When do you start your calling season?

The USDA has a Wildlife Services Department that does animal control work as well as other services concerning wildlife and predator control. I'm not quite sure where the possum kingdom is but if it's close to the Carolinas and Virgina the red wolf was also introduced in that area a few years back and so now there are red wolf coyote hybrids running that area. Some changes to the regulations may be needed as well it sounds like.

2006 I shot a coyote that weighed 73 lbs, fish and game confirmed it to have Red Wolf in it plus coy dog. Two weeks later, my hunting partner called in and shot one that weighed 63 lbs in the same area.

Protecting the deer herds is a can of worms here, insurance companies line the pockets of the politicians to make sure that claims are as low as possible.

They finally legalized night hunting but with a butt load of regulations.

In my Southern state, Coyotes have taken out 60% of the deer herd, and the Fish and Game are begging everyone to learn to trap.
In Oklahoma we have state and federal trappers, if you're in Texas ( possum kingdom ) i know they have them too. The thing with them in Oklahoma anyway is the land owner has to sign up for the program or they can't do anything about it. My friend who's a state level trapper has 2-3 counties that he's responsible for and some land owners won't allow them to go year around and try to thin the numbers but will throw a **** fit when they have a calf killed and they can't get there right away to trap/shoot the coyotes.