What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

• Bivy

Votes: 47 7.0%
  • Tarp

Votes: 75 11.1%
  • Bivy/Tarp combo

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • 3 season double wall tent

Votes: 130 19.2%
  • 3 season single wall tent

Votes: 154 22.8%
  • 4 season tent

Votes: 96 14.2%
  • Tipi

Votes: 84 12.4%

• Total voters
Tipi tents are good but haven't got one. I have a Ozark trail tent and I love its sturdy frame and it's easy to set up.

I've been experimenting with a hammock and tarp. Mostly because it's hard to find ground close to level wher I hunt deer and I end up sliding against the side of my tent during the night and it drives me nuts. So far I have been able to get a very comfortable sleep in the hammock. The coldest temp I have slept in was high 20's and I stayed quite warm with a down under quilt and a 30 deg top quilt. The trade offs are: this setup takes up more space in my pack and weighs a little more than my 1 man Easton Kilo setup. It is a bit lighter than when I take the two man tent however.

I slept in a canvas hammock on the 1812 US Brig Niagara when I was a crew member in the '90s and was so dead tired I slept well. But for camping I'd only use one in a veery wet climate like the jungle.
My Moment DW solo tent is small enough that I can usually find enough "flat" space to set up with my head uphill - always.

Eric B.

My Moment DW solo tent is small enough that I can usually find enough "flat" space to set up with my head uphill - always.

Eric B.

Not so easy where I'm hunting mule deer. If I did that I would slide into the foot of the tent anyway. An old game trail on the side of a steep hill is the closest thing I can find to level many times. My favorite spot is an unleveled perch with a very steep 30 deg slope up and down hill from where I put my tent. This location is a perfect spot to hide my tent and glass from just a little steep, but it is a nice sniper location overlooking a fantastic feeding area within range for a good shooter. I have taken 2 nice bucks in the last 3 years while laying within 10 feet of my tent.

Tent for sure. Particularly my REI half dome 2. I feel that the 3lbs is definitely worth it. I only use it for a spike camp style of hunting though, usually 5 day stretches. If I was doing out of the pack style where I set camp in a new spot every night and always have all of my gear on me... then I would get a bivy myself.

I like a 3 season double wall. You have to watch all tents for condensation but the single wall tents are more prone to leaving you with a wet sleeping bag in the morning in my experience...

Currently run a 3 season (single and double wall) freestanding one man tent year round. Looking for a new tent at the end of this year though. I am thinking about getting the new Stone Glacier tent with the mesh insert for early season hunts. May go with a tipi though for the stove ability. Decisions, decisions.

Dredging up this old thread...

I went with a hammock this season. Down quilt, under-quilt and a tarp. It wasn't bad. Uhhh, at least after the second night, it wasn't bad. I was drenched from sweating out my rain gear (it was snowing and sleeting all the way for 6 hours) and got to spike very late. I crawled into the hammock after 10:00 pm. I think part of the problem was me. I don't think I fluffed up the quilts enough after having been compressed. Also, being wet, I may well have gotten the down wet. Anyway, I had to rub my arms and legs throughout the night for warmth. Second night was better because I returned early that night and pulled off my rain gear and allowed my clothes to dry a bit more. I slept with every bit of clothing I brought. Second night was fair and sleep was good every night after that. I noticed some shoulder pinch on my hammock, which is an average sized thing. Zero hip problems overnight but the shoulders actually did hurt throughout the night, despite my attempts to have a lateral lay. I'm thinking I need to make sure my head is below my feet on the lay of the hammock so I don't slide forward and get out of center. Your butt and torso wants to find center so your feet end up sticking out a'ways beyond where they should be, hence maybe some cold feet.

I ordered a "wide" hammock from Dutchgear. I'm think'in that'll fix the shoulder pinch. Seriously... my shoulders hurt in my econo-hammock as much as my hips hurt in any ground/tent situation. We'll see.

Down packs pretty tight. Hammocks in cold weather, IMO, aren't ultra-lite. They aren't particularly heavy either. They do maybe set-up slow. I'm working on that. It could easily be a "me" thing but, just think about it... it's raining, sleeting, snowing, and you want to set up "down" gear. I gott'a put up my tarp sort'a high, then set up my hammock, then lower my tarp...

