What's the best clip on thermal out there?

1720150807264.jpeg

1720151788663.jpeg

Sorry I messed up on uploading pictures. Sometimes I don't get the computer correct.
There are some with the D-76 NV on our RRA .223 Rem.
Then a pic of our VORTEX RADIAN CARBON TRIPOD. We have one in a NIB for sale. Will post later

Last edited:
I have been using an AGM Adder ts50-384 for over a year now for deer depredation. It's mounted on a 6.5 Grendel that I built. I've taken over 100 deer and a few hogs with this rig. We are identifying deer out to 1000 yards. I have killed several deer at 425-450 yards. The scope is very easy to operate and quite clear. It comes with a very good quick release mount and a 5 year warranty. It does operate at a high base power so field of view is pretty narrow but quite adequate for my purposes. 3 of us are running these now and love them. They can be had for around $2600.00 if you shop around. The Ts 35 would likely be adequate for most but I needed all the range I could get. I only wish it had laser rangefinding capabilities. Battery life is up to 15 hours. I like the double footed mount and the ability to straighten up the reticle. This mounting system seems stronger to me.
I also recently bought a Rattler V2 25 x256. I use it as a monocular and also as a spare. My son uses it quite a bit on my backup Grendel and it works very well out to 200 yards and beyond in good conditions. It comes with a quick release mount as well and is a lot of scope for the money $1200.00
If you shoot hogs or game 200 yards and in it may be all you need. Where my Adder is better is in Identifying details and animals at greater distances. Many people that have been using higher dollar ATN units are amazed at the image my Rattler V2 provides. Particularly for the price. It comes with 2 batteries that can be replaced in under a minute and has 11 hours run time per battery. Far better than the V 1 models.
My hope is that AGM will make a rangefinder that will pair with its scopes through Bluetooth as this is the only shortcoming I've seen. It is very difficult to get an accurate range at night with your eyes. I try to range as much as I can in daytime in the fields I hunt and commit it to memory.

If I had deeper pockets I would look at Pulsar as I do like the fact that they have a higher recoil rating. I have personally never looked through one. Any questions I have had for AGM they have answered my emails the next day. The 5 year warranty is what solidified my decision to buy.

]
Here are some kill shots from my two thermal scopes mentioned above. Distance ranges from 80 yards to 425. The Rattler scope has the full scale reticle while my Adder is set to a BDC reticle that evening. It is very humid when we were shooting which will affect video quality somewhat. I know you asked about clip on but I would go to a dedicated full thermal versus a clip on. Hopefully this link will work for you guys. First time doing this. I'm trying to learn in my old age. Most of these shots are made in the 125 to 250 range but you will see shots out to 450 with the adder. I used my 308 for the first deer in the clip. Everything else was shot with my 6.5 Grendels and 123 ELDMs. If you have the cash by all means go with the 640. With that said I have not been in a situation where I was limited by the TS 50-384. I can see them and ID them much farther than I can shoot. A friend just bought the Clarion in the 640 and on paper it looks to be a heck of a scope. The 2 base powers give you the best of both worlds at the flip of a lever.

Last edited:
Here are some kill shots from my two thermal scopes mentioned above. Distance ranges from 80 yards to 425. The Rattler scope has the full scale reticle while my Adder is set to a BDC reticle that evening. It is very humid when we were shooting which will affect video quality somewhat. I know you asked about clip on but I would go to a dedicated full thermal versus a clip on.
You might want to share via a YouTube link posted in the thread.

I
Holy crap, I totally agree with what your saying but 16 grand isn't in the budget what so ever. And I do believe in the buy once cry once philosophy. I was thinking around the 4-5 grand range. Can ya recommend anything else? Thanks
I have the iRay RH-25 clip on and love it infront of a Razor 1-6! They have come a little down in price too. Basicly I would suggest nothing under a 650. I think that number means resolution basically and any number smaller gets worse. Refresh rates matter too and once to rh 25 warms up it has very fast refresh rates. It's a 512-650 unit and can do 4 things. Stand alone unit, clip on via adm mount, helmet mounted beside pvs 14, or handheld scout. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
For the money range you want to be in, i would recommend a agm ts35-640 adder or rattler. Stay above 380 resolution. For the money they are hard to beat imo. It’s not a clip on but you can get a decent thermal for 4-5k

Last edited:
Personally if you are going to get into night hunting go with a real good thermal or if you want NV get a real good NV Scope. We use a handheld Scout III for Thermal detection and then have a NV D-760 Gen 3, Hand Select, 6 X, Auto Gated, Manual Gain, With IR Light.
I like Thermal for detection and then NV to see what is out there.
If you go with less expensive to start out with you are always going to want something better. The new Thermals that are out now give you a NV appearance with Thermal and ability to record Audio & Video.
If I was going to start all over again, I would go with this Thermal:

Wow! 16K! Rich man`s pastime for sure if you`re going with the " good stuff ". I don`t think I`ve ever wanted to kill anything THAT bad, especially in the dark!

For the money range you want to be in I’d recommend a agm ts35-640 adder. Stay above 380 resolution. For the money they are hard to beat imo. It’s not a clip on but you can get a decent thermal for 4-5k
I definitely would have to agree with this. Particularly the stay above 380 part. I bought my 25 x 256 V2 Rattler mainly to use as a monocular to scan with and have been pleasantly surprised. But it won't do what a higher resolution scope will do. One thing to remember is that every increment you zoom with a thermal, let's say from 4 to 8, it cuts your resolution in half. My Adder stays on base power 4 all the time so it's in 384 resolution. If you buy a 640 with a base power of 3 and zoom to 6 your resolution is going to be half of 640 or 320. Because of this the more you zoom the more grainy your image becomes. On a clear night I have no problem at all identifying deer to 900 yards on my base power of 4.

Recent Posts