What caliber build on rem 700 .540 bolt face

Ugly Dog

I have a Remington 700 in 7mm that's loosing accuracy (throated about 4"). I'm looking at doing a low budget build. I don't want to do any modifications to the action, magazine or stock. The stock is for a sendaro profile. I am wanting to get into a LR target rifle that I can hunt with.. I'd like something that shoots somewhat flat like a 338 edge but doesn't like the crap out of you. I shot a 338 ultra without a break and I don't care for that kind of recoil in a hunting rifle. I will put a break on whatever I build. What do you recommend and why? Thanks in advance

I have a Remington 700 in 7mm that's loosing accuracy (throated about 4"). I'm looking at doing a low budget build. I don't want to do any modifications to the action, magazine or stock. The stock is for a sendaro profile. I am wanting to get into a LR target rifle that I can hunt with.. I'd like something that shoots somewhat flat like a 338 edge but doesn't like the crap out of you. I shot a 338 ultra without a break and I don't care for that kind of recoil in a hunting rifle. I will put a break on whatever I build. What do you recommend and why? Thanks in advance
I forgot to add that I would occasionally be hunting game from coyotes to elk.

I'd do an Edge, been wanting one for years but find out what else you need to do for a 4" mag box and get it to feed well.

Pushing the easy button I would do a 300WM in a heartbeat too, throated properly for the bullets you want to use it is a fantastic chambering. it should feed well as is but a 3.600" mag box helps it a lot with heavy bullets and should be simple to do. I would also consider a RUM variant, the 30 and 33 Nosler are also interesting with good brass, a 28 Nosler is a good one too but these all need at least a 3.600" mag and would need work to feed I think. I would also look long and hard at a 7-300WM too, but I have lots of 300WM brass and like 7mm, and I have 28 Noslers already. Easy button again but not a standard chambering.

7 SAUM or 7 PRC,.. VERY accurate at, L R and easily manageable Recoil with, a Brake.
PLENTY for,.. Elk / Moose with, Berger H-VLD, 168's to 180's or, a 175 ELD-X's
162 SST's / 168 Bergers, would cut, a Coyote,.. in Half !
Trust Me, LOWER Recoil, will help to, make You,.. a better, shooter !

Last edited:
I'm looking at doing a low budget build.
I am wanting to get into a LR target rifle

If fun and hunting is your goal then your choices are many. But the concept of low budget and LR target shooting will come into conflict. Nary the 'twain will meet unfortunately. LR requires excellent glass at least and it's expensive.

Recoil from the larger cartridges, heavy bullets and increased powder capacity is a fact of life. LR target shooting does not require a .338 caliber cartridge, especially on a low budget. Many of us shoot the .30 caliber cartridges and now the current trend is the 7mm variety. I have a .300 Weatherby which I shoot at longer ranges as well as hunting. It's in a Sendero stock with a Bartlein Sendero barrel. But you could also consider the .300 PRC cartridge, .300 Win. Mag. or the 7mm PRC and the 7mm Rem. Mag. to accomplish your goals. There are several .30 caliber and 7mm cartridges to look up. Look at the bullets you might consider as well since the length of those will help determine the twist rate in your new barrel.

Be prepared before you start spending money.

:)

What is the longest mag length you can load out of the mag now?

For "softer" recoil why not another 7 Rem Mag. Throat the barrel long to shoot heavies for long range. I did this and load 190 Bergers to about 3.5" + / -. Running 2835 fps. Probably faster with different powders.

Easy on the shoulder with a brake, but not terrible without it.

I have a pretty heavy 338 Lapua at abot 15+ pounds. It beats me up pretty good. My 7 mag is just a hair over 9 and it shoots much nicer ( I've gotten soft).

A 4" throat ?? :eek:

Personally for what you want (coyote to elk & long range) i'd screw another 7mm Rem Mag barrel on.

I'd hate to see what a coyote looks like after getting hit by a 338!!
They get ugly after a hit from a 100gr Ballistic Tip from a 257 Roberts. (I grabbed the wrong cartridges once. Meant to take the 90gr BlitzKings)

Lots of good choices for a 700 action for the zero to 1500 shots.
After 1500 things get sorted out pretty quick.
And so do the ways you go about building them.
The edge works on a 700 action because of the rebated case head, same as the ultra mags.
I once had a 30x378 with a rebated case head that i used on a standard magnum bolt face Rem. bolt.
But the load i used dictated that it was actually an early version of the 300 ultra mag, not a true 30x378.
It all depends upon wether your happy by just fooling others, or fooling yourself as well.
But thats where the after 1500 part takes over.
Not a thing wrong with a 300 Win or a 300 ultra or a 300 wby.
In my opinion bigger cases need a bigger action.

My vote is for another 7 mag or 300 win. With the current selection of high BC bullets for the 7 it will do most everything you'd want. I might have to have one built just to play with it. In my opinion the 300 win is a hard to beat all around caliber though. There is a lot of great factory ammo for it and it's easy to load for. Good luck with the build!

I'm looking at doing a low budget build. I don't want to do any modifications to the action, magazine or stock.

Well, that leaves out the .338 Edge due to the necessary modifications which are required to make this cartridge feed. Also the use of a longer than standard box can require cutting the action for clearance to use these boxes.

Besides, unless you choose to send your rifle to Defensive Edge for this proprietary chamber, using any of the reamers available now will simply result in getting a .338 Edge with the proprietary throat and leade.

Without changes, you can certainly use the 7mm Rem Mag and other belted and non-belted mags which fit your magazine.

Enjoy the search!

:)

7 mag for the win, 162-168 at 3100 fps with Retumbo. 175g Sierra btsp, ELDX, Nosler long range accubond at 3030-3050 with R#26 is real world where the accuracy is 3/8".
Gentry muzzle break seals the deal, a side discharge if you are laying on the ground.

I have new reamers available for purchase in 7 Practical(300 Win) and 7 Mashburn super if you have any interest along with new Winchester 300 win mag brass, white box. Both of these large 7's push the 162-168 at 3250+ in the accuracy node with 3300-3350 being about max in 26" barrels.

300 Win Mag brass will be plentiful during our lifetime, 28 Nosler...who knows.

I have a 300 prc i built on a 7mm rem mag barreled action, best thing i ever did! Did a Remage from Mcgowen and wow. Shoots under .75 moa with factory ammo.