What's the best 7mm cartridge?

Maybe its me, but something for pinging steel would be set up totally different than something I'd hunt with, regardless of the cartridge.

Yes and no. Some people plink steel to practice for hunting. Thus.....a hunting rifle. It is a great way to keep sharp...and GINORMAS FUN!!!!

Tod

Yes and no. Some people plink steel to practice for hunting. Thus.....a hunting rifle. It is a great way to keep sharp...and GINORMAS FUN!!!!

Tod

Absolutely.

I reckon I do it backwards. Intended target, maximum distance, bullet, glass, barrel contour, stock, headstamp.

No need for a 15# hunting rig or 7#bench rifle. But that's just me.

Life as a simpleton....

Absolutely.

I reckon I do it backwards. Intended target, maximum distance, bullet, glass, barrel contour, stock, headstamp.

No need for a 15# hunting rig or 7#bench rifle. But that's just me.

Life as a simpleton....
You'll find a lot of us here shoot 15lbs and up LR rigs to hunt with here. All else being equal heavier is steadier, steadier is more accurate.

THey aren't practical for busting brush or stalking but very much are if you like to set up for example high on a ridge to hunt the valleys on both sides.

If I'm going to have to carry it though 12lbs or so is my limit and if there's much elevation to be dealt with 7-9lbs is my preference.

I've used my lighter rifles while traveling by float plane in Northern Quebec where all your gear has to be 65 pounds or less. The idea of caring a heavy rifle instead of a good sleeping bag or extra insulated clothes just won't work.

Good luck

Jerry

Sorry for the confusion. I will shoot steel with it enough to practice for that rifle but will use the 6.5x284 for my primary steel shooter

".......it will be used for steel shooting out past 1000 yards and hunting"...from your OP.

Well, which is it?

If you are going to shoot steel....out of your choices......7 mag. If it were me..for steel...and a magnum.....7 SAUM. Hunting.....STW(or 7-300 WBY since wby brass is easy to find).

Tod

Sorry for the confusion. I will shoot steel with it enough to practice for that rifle but will use the 6.5x284 for my primary steel shooter

lightbulb I commend your gentlemanly response(s) to the replies by those less so. lightbulb

As you're going to use this rifle primarily as a LR hunting rig and shoot steel only as practice (having a dedicated rifle for that) I would choose the 7mm STW over the 28 Nosler. My choice is not because the 28 Nosler is not a powerhouse - it has demonstrated significant hammer-ability.

I'd choose the 7mmSTW if only because it has been around a quite a long time so dies are already readily available at reasonably affordable prices.

The greater question is brass availability, but with so many other die-hard STW aficionado's you will be able to network to source it quite easily.

However, and as Wildrose wisely stated, Nosler will likely support the 28 Nosler for many years to come and that's no factor to ignore.

Performance-wise, I don't know the differences between the 28 Nosler and the 7mm STW though I doubt it is significant. Whereas the difference btw the 7mm Rem Mag and the other two is significant.

With these super-fast hotrod chamberings, barrel life is not going to be as long as the milder ones, but the performance is there if you wanna pay for it!

7mm STW would be my recommendation for you. gun)

I would pick the 28 Nosler. It and the STW are basically the same case capacity and performance wise.

Advantages of the 298 Nosler: Better brass availability, better case design, no belt, steeper 35% shoulder, better brass life due to no belt and steeper shoulder, and slightly shorter and fatter case that probably gives better powder ignition and makes is easier to get lower es/sd. It's just a better more modern design.

I know this is an old thread and ran across is researching the topic........I wondered if you could comment on what you decided on? and how you like it? would you make the same choice again?

thanks

So I've decided that the next rifle I have built will be 7mm variant. I'm leaning 28 Nosler, 7mm STW, or a good ole 7mm mag. I'm open to any and all suggestions. It will be for both steel shooting out to 1000+ yards and hunting. I just want to hear any and all opinions of the pros and cons of any 7mm cartridges you guys like. Thanks in advance.

Finally I can't help myself. I have a reamer waiting for a barrel. If you can picture a 7RUM with the shoulder pushed back to the same as a .338RUM, which increases the neck length .100", then you can visualize what a 7RUMLN fired case looks like.

I think it's going to be the best 7mm case.

Maybe it's the cool thing now. I'm not cool so I really like them; in a Weatherby rifle even.

I have a .257 WBY MAG in Mark V Accumark and it's way more accurate than I am. I've been thinking about a larger caliber in 7mm WBY MAG in the same model. But I rarely see it mentioned on this forum so I thought I'd ask.

Last edited:
I have a .257 WBY MAG in Mark V Accumark and it's way more accurate than I am. I've been thinking about a larger caliber in 7mm WBY MAG in the same model. But I rarely see it mentioned on this forum so I thought I'd ask.
Because of the twist rate would be my guess

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.