What about .270 Winchester?

I should note thought the 270 WBY was one of the easiest cartridges to make accurate loads for. It was right up there with the 308 Win. But that was with the standard 1-10 twist for 270's. Not a fast twist one.
Here's a three shot group at 600 with my old faithful 270 Weatherby who's on her third barrel. Top group is the 270 and the bottom group is a 30-378. First shots on both were cold bore with a center hold. Next two were held just under the top left ear on the plate. 117 Hammer Hunters in the 270 and 181 Hammer Hunters in the 30-378 slightly modified. I've never owned a 270 win but this this has me thinking of and wanting to build one with a fast twist.

Attachments

• 169E4C88-0060-4DD2-BEF7-95A5B5722E87.jpeg
    169E4C88-0060-4DD2-BEF7-95A5B5722E87.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
When I was a young man I hunted with a .308 or an '06 and all was well. Before my Grandfather passed away I inherited his old Remington 700 chambered in .270 Winchester. I thought out of sentiment I'd go Mule Deer hunting with it once . . . and I never went back to the .30 calibers.

I don't know what it is about that cartridge and it sure can't be explained by looking at ballistic charts. It produces moderate recoil, has a flat trajectory, every .270 I've owned has been quite accurate (especially with Sierra Game Kings) and for some reason they kill very quickly and cleanly. My hunting buddy in Nevada and another in Wyoming refer to it as the .270 Magic. My Son and I have tinkered with other calibers and also found the 6.5-284 to be terrific. Still, for everything from Elk to Deer to Antelope to Coyotes I keep going back to the .270 Winchester. I make a little joke about it, but it's really true . . . I'm well aware there are other hunting cartridges besides the .270, I just don't know why!

Whatever cartridge you select, have fun and good hunting to you Sir!

If you're going to wait for factory 270 fast twist ,forget it . Think outside bun LOL. How long has the great 270 lasted from 1925 , it's down loaded to benefit factory ballistic charts and make other favorites look better . All's fare in advertising hype another LOL. Yes I'll Champion the great 270 Winchester,but I like all 270's , pretty sure the factory loaded the first 270's to 3160 fps let's keep this 270 thread on the Train Tracks shall we . 😯🧐😉😆

Some young whipper snapper from Saskatchewan already said everything I was going to say. Thanks Calvin45, now I don't have to type as much.:):) I will add that I have been using the boring Hornady Inter locks in 150 grain with IMR4350 for 40 years. I am a little over the book recommendation for load, but have never had a pressure sign. Average velocity is 2983 FPS. never took a second shot at a critter.

If you're going to wait for factory 270 fast twist ,forget it . Think outside bun LOL. How long has the great 270 lasted from 1925 , it's down loaded to benefit factory ballistic charts and make other favorites look better . All's fare in advertising hype another LOL. Yes I'll Champion the great 270 Winchester,but I like all 270's , pretty sure the factory loaded the first 270's to 3160 fps let's keep this 270 thread on the Train Tracks shall we . 😯🧐😉😆
13 pages to underscore that Jack was right all along.

So I have been thinking about adding a .270 Win to the safe. The reason being during the ammo shortage you could ALWAYS find it on the shelf locally. I mean everyone had it and lots of it. When .308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag were all gone there were boxes off .270 everywhere.

So what is everyone's opinion on the old .270? I'll be looking for a moderately priced hunting type rifle. What barrel length, twist, and all of that? Any certain make or model you recommend in the $1000 or less price range?

Also, I'll add- the ability to purchase factory ammo now has way more influence on me than ever before. I have tons of bullets, brass, and powder. The problem is that primers are tough to find and expensive!
My wife swears by her dad's Weatherby Vanguard .270 Win. It has taken numerous elk and deer in its illustrious career with her dad, my wife and now, my 14 year old son. In our experience, high grain partition or interlock bullets (140 to 150) are good elk and muley medicine.

My wife swears by her dad's Weatherby Vanguard .270 Win. It has taken numerous elk and deer in its illustrious career with her dad, my wife and now, my 14 year old son. In our experience, high grain partition or interlock bullets (140 to 150) are good elk and muley medicine.
That can work no Q. All about shot placement but still like a heavier bullet for the Big Boys - 180 g - ideally 200g. to 220g.

Long live the king. That's how I feel about the .270 haha. It just works. Far more interesting to me than the .30-06 and just as emphatic a killer. If the 270 isn't enough gun for something neither is the .30-06…THERE I SAID IT 🤣 When both are loaded
To potential the 270 even with its 10 twist STOMPS the 6.5 creedmoor, and by the time those high bc 6.5 pills catch up let alone exceed the power of the 270 it's at a range where neither cartridge is a good choice for big game. It's embarrassing for the 7 rem mag how close the boring old .270 gets to it from a shorter barrel. Anything the .25-06 does the 270 does better (THERE I SAID IT! 🤣 - both are totally ridiculous for dedicated varmint or predator rounds and in my mind the .25-06 is forever the .25-almost Almost as in close to the .257 wby but not there yet haha. I know the same Is true about the 270 win and 270 wby but for some reason I don't care and that's mine to confess, I'm irrational!

I'm biased. It was my first rifle that was truly mine. And it performs so darn good. I often say it's a cartridge that doesn't know it's not a magnum.
I got a custom made 270, with a Douglas barrel.