What can you hit on demand???

John Burns

I would like to ask what different people on this board consider the max range is that they can hit a target of a certain size with the first shot out of a cold barrel and under field conditions. Just for fun let's pretend you have to pay some charity of your choice $1000 for a miss.

Conditions:
1.Bipod & rear bag of some sort
2.5-10 mph cross wind in open terrain
3.5 minutes to setup shot
4.Shooter in rested condition
5.Rifle must be carryable (is that a word??)

Target is a 12" circle

Please include a short description of the rifle you would choose and include it's weight.

Thanks and remember this is just for fun and is not any kind of challenge.

John,

Since 1k is on the line id go no farther than 400, my rifle is a savage 12bvss in 308win,weighing 12.5lbs, i would be shooting 125gr nosler bt.
Good Shootin,
Brian

John,

Yeah, this storm ruined my weekend... I might be free next weekend though...

I love topics like this!! We will be doing some of this stuff the 2nd weekend in Aug. when the guys from the board get here... except it will be for dirtly jobs like washing Dave's wifes SUV before we get back to the ranch.

OK so we have a charitable $1000 on the line.. yikes...

hmmm 12" field conditions... I feel really confident to 650-750 yards with a 12" target.

A5 308 or the A5 300 WSM, shooting the 175 SMK at 2725 fps and 3115 fps respectivly. The 308 weighs 15 lbs and the 300WSM weights about 14.5 lbs.

As I have no swivels in my match guns, I'll say we switch the Bi-pod for a front rest of whatever sort. A sand bag laying on a stump or something like that.

I rarely have a zero on my guns, but, assuming the gun was anywhere near zero at 100, and also assuming I'm not at an altitude that is grossly different from where I live (500-1800 ft), I'll say 650 yards. After that, I'm not payin the 1K.

The gun: A 30 cal. 210 bullet at 2850. 16.5#

Did it this year in hunting season. Only had 1 round loaded for the gun. Shot off a windowsill while sitting. Deer ran 0 feet. 452 yds. In probably a 20+ mph crosswind. Held 15" in front of the deer standing broadside, shot it right in the heart.

There was however, no $1000 to pay if I missed! Not that it would have changed anything.

This is exactly what I´ve been practising , usually in field conditions. One shot groups just for Moose.
smile.gif

I can do 400 meters at the moment when the wind is known. Sako TRG-S 338 LM, factory brake, 300 grain MK @ 2630 ,Harris bipod, Optilock mounts,Tasco Mag IV 5-20x50 (yep,it is an airgun scope but hasn´t broken in 370 shots, the clicks work and zero stays correct feel free to laugh). I`m zeroed at 300 meters and adjust from there, trajectory has been confirmed up to 650 meters.

Cold,fouled barrel,one shot. I shot one moose last season at 300+ in a cold,heavy rainfall with this setup -except I used a Scenar. A long crawl,I got as close as possible.

If I can´t hit an A4 (including the distance estimation which often is the hard thing) with the first shot every time,it´s too long for moose then. Keeps me practising these one shot groups lol.
tongue.gif

This rifle doesn´t group very good -yet. Will be fixed and luckily the first bullet is always where it´s supposed to be. That´s all I need, no real long range, neither nothing to boast about the groups but good for filling the freezer.
grin.gif

Very good thread,thanks!
smile.gif

I would put money on 450. Thats with my TRG-S in 7STW. I think it weighs just over 10lbs. Thats with the 140's, After some testing and practicing with the 120's I might raise that to 600.

I'll stick to 500 yards.

30-338 Lapua Imp Rem. 700 17#

Backpack would have to do with this rifle, no sling stud left on it after hogging out the barrel channel in this *** plastic stock.

A 12" square would be a tad easier.
grin.gif

My hunting stndard is a 1 MOA for the beast and 1 MOA for my error, 2 MOA. 12" target, 600 yards = 2 MOA.

I believe 600 yards but would like to be able to write a check for the wager amount in case there's an eclipse, earthquake or suicidal bird, etc, etc.

500 yard chip shot
smile.gif
(maybe)

[ 03-01-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]

600yds. easy-in my[approx.] 15lb. 6br.A4 stock,28" tube,105amax at 2910fps,with a sd. of 5.i think i could go longer but i havent chance to shoot this new barrel much past 600yds.yet.the places we shoot longer are still snowed in right now.i have been shooting at a p-dog silhouhette[8"tallx4"wide"]and have been hitting it with "boring regularity" at 615yds. in all kinds of crappy conditions.also have a 15" "gong" set at 460yds. and its too easy -lol.this is off of a harris pod using rear bag-my-2-dave

[ 03-01-2004: Message edited by: 6brguy ]

I guess I had better answer my own question since so many of you bucked up and did it, Thanks

600 yds. I believe in the 2 MOA rule. I have never been able to reliably hit anything smaller than a 2MOA target under real field conditions.

Let's change the rules and say instead of $1000 you will have to take the shot in front of the guys on this board and suffer the ridicule for a miss.

Do we have any more takers??

To the guys that answered my hat is off to you and the answers were great.

If I had to take that kind of abuse I'd only gurantee the ground at my feet. lol

Seriously, As I'm still getting my feet wet in this long range game I'll have to stay inside the 400 yd. mark, not nearly enough practice past that.

Shooting a 300 win mag with 200 gr. Accubonds on top of 71 grns. of RE 22.

600 yards.

17.5 lb. 7mmRUM, McMillain prone stock, NF 12-42 BR, Jewell trigger, 30" Krieger 1:9 twist. It shoots a Cauterucio 176VLD @ 3,360fps.

Anybody wanna go double or nothin' from a sling only instead of a bipod?

Great topic idea, as usual some very good info coming out.

That really depends on the time of year for me. Right now, not sure about anything over 400 or so since we have not been shooting because of deep snow and too **** cold. From July on, would be interesting.
One thing you forgot is to give the shooter a good spotter, so that he can split the 1000 bucks if the shot misses
wink.gif

We regularly shoot 12 - 15 inch squares out at 700, usually get first shot hits when our skill and confidence is where it can get to after lots of practice.
I would go with Dave (matter or fact he could be my spotter... he can call wind real good plus he's got way too much money
grin.gif
) and go with 550-600 yards. We dumped a bunch of mulies this year at that distance with only one shot. Under ideal conditions would push that to 600-650 but found that 700 in the real world on deer is too far - too much can happen for good enough confidence.
When I am ready for more challenge (700-1000) I will move up to a .300 mag, but right now the mighty .308 Win is doing what we need.
Rifle would be my GA Precision ROCK with 175 BHA match, NXS 3.5-15x50 in Badgers, Eagle stock pack and swiveling Harris benchrest bipod, beenie-baby bags under the buttstock, spotter has my Nikon 78ED so he can watch the swirl and get out his chequebook if I blow it... (Seem to remember doing just that at the Badlands a few years ago - mil'ed a target, put on the correct drop and wind, then shot the wrong target
mad.gif
Hit the **** thing but cost me a lot of guff from my partner and all the guys watching. We almost had a perfect score!)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts