Which crossbow to buy?

There are several good crossbows out now.It is hard to beat the Killer Instinct Swat X1.Ravin.Ten point,wicked ridge and excaliber all make good crosbows.Good luck

I especially like the reverse draw design, it increases the length of the power stroke without increasing the size of the crossbow.

I started with a Wicked Ridge about 12yrs ago when crossbows became legal to use in PA w/out being handicappedā€¦I've had 2 wicked ridge and on my 3rd TenPointā€¦I like to upgrade every few yearsā€¦Currently using a Shadow NXT for the last 3yrs. I've killed 13 deer with it in that time. I upgraded the scope to a Hawke XB1 and I use the factory Pro Elite 400 bolts and Rage Hypodermic Trypan 100gr broad heads. It hasn't let me down yet.
I do replace the strings and cables routinely. Ten Point has been great as far as any issues or warranty claims I've made over the years.
I am hoping to get a new snow this year with the decock feature. Maintenance is paramount. Keep it clean, keep the rail well lubed and ALWAYS test pre season. I # my bolts when sighting in and then shoot from 20-50yds. There is usually 1 bolt that will not perform as well out of a half dozen. I also do not reuse bolts once they have killed a deer.
Also check your nocks before sight in, they are not always properly glued in.
I had the same bow last year, it was flawless ,I upgraded i 2023 to Ten Points limited run of the Vapor RS 470 which included the scope rails and the Rangemaster 100 scope with the dots and crosshairs ,the package is all I'll ever need ,accuracy and speed is incredible.Best bow ever that I've ever owned.

I have had 3 shoulder surgeries. I cant hold a bow back. This pass winter. My wife said i got u something. She come in carrying a new Wicked Ridge Raider 400 decock crossbow. I had told her i was going to look at one. The decock comes in real handy. Easy to unload your xbow at the end of the day. Wicked Ridge has a lifetime warranty. Look how long 10 point as been around.

For those that don't have a de-cocking X-Box, I recommend carrying a bolt with a field tip in your truck with a small target block and discharging the field point into the block after your hunt.

That said, I highly recommend those made in USA Tenpoints with the ACUslide.

Here's a GA 8-point I took this year on archery opening day with my Tenpoint.

I like mine šŸ‘šŸ» IMG_7784.jpeg

I finally took the plunge into Xbows this year. Like you, old shoulder injury gets aggravated by "repeated use" so Xbow it isā€¦. I chose mine after a bunch of research and shooting several owned by buddies. It is like rifles, and trucks, and everything really. I would say try on as many as possible, look up "Death by Bunji" on YouTube and watch a bunch of his stuff.

I have a Wicked Ridge x400, really like it, fast, accurate (good arrows matter!), and easy to cock with the built in string/pulley thing. I don't like the crank cockers but I see why some do. After shooting a bunch, I realize that most mechanical work will be done by authorized folks. A recurve Xbow can be "just" as fast but you can do a lot on your own (change strings, limbs, try different limbs, have backups on hand/in case, take string off between shooting/hunting seasonsā€¦ā€¦.)

Soā€¦ research, shoot a bunch, make up you own mind based on needs (and wants).

I might have to get a recurve Xbow for a backup!!!

Well, since this thread is still alive I thought I would follow up. Still like the Invader 400 and deals can be had as they retire that model. My oldest daughter wants to get into crossbow hunting so I picked up a Wicker Ridge Invader M1. Digging this one too!

There are a lot of great options out there, try a fw out before you buy, watch a bunch of good reviews not product who orz and get advice from folks with several different bows.

For those that don't have a de-cocking X-Box, I recommend carrying a bolt with a field tip in your truck with a small target block and discharging the field point into the block after your hunt.

That said, I highly recommend those made in USA Tenpoints with the ACUslide.

Here's a GA 8-point I took this year on archery opening day with my Tenpoint.

I like mine šŸ‘šŸ»View attachment 604520
Tried to get the 10 point RDX 400 several years ago and they were unavailable due to demand and they were expensive then ,now the new models are a little faster and even more money !

IMO, one of the biggest factors will be deciding to buy American or spending less for similar specs from China.

Edit to add that Wicked Ridge is Tenpoint's sister company and the bows use a lot of the same technology.

I think WR is a bit less feature rich and made in China to keep prices lower. They seem very well reviewed.

Last edited:
Tried to get the 10 point RDX 400 several years ago and they were unavailable due to demand and they were expensive then ,now the new models are a little faster and even more money !
Yeah, the Tenpoints are made in Ohio, if I'm not mistaken.

Inflation is real šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

I certainly understand if others are not in a position to spend a bit more to support manufacturing in the USA. I count myself fortunate that I am and I do, where possible.