What Is Your Favorite African Caliber/Cartridge/Rifle

Just wondering what your favorite caliber, cartridge and/or rifle is for hunting Africa. If you have specific loads and bullets, please discuss those also. If you have very memorable hunts, tell us the story.
Weatherby MKV Accumark 300WBY with 200 grn Nosler AB or PT, same load for both, RL 22, Fed215M. My son and I, Mine US made, His Japanese. 7 annimals each, Largest Zebra for me, Hartebeast for him. Most Enjoyable for me, the springbok, for him the Hartebeast.
I have WIN M70 Classic Stainless in 375 H&H for him and M70 Alaskan for me if we go for bigger game. For smaller, still the Weatherby. No such thing as overkill, dead is dead.

Much like crazymonkey, I'll likely never get to Africa…..though a dream since childhood.

I'd also suggest one of the more popular .375's…..the Ruger or the H&H. Personally I'd lean toward the H&H, as it's been a staple in Africa for over 100 years. In the very unlikely event that somehow you need ammunition while there, I think that the H&H may have an edge over the Ruger for a purchase while there.

The .375's can be and have been used successfully on almost everything hunted in Africa. I really have no proof, but I suspect that even some waterfowl has been put into the pot over the years.

I can promise you, that a bullet placed just beneath a bird sitting on the water will kill the bird while never penetrating the bird! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
I went to South Africa and hunted with Trophy Grade Safaris (TGS) - plains game package. I decided to rent a rifle rather than bring one of mine. I used one of the TGS rifles - Howa 1500 in factory synthetic stock, 3006, Zeiss scope, and locally manufactured suppressor. PH had Hammer 180s loaded at moderate speed. It killed everything it was pointed at - I took multiple rear quartering shots where the Hammer 180 entered and traversed the length of the critter normally exiting for a one and done. The Blue Wildebeest did not exit but was a one and done. I am sold on 3006 with a heavy well constructed projectile designed for deep penetration for plains game.

Much like crazymonkey, I'll likely never get to Africa…..though a dream since childhood.

I'd also suggest one of the more popular .375's…..the Ruger or the H&H. Personally I'd lean toward the H&H, as it's been a staple in Africa for over 100 years. In the very unlikely event that somehow you need ammunition while there, I think that the H&H may have an edge over the Ruger for a purchase while there.
.375 Weatherby, or AI version of H&H, shoot the H&H in a pinch.

If you're going for plains game, a 300 Win Mag is more than adequate. If you include dangerous game then a 375 H&H is legal minimum. I've taken all plains game with the 300. Best of luck.

Just wondering what your favorite caliber, cartridge and/or rifle is for hunting Africa. If you have specific loads and bullets, please discuss those also. If you have very memorable hunts, tell us the story.
Many years ago, when Zimbabwe was called Rhodesia, i went hunting for the big five. For elephants, rinos , and Buffalo used a Westley Richard's double rifle in 577 nitro expess. For lions and leopards used a 460 Weatherby Mag.
I think those days are gone.

I came close to having one done up, but went another direction.

Love mine!! Old, carbon, pushfeed, Model 70 Win., with Douglas SS Match Grade (lightest contour), with iron sights (2 leaf folding rear), front sling swivel on barrel, in McMillan Classic stock with Pachmyar Decellerator, presently wearing a Leupold 3.5-10 CDS in Leupold QR base/rings. Weighs 9# 1 ounce…..scoped, loaded, and slung.

Built a new load last summer…..270 grain Barnes LRX, giving 100 yrd., 3 shot groups at and occasionally under 1/2" @ just shy of 3100 mv. That load makes for a pretty flat shooting big game cartridge!

Over the years, only the scope and the loads have changed! It will never see Africa or Alaska which was going to be it's ultimate but not only use…..my only hunting rifle since receiving it early March of '91.

If ya have some "throw away" money, try the AI, I think that you'll light it…..a lot! 😉 memtb

An interesting side note…..though totally irrelevant! I live in an area that may have 50 people in a 20 or 30 square mile area. I have a neighbor about 1 1/4 mi away that also has a .375 AI.

Last edited:
Many years ago, when Zimbabwe was called Rhodesia, i went hunting for the big five. For elephants, rinos , and Buffalo used a Westley Richard's double rifle in 577 nitro expess. For lions and leopards used a 460 Weatherby Mag.
I think those days are gone.
I remember those days. I had a classmate whose family emigrated to Rhodesia around 1975.

I promised my M70 classic to my son. My Alaskan, made in S Carolina, was only prodeced for a few days and I don't want to change that one. Maybe one day I'll buy another M70 Classic and AI that one.

That should be a great one to work with. Plus, as heavy as I think that they are ……recoil should be very manageable! memtb

Recent Posts