What about .270 Winchester?

Here's the deal.......

I think I'd give the new Rem Arms rifles a try. They are promoting much tighter tolerance that are probably inline with Tikka's. And they are supposed to all have 5R rifling. The 7mm RM has a 1-8" twist right from the factory. I haven't had my hands on one yet. If I didn't NEED tires for my XJ Cherokee I'd have one in my hands right now.

As much as I love the 270 cal I'm just not willing to bet a barrel that I can get only one bullet to shoot.
700LA, 27"SS, 0.290 freebore, 3.67 max COAL.

So far, I have gotten the 156HH (G7~0.265) to shoot consistently 1/2MOA @3200fps. Killed my biggest WT with it. Run numbers and it does have good down range capability. So far, I haven't been able to really stretch it out since I lost access to gravel pit that is back in operation. Nerve of them!

The 170EOL topped out over 3100 but it seems to like 3050 for best accuracy. It is in 3/4MOA. I have not hunted with it.

I could not get the 165ABLR to shoot as well as I hoped to so its sitting on shelf until I find some time to reconsider.

Everything else in 140-150's shot well but I have found the 156HH GTG. I felt it would shoot the 150's etc fine. The one bullet that surprised me was the 160PART that shot great at 2900fps. The 175TGK also shot fine at 2900.

The real issue for .270 is to have good max magazine COAL capacity to get the most out of longer higher BC bullets. I also think the long case neck that many "hate" is perfect for seating the longer bullets out further.

The funny part is I built this rifle to shoot the 156HH and actually sent 156HH dummy rounds to Preferred Barrel to set the freebore. Gamble? Yep. I only wished PB had 1:7.5 tw at that time so have 1:8.

I should also say, though not ideal, John Barsness wrote an article on the 270 Win. He did run the Berger 170 gr though 22" 1-10" barrel and got them to shoot just fine. So even though I harp on a fast twist barrel a 1-10" twist can work. So like anything there are pros and cons for anything. If it fits your fancy the get a 270 whatever. what might not work for me ccould be perfect for you.

700LA, 27"SS, 0.290 freebore, 3.67 max COAL.

So far, I have gotten the 156HH (G7~0.265) to shoot consistently 1/2MOA @3200fps. Killed my biggest WT with it. Run numbers and it does have good down range capability. So far, I haven't been able to really stretch it out since I lost access to gravel pit that is back in operation. Nerve of them!

The 170EOL topped out over 3100 but it seems to like 3050 for best accuracy. It is in 3/4MOA. I have not hunted with it.

I could not get the 165ABLR to shoot as well as I hoped to so its sitting on shelf until I find some time to reconsider.

Everything else in 140-150's shot well but I have found the 156HH GTG. I felt it would shoot the 150's etc fine. The one bullet that surprised me was the 160PART that shot great at 2900fps. The 175TGK also shot fine at 2900.

The real issue for .270 is to have good max magazine COAL capacity to get the most out of longer higher BC bullets. I also think the long case neck that many "hate" is perfect for seating the longer bullets out further.

The funny part is I built this rifle to shoot the 156HH and actually sent 156HH dummy rounds to Preferred Barrel to set the freebore. Gamble? Yep. I only wished PB had 1:7.5 tw at that time so have 1:8.
Yeah see my 270 Win is JC Higgins Belgium FN Mauser so it has a short magbox. A Remington would have an advantage right from the factory. I think a 1-8" would be more than fast enough for my needs. The 156 gr HH @3200 FPS would suit my needs. The problem is I could shoot twice as many Berger 170 EOL's for the same price. So I'd go with the Bergers.

My Model 70 Featherweight chambered in 270W was my go-to hunter for a few decades 1970's-1990's). I used 140gr Nosler'(conventional designs) pushed to 2950-3000FPS. Great mid-range cartridge! Everything shot out to my typical max range of 400-500 yards back then dropped like it was hit by a bolt of lightning. Light weight, easy carry, with no issues getting consistent sub MOA performace. My hunting rifles evolved to the 270WSM, and ultimately the 6.5x284N.

The .270 is a fantastic gun in that mid size caliber like the .308, ,300, 30-06, & 6.5. The $1000 issue is the question. All manufacturers have the at least one model in that price range. However the question YOU need to ask yourself is, "What am I sacrificing for the cheaper product?". The higher priced models, all of them run in the neighborhood of $2000. For example the WBY Mark V and Win Model 70, I would recommend in a heartbeat, but the price is between $1800 - $2200.

Therefore, I would suggest that you go online and compare. Here are some links:
You can find the Browning X-Bolt Medallion .270 for under $1100 msrp.

My Model 70 Featherweight chambered in 270W was my go-to hunter for a few decades 1970's-1990's). I used 140gr Nosler'(conventional designs) pushed to 2950-3000FPS. Great mid-range cartridge! Everything shot out to my typical max range of 400-500 yards back then dropped like it was hit by a bolt of lightning. Light weight, easy carry, with no issues getting consistent sub MOA performace. My hunting rifles evolved to the 270WSM, and ultimately the 6.5x284N.
Really today's hunters have it pretty good if you never need to shoot beyond 400-500 yards. A 270 Win is fine there. As is the 30-06. 280 Rem, 284 Win, maybe even a 308 Win. For mid range hunters, which is still a pretty long shot, it's never been this good.

