Which .25?

.257 Weatherby if my heart was set on a .25 caliber and speed was the amin objective. I personally would go to a bullet that was .007" larger in diameter and go with a 26 nosler. Not sure if you would notice a difference other than more bullet options.

I have 257 rob 257 rob AI 250 Ai 2506 2506 AI 25 284 25 saum 25 300 wsm 25 stw and trying to build a 25 wrpm
I'm north of Charlotte and hunt up in Oxford and locally. I have a choice of a 7-08, 30-06 or a nice lite , really pretty- nice wood / bluing , etc 250 Savage (Savage Custom Shop Rifle)
I used to always use the 30-06 or 7-08 but I find myself grabbing that little 250 loaded w a max load of H4895 and a 100 gr Ballistic Tip at 3005 fps at the muzzle.
I've taken and had clean kills on all sizes of deer from 40 yd out to 270 yd for a nice 8 pt that was feeding in the opposite field. I had a good rest on the stands Padded bar , no wind etc.
I've never had a "bang flop " like I've got w the 7-08/ 30-06 and even 223 w a 65 gr SGK at 3000 ish fps , but it is very lite , handy, balanced wonderfully, relatively "quiet " it's 35 gr of powder vs 52 - 53 for the 30 cal makes a difference if that's important to you.

It's a wonderful eastern woods / fields out to 250 yd rifle. If I wanted to I could make it an Ackley and pick up 200 ish fps and be knocking at the door of a 25-06 w 100 gr bullets at 3200-3250 fps. I'd say a 257 Robert's or 257 AI but I really like this nice petite little short action and if it's just for deer (and occasional coyote that was a bang flop ) it's perfect for me.
It was a very efficient caliber in 1915 and it still is.

Just my $0.02 ….

I have two old model 77 Ruger 25-06s with heavy barrels. They have not let me down. The twist rate is 1-10" which won't support really long bullets, but there aren't many of them available for 25-06. I generally use copper bullets ( required here in the People's Republic of California, and I feel better about eating critters felled without lead as well). The longest generally available copper bullets is the Barnes 115 gr TSX. Longest lead core bullets generally available are the 120 gr made by Speer, Hornady, etc. with a number of 117 gr. available as well. Longest copper Hornadys are 100 gr, and same for the Nosler E-tips. I've shot them all, and they all stabilize fine in the 1-10". Now if they start coming out with 130-140 gr bullets to rival the 6.5s then you're going to need 1-8" twist, like in my Creedmoor. In NC, I imagine you're going to want to shoot some varmints as well. My best woodchuck load back in NY state, was the 100 gr Speer hollow point. This bullet has proven itself to be a sub 1" (often 1/2") bullet even though I mix all kinds of brass and dump the powder from an RCBS powder measure. If you want speed, try some of the 70 grainers....around 3800 fps in my rifles without pushing them hard at all. I have almost never purchased 25-06 specific brass. All of my brass is resized 30-06 with a neck ream if necessary. There's a forming die available from RCBS which gets you part way there, and then run them through the FL sizer and trim to length and you have a case which will reload 5-8 times with trimming once or twice. All of my brass was scavenged at various ranges over the years, or my own 30-06 brass after firing.

Depends on how much you like to shoot and what your intent is.

Have both 25creed and 25x284, had a fast twist 25-06.

25 creed is a pleasure to shoot and after 400 rounds the throat looks beautiful still. Shot a mule deer at 670 last year with the 135gr Berger's.

25x284 was very easy to develop a load and is moving 200fps faster than the creed. Recoil is mild enough to spot impacts without a muzzle break. Mine developed a nasty carbon ring and gave me hell until I figured out what was going on. It's got about 350 down the tube and the throat looks like hell…doubt I'll get 1000 rounds of barrel life it's now relegated to occasional shooting and mostly hunting.

25-06 was a mistake building off a tikka action because the mag length was limiting with the long heavies.

If you were building a new rifle in 25 caliber for hunting and occasional target shooting, which one would it be and why? I'm in western NC so extreme ranges aren't likely but I would like to have the option to shoot the longer heavier bullets but probably would not purpose build it for one particular bullet. I like speed so I am thinking 100-115 grain bullets for the most part but I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
basic 25.06 or AI if you never want to worry about components/availability ever again. They work and have for years....no issues...

Deer died on the spot, longest shot last year was 460 yards, here in SC. Nephew and brother has exact guns made off the same reamer. One shoots the 110g Accubonds at 3600, and everyone shoots R#22 with Fed 215's, bug holes abound with both of these bullets.

I also shoot the 100g Hornady Flat base and BTSP without issues.

Deer just flop on the spot.

I have 25/06's. I am looking at changing the chamber to 25/06AI also. The AI case length is about .1" longer to the shoulder. You can get more powder in the case. Being you are looking pushing heaver bullets down the tube. I would turn up the twist rate. Check and see what is needed for copper bullets. Case are fairly easy to convert or sizes. I just received 500 280AI Peterson brass for my 6mm/280AI rifle. 25/06, 270, 7mm, 30/06 cases will convert. You will have to fireform the cases, but not that hard. Just be sure you have your case base against the bolt face to push out the shoulder. I have fireform cases over the years. So brass shouldn't really be a problem. In fact I loaded for my 2 boys too in 25/06. Each chamber was different. So I use 30/06, 270 and 25/06 cases to know which reload went to who's rifle. Powder loads were all the same. You'll need bushing dies to achieve the sizing. Probable will take 2 steps in sizing the neck down. On my 6mm sizing it takes 4 steps to achieve step down. New Brass and if you cut your necks for thickness. Found Peterson Brass vary .0065" so cut to length first. C 2nd cut for thickness in the caliber the case is in. Then size for caliber. Other item is: Cut your cases before anything else to start with. Don't truss the new cases length, as all being the same. I don't have any reloading info on the 6mm/280AI yet. I reload for accuracies, and velocity.

If you were building a new rifle in 25 caliber for hunting and occasional target shooting, which one would it be and why? I'm in western NC so extreme ranges aren't likely but I would like to have the option to shoot the longer heavier bullets but probably would not purpose build it for one particular bullet. I like speed so I am thinking 100-115 grain bullets for the most part but I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
257-308 improved , I was going to sat 257 Robert's improved but just thinking so you can find brass just neck down 260 rem brass and fire form you'd be surprised how good it will shoot very close to 2506 but in short actin fast handling