What caliber you guys using for sheep?

I have a number of rigs that would be good for a big horn hunt, but still waiting to draw.

I have more interesting rigs, but I'd likely take a 300 win Tikka set up with a 3-12 LRHS scope on it. It's light, it's rugged, it's reliable, and it shoots really tight groups at far off targets. Probably shoot Sierra 180's out of it.
What is the twist rate on your tikka 300win? I have the the same(tikka 300win superlite 1-11" tw) wish it was 10twist

What is the twist rate on your tikka 300win? I have the the same(tikka 300win superlite 1-11" tw) wish it was 10twist

1:11.

I'd rather it were even faster, but it really likes just about any 180 I stuff in it, and it does fine, not great, with the ELD-X 200's. I generally stick with the 180's in it. Trajectory doesn't change a whole lot over the heavies until the distance is further than what I'd personally shoot at a game animal , anyway - 800+. Didn't even intend to leave it a 300; was originally going to turn it into a fast twist .284. but it cuts near one hole groups with a couple different loads and bullets I tried in it, so didn't care to mess with it. I have more costly guns and more costly scopes, but the Tikka/LRHS combo has really grown on me. Still planning a fast .284. Just haven't decided on a Tikka, one of the 700 actions I have on the shelf, or something else. Leaning towards 7mm rem in a 700 for max COAL. Being a lefty, choices are more limited.

I did recently order an Altitude stock for the Tikka from Mesa Precision. I also have MT bottom metal and MT billet mags for it.

The bases were 15-7/8", as measured by the wildlife biologist. Lost points on the brooming, but I was very happy with the mass. He was largest of the six rams in the group.

That's awesome. I think sheep are amazing. I was fortunate enough to get to see a lot of sheep. I grew up in Boulder city and they hang out at the park down by the lake.
My sheep had 15 1/8 bases b&c was 1716/8 I was pretty lucky.

The warden has two sheep the ewe was a 30-06 180 partition , juvi ram was a 6.5-300 weatherby with a 140 accubond, I myself just get to pack them out

Attachments

• IMG_1122.jpeg
    IMG_1122.jpeg
    596.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3805.jpeg
    IMG_3805.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3937.jpeg
    IMG_3937.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 91
When I get around to chasing Dall sheep (moved to AK two years ago, time has been too tight for sheep with toddler in the house so far). I'll use a Model 7 in 257 Rob improved. Shoots like a dream, under 7lbs. Built for my toddler on an action I've had for decades. Turned out well enough it will probably need a new barrel before she gets it.

My son used a 6.5 PRC last fall with a 156 Berger at about 2960 MV. Took out the shoulder and he crashed 10 feet away. It really is an ideal round for western midsize game like sheep and deer.

Oregonian, do you know what your son is using for load data? That's right around where I want to be, MV-wise. Thanks.