Dang... a dude is think'in... just give me a fairly decent tent and I'll pass out from exhaustion. Screw, the "good night's sleep". Heck... I might even sleep well in a tent, on the ground. Well, you may be right and frankly... if cost is a thing, your personal comfort is a thing that rates well in the middle of the spectrum. Sore hips... seriously, shut up you pathetic old woman. Actually, my experience with old women is that they don't put themselves into situations if extreme discomfort, sooooo,.

Anyway... hammocks... they are something a guy should consider. Think zero hip pain... Chances are, your going to have to figure out the hammock thing. Hey... my mules snorted up a storm when I turned on my headlamp, to get up and relieve myself, in the wee hours... they were fine afterwards.

I'm think'in... if you don't know how to hang a hammock for maximum comfort, then that's the same as not knowing how to wipe your butt, so you don't have to deal with diaper rash. That's not a snotty thihg. Seriously... that's a very real thing. You learn by "doing". That's it. A normal person will figure out because they have to. Never, in a million years, replace some common sense with populism.

Hammocks work, just like tents work. Figure it out.

Dredging up this old thread...

I went with a hammock this season. Down quilt, under-quilt and a tarp. It wasn't bad. Uhhh, at least after the second night, it wasn't bad. I was drenched from sweating out my rain gear (it was snowing and sleeting all the way for 6 hours) and got to spike very late. I crawled into the hammock after 10:00 pm. I think part of the problem was me. I don't think I fluffed up the quilts enough after having been compressed. Also, being wet, I may well have gotten the down wet. Anyway, I had to rub my arms and legs throughout the night for warmth. Second night was better because I returned early that night and pulled off my rain gear and allowed my clothes to dry a bit more. I slept with every bit of clothing I brought. Second night was fair and sleep was good every night after that. I noticed some shoulder pinch on my hammock, which is an average sized thing. Zero hip problems overnight but the shoulders actually did hurt throughout the night, despite my attempts to have a lateral lay. I'm thinking I need to make sure my head is below my feet on the lay of the hammock so I don't slide forward and get out of center. Your butt and torso wants to find center so your feet end up sticking out a'ways beyond where they should be, hence maybe some cold feet.

I ordered a "wide" hammock from Dutchgear. I'm think'in that'll fix the shoulder pinch. Seriously... my shoulders hurt in my econo-hammock as much as my hips hurt in any ground/tent situation. We'll see.

Down packs pretty tight. Hammocks in cold weather, IMO, aren't ultra-lite. They aren't particularly heavy either. They do maybe set-up slow. I'm working on that. It could easily be a "me" thing but, just think about it... it's raining, sleeting, snowing, and you want to set up "down" gear. I gott'a put up my tarp sort'a high, then set up my hammock, then lower my tarp...

Dang... a dude is think'in... just give me a fairly decent tent and I'll pass out from exhaustion. Screw, the "good night's sleep". Heck... I might even sleep well in a tent, on the ground. Well, you may be right and frankly... if cost is a thing, your personal comfort is a thing that rates well in the middle of the spectrum. Sore hips... seriously, shut up you pathetic old woman. Actually, my experience with old women is that they don't put themselves into situations if extreme discomfort, sooooo,.

Anyway... hammocks... they are something a guy should consider. Think zero hip pain... Chances are, your going to have to figure out the hammock thing. Hey... my mules snorted up a storm when I turned on my headlamp, to get up and relieve myself, in the wee hours... they were fine afterwards.

I'm think'in... if you don't know how to hang a hammock for maximum comfort, then that's the same as not knowing how to wipe your butt, so you don't have to deal with diaper rash. That's not a snotty thihg. Seriously... that's a very real thing. You learn by "doing". That's it. A normal person will figure out because they have to. Never, in a million years, replace some common sense with populism.

Hammocks work, just like tents work. Figure it out.

If using mules, I personally wouldn't be too worried about weight. When attrmpting ground camping vs hammocks you mightvwant to try a different air pad. I am a side sleeper and have had a difficult time finding a sleeping pad that works for me. Tried out several through REI that either gave be severe lower back pain andhip pain from being too thin or not hsving well designed baffle systems or elbow/shoulder pain from being too narrow. I finally broke down and bought a Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe without the safety of an REI purchase as they no longer carry them. 3" thick eliminated hip pain, baffle design elimjnates lower back pain and 30" width eliminates elbow/shoukder pain as my arms no longer hang off into limbo. A bit heavy because not for its size. I highly recommend them! No affiliation with the company.

If solo, Hilleberg Staika. At just under 9 lbs it's kinda heavy. I don't mind packing the weight knowing it will survive anything mother nature throws at it.

If with friends, then possible something with a stove.