What is the lowest MAX power for an ELR rifle scope?

Litehiker

Is 20x the lowest maximum power for ELR shooting (hunting or target)? Let's agree to leave mirage out of the discussion for now. We know mirage limits magnification use.

In addition what riflescopes have the quality of glass that is acceptable for very long shots at high magnification? For example does the Bushnell XRS 4.5 - 30 x 50 have good enough glass for you to utilize the 30 X setting? Is this the lowest price one can pay for a decent high magnification rifle scope?

*Full Disclosure: I have a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 scope (H59 reticle) that I have found to be very adequate at 21 power on my Ruger Precision Rifle for competition purposes. I've just recently gotten into long range competition and, as a retiree, I have a budget to consider when making purchases, thus the Bushnell ERS. and not a S&B PM II. ;o)

There are now quite a few brands of scopes the have a magnification over 20X. What's your choice for extreme long range hunting scopes in various price ranges?

Eric B.

Last edited:
Mark 4 ER/T 8.5-25x50mm or Mark 4 LR/T 8.5-25x50mm

or

Nightforce NSX 5.5-22x50 or ATACR™ 5-25×56 F1

I have Mark 4 LR/T 8.5-25x50mm, NSX 5.5-22x50 and a bunch of Sightron SIIIs

Hello,

I would say the minimum maximum magnification would be 20x but as already mentioned it has to be in a scope with great clarity.

For me and my ELR usage I require the below criteria in the scope:
1. Clarity
2. Calibrated precisely
3. Durable
4. Reticle
5. Magnification
6. Eye Relief

I have typically always used S&B 5-25x56 PMII with P4 Fine Reticle but I really like their upcoming LLR-MIL reticle. I will be putting that reticle into their 12-50x56 PMII.

I also use Hensoldt ZF 3.5-26x56 with their MRAD Hashmark reticle.

But I think you will see an increase in "ElectrOptics" for the ELR community. There are already some observation systems that are being "reworked" to function as weapon scope. This system has 720x Optical Zoom, facial recognition at 3km and electronic image stabilization. These type of units are the future optics of the ELR world :)

THEIS

Last edited:
My rule of thumb is 1 power per 100yrds. Depending on the glass and weather you can sometimes double the yardage. I shot 1 mile w/ my 3-18x50 Vortex Razor in the hot Desert of California. 115 degrees out that day if I remember . I did shoot on 18 power. The scope did also pick up some heatwaves. I was still able to shoot a 4 shot 3.5" group. There was a slite tail wind but that had no effect on the bullet. There was more luck involved than my family and friends will admit. I really hope this helps. Good luck.

I did say I'm on a "fixed" income but... after looking at all possibilities I think I'm just going to have to start saving now ($50./month) for a Vortex AMG 6 - 24 x 50 with the EBR 7 MilRad "Christmas tree" reticle. It's almost like my H59 reticle and I love the "tree" reticles for ease of use and especially lack of need for dialing. (Yes, I hold on a reticle instead of dialing and it WORKS! So don't preach to me all ye who are of the dialing persuasion.)

So strike my original statement about a budget. I just won't get into S&B's stratospheric prices.

The Vortex AMG is light enough for a hunting scope and is without question the best scope Vortex makes - and that's saying a lot. And it is all American made (with the possible exception of the reticle, if I'm correct, which may be German made.

Yeah, $3,000. is a lot but I can't take it with me and I'm already a geezer.

Eric B.

I shoot 1300 and seasonally 1600yrds with xrs's, very nice scopes. Much better scope then my Burris 8x40. They can be found from $950-1600. i like my Bushy scopes.

farmer,

Yeah, I'm a Bushy supporter too.I like my Bushnell ERS much better than my older Burris Black Diamond.
Plus I have Bushnell's 10x ARC 1 Mile laser rangefinder binoculars. Great binos for the money.

Eric B.

My preference for LRH scopes is for a power max in the 20-25x range and a low end in the 5-6 range. For the past several years my LR rifles have been mounted with NF NXS and Huskemaw scopes, both possessing sufficient glass quality for 1200 yard antelope hunting, my max at game shot to date. Coyotes a bit further. I recently acquired a March 5x25x52 that I'm really liking, but haven't put it through a hunting season yet. Glass quality is noticeably the best I've owned and it's light, at about 22oz. Turret accuracy/precision is the same as the NF and Huskemaw.

I did say I'm on a "fixed" income but... after looking at all possibilities I think I'm just going to have to start saving now ($50./month) for a Vortex AMG 6 - 24 x 50 with the EBR 7 MilRad "Christmas tree" reticle. It's almost like my H59 reticle and I love the "tree" reticles for ease of use and especially lack of need for dialing. (Yes, I hold on a reticle instead of dialing and it WORKS! So don't preach to me all ye who are of the dialing persuasion.)

So strike my original statement about a budget. I just won't get into S&B's stratospheric prices.

The Vortex AMG is light enough for a hunting scope and is without question the best scope Vortex makes - and that's saying a lot. And it is all American made (with the possible exception of the reticle, if I'm correct, which may be German made.

Eric B.

You are going to like the AMG. They got that one right for sure. The reticle is the best FFP reticle I have looked through. Stays very fine, even at higher powers.

Litehiker,

I am a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 fanatic. In the optics forum there is a thread about VX-6 and Swarovski. I posted the results of two scopes that arrived today: A Nightforce 5.5-22X56 and a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. Guess which one seems to have better glass before you go look.

I purchased the Nightforce because of its reputation for being able to dial. I don't know if the Bushnell 6500 could be dialed. I guess I should give it a try sometime.

To me the best value in a scope today is the Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 if one does not dial. I have a plex, a mil dot, and now a 600DOA. But they do not have a Christmas tree.

Since I'm like you, it will be a few weeks or even months before I get the stuff to start long range shooting.

I shot marmots out to just over 1400 yards, and shot at them out to a mile with a 4-16x50. It is however a Schmidt Bender and capable of excellent resolution even out to those ranges.

Eric B.

I just got a Vortex AMG with the EBR-7. Well worth saving for . They really got this one right! Nice size and weight with "exceptionally" good glass and reticle design.

I shot marmots out to just over 1400 yards, and shot at them out to a mile with a 4-16x50. It is however a Schmidt Bender and capable of excellent resolution even out to those ranges.

I was out early the other day with my Vortex 4-16x44 HS and was shooting at rocks at 1000 yards plus. I'll leave out my results...:D. Clarity was ok but if I'm trying to hit a marmot at 1000 yards, I'll need much better glass and possibly more magnification. I figured I could easily place the cross hairs on a deer sized target at 1000 yards but wouldn't think a typically duplex reticle could do the same. 25x is a good power for ELR ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.