Long live the king. That's how I feel about the .270 haha. It just works. Far more interesting to me than the .30-06 and just as emphatic a killer. If the 270 isn't enough gun for something neither is the .30-06…THERE I SAID IT 🤣 When both are loaded
To potential the 270 even with its 10 twist STOMPS the 6.5 creedmoor, and by the time those high bc 6.5 pills catch up let alone exceed the power of the 270 it's at a range where neither cartridge is a good choice for big game. It's embarrassing for the 7 rem mag how close the boring old .270 gets to it from a shorter barrel. Anything the .25-06 does the 270 does better (THERE I SAID IT! 🤣 - both are totally ridiculous for dedicated varmint or predator rounds and in my mind the .25-06 is forever the .25-almost Almost as in close to the .257 wby but not there yet haha. I know the same Is true about the 270 win and 270 wby but for some reason I don't care and that's mine to confess, I'm irrational!

I'm biased. It was my first rifle that was truly mine. And it performs so darn good. I often say it's a cartridge that doesn't know it's not a magnum.
LOL - Good take.

For moderately priced firearms under 1000 (which is all I can afford at this time haha) my experiences with savage 111s and Weatherby vanguards has been just excellent.

Do not go super cheap. Not worth it. As in "the savage axis is a cheap piece of junk with metal that rusts notably faster than other rifles (my real experience - rust spots on alleged STAINLESS STEEL) with such a flimsy stock that any real recoil makes accuracy a challenge - my father in laws friend has one in 30-06 and it shot much much better after putting it into a more rigid aftermarkwt stock of some kind)

The 111 on the other hand is great and shoots lights out. Ugly or not.

The Weatherby vanguard is probably my vote for best value for your dollar in any production rifle made today. They shoot, theyr attractive, they're a bit heavier but for me that's a good thing, and ergonomically I just love how they feel in the hand and to shoulder.

For under 1k

1st vote wby vanguard
2 place savage 111
3 place tikka of some kind. Yes I'm putting tikka behind savage and weatherby. Yes I mean it.
Still have to find anything more accurate than a Tikka - in the $1,000 and under range. 1" MOA GUARANTEED. :)

So I have been thinking about adding a .270 Win to the safe. The reason being during the ammo shortage you could ALWAYS find it on the shelf locally. I mean everyone had it and lots of it. When .308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag were all gone there were boxes off .270 everywhere.

So what is everyone's opinion on the old .270? I'll be looking for a moderately priced hunting type rifle. What barrel length, twist, and all of that? Any certain make or model you recommend in the $1000 or less price range?

Also, I'll add- the ability to purchase factory ammo now has way more influence on me than ever before. I have tons of bullets, brass, and powder. The problem is that primers are tough to find and expensive!
I have some 30.06 ammo stacked away - but usually can find it. Do like 270s and 308s just fine - - but the trusty ole 06 can just do everything a bit better. :)

Like many here- My first personal rifle was a (cheap) Rem in .270 and it's killed piles of deer and pigs- still my main Texas rifle. If you're hunting IN, buying shelf ammo and don't expect to need to shoot further than 400, it may be tough to beat. They seem to eat cheap shelf ammo without complaining and return groups ~1MOA or better from CoreLokts, etc. I've been loading the 140gr Noslers and been pleased with those.

I second the suggestion that someone should buy the new Rem so we can get some reviews on it. Tikkas are a solid choice. I've been pleased with better models of Savages and I think you can get your hands on an A-Bolt close to that budget as well. I have a buddy with one that has a Leupold VX3 + CDS dial on top that is absurdly accurate at 400 yds using cheap Winchester SuperX 150's and it's a pleasure to shoot. Tremendous value.

So I have been thinking about adding a .270 Win to the safe. The reason being during the ammo shortage you could ALWAYS find it on the shelf locally. I mean everyone had it and lots of it. When .308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag were all gone there were boxes off .270 everywhere.

So what is everyone's opinion on the old .270? I'll be looking for a moderately priced hunting type rifle. What barrel length, twist, and all of that? Any certain make or model you recommend in the $1000 or less price range?

Also, I'll add- the ability to purchase factory ammo now has way more influence on me than ever before. I have tons of bullets, brass, and powder. The problem is that primers are tough to find and expensive!
Ok so I used the 270 Winchester for many years for everything from antelope to deer to bears and elk. Usually a one and done round.

But when you get into the bigger animals a bigger diameter bullet going very fast is more effective in my experience.

Going to 30 cal is over a 10% increase in frontal area. Some 30 cal mags can drive a 150 grain 400 fps faster than a 270 can drive a 130 grain.

When hunting game that can weigh over 250 pounds such as big deer, elk, bears, kudu, orox, wildebeest etc, the 30 cal. Magnums with tough mono bullets give you a higher chance for success and a one and done outcome.

Just my 2 cents after 60 years of experience.

I still love the 270 Winchester especially in a model 70 Winchester.

Ok so I used the 270 Winchester for many years for everything from antelope to deer to bears and elk. Usually a one and done round.

But when you get into the bigger animals a bigger diameter bullet going very fast is more effective in my experience.

Going to 30 cal is over a 10% increase in frontal area. Some 30 cal mags can drive a 150 grain 400 fps faster than a 270 can drive a 130 grain.

When hunting game that can weigh over 250 pounds such as big deer, elk, bears, kudu, orox, wildebeest etc, the 30 cal. Magnums with tough mono bullets give you a higher chance for success and a one and done outcome.

Just my 2 cents after 60 years of experience.

I still love the 270 Winchester especially in a model 70 Winchester.
Totally agree. Wile it is all about shot placement- shock power helps.

Recent Posts