What is the the most flat shooting cartridge yall can think of?

👍 great ❗️but find those sabots now. I have a bag of the yet…., somewhere lol
E. Arthur Brown sells them and the seating die and case mouth flaring die.

I buy them routinely.

I was having a conversation with a fellow member here over "flat shooting cartridges" because I've been in search of a flat shooting cartridge/bullet combination for coyotes.

I'm currently shooting a 25-06 which gives me a MPBR on a 4" target of 298yds with a 115vld. I'm switching to an 80gr barnes ttsx to see what kind of speeds I can get and hopefully stretch that MPBR a little bit more. When this barrel goes south I will probably go back with a 25-06AI or 25sherman.

I know there are some wildcats out there that could possibly be "flat-er" and a realistic choice for coyotes and would like to hear yalls opinions.

I'm not looking to neck down a 308win to 17cal or run a 110vmax in a 300rum or anything wild like that. I'd like to keep powder consumption as low as possible. Barrel life isn't a huge concern but it like to get 800 rounds out of it.

What are yalls thoughts?
I'm getting 3700 out of a 90 gr Absolute hammer in my 25-06. +2.8 @100 +4.1 @ 200 and -4.2 @ 400 at 3500 ft elevation.

The factory loads were very under powered, so we would purchase the sabots from E. Arthur Brown (They still sell them) and a few gun show dealers who had a few thousand of the Rem's from demilled ammo. Reloading and experimenting greatly improves the velocities.
Yes, I also bought a bunch of them as well from Brown, even Brown's loading information is kinda weak. If a guy wants more speed you just have to go, "where no man has gone before" Warp Speed Scotty! 🫡 aye aye Captain, hold my Beer Captain! 🫨 Cheers

I was having a conversation with a fellow member here over "flat shooting cartridges" because I've been in search of a flat shooting cartridge/bullet combination for coyotes.

I'm currently shooting a 25-06 which gives me a MPBR on a 4" target of 298yds with a 115vld. I'm switching to an 80gr barnes ttsx to see what kind of speeds I can get and hopefully stretch that MPBR a little bit more. When this barrel goes south I will probably go back with a 25-06AI or 25sherman.

I know there are some wildcats out there that could possibly be "flat-er" and a realistic choice for coyotes and would like to hear yalls opinions.

I'm not looking to neck down a 308win to 17cal or run a 110vmax in a 300rum or anything wild like that. I'd like to keep powder consumption as low as possible. Barrel life isn't a huge concern but it like to get 800 rounds out of it.

What are yalls thoughts?
Definitely the 6.5 creedmoor!!!!! Just wait till season rolls around and listen to the hot rod city folk talk knowledge at local gun shops. They can reach out to 10000 yards like a laser to tag their deer!!!!!'

Yes, I also bought a bunch of them as well from Brown, even Brown's loading information is kinda weak. If a guy wants more speed you just have to go, "where no man has gone before" Warp Speed Scotty! 🫡 aye aye Captain, hold my Beer Captain! 🫨 Cheers
This begs the question: How fast can you run them before they slide past the rifling and lose what precision they might have?

Back in the 90's, there were a couple of articles on loading sabots, Shooting Times and Handloader "IIRC", and they had some very good research with pressure testing and explanations of bore expansion ratios and using faster powders to really kick the light bullets and slick sabots safely down the bore.

Since we had been shooting the old Accelerator loads since the late 70's and reading their results with greatly improved speeds, I just had to give it a try also. Soon, I discovered I could easily far exceed those old Rem loads. Since then, a lot more time and work has gone into developing fast, but safe, loads. Have I pushed the envelope in some of these tests? Sure, but like all my higher end reloading, it has been with caution and wisdom.

What are yalls thoughts?
Can you please just build the 25 Sherman!!!!

Can you please just build the 25 Sherman!!!!
Yeah yeah yeah yeah...... I've heard and been threatened with that line from a bottom land farmer in Mississippi many many times! I'd just hate to hurt some feelings by adding 100fps to a cartridge just by crossing the Sabine River going west 🤣🤣

I just can't make myself pull this 25-06 barrel until I've shot it out! But the sherman is on the short list of potential cartridges

These are book velocity maximums from the Barnes web page entered into the Hornady calculator at my elevation, the .270 win holds its own pretty well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 22

Recent Posts