my opinion: when it's time to pack out, why worry about something that weighs roughly 6 ounces (what my two knives weigh combined) when you've already got 100 lbs slung over your shoulders? I keep a Havalon (2 ounces) in my kill kit and use it for about 2/3 of the butchering process, but also have a Bob Dozier Yukon Pro Skinner (4 ounces) on my belt for skinning and heavier work around bony areas. It's got amazing balance and heft, and I'll never go in the backcountry without it.

Attachments

• 06B7CDA8-5483-4FE1-B17C-3E1C3B43FF51.jpeg
    06B7CDA8-5483-4FE1-B17C-3E1C3B43FF51.jpeg
    896.6 KB · Views: 133
I have went though many knives in my hunting pack, but I notice that my basic Buck 110 folder is always around and in use so it must be my favorite......we do gutless method and it does fine even with the relatively short blade compared to a fixed blade. Easy to sharpen, but holds a edge long enough for me!
Bought my first Buck decades ago, but still have one. Will never forget when it was borrowed on a job by a client. This was back in the late 80's after Crocodile Dundee was such a big hit. His reaction when I snapped it open, "Now that's a knife"

I have a Benchmade Hunt Saddle Mtn Skinner
I can't explain how sharp it is or how well it retains it's edge.
In 3 seasons I haven't had to do more than run it over a ceramic rod a few times.