What about .270 Winchester?

Too bad there isn't a vomit like!🤮😂
puke throw up GIF
I just use the gif option. Many on this forum know I'm not a fan of the 6.5 CM marketing. Good cartridge with good ballistics. If the 270 Win came from the factory with a fast twist there wouldn't even be a comparison.

Fire forming loads with bullets are extremely accurate, formed case loads easy to tune. 260 AI is a very fast and extremely accurate round. 139g-140g at 2950 does not suck!
That's what I've found. As of now my fire forming loads are the more accurate load, but that's with just one bullet. I really haven't had a chance to really test it. But here's a coldbore headshot I got just yesterday. 533 yards I aimed for the head, caught it under the chin.

Attachments

• 20230429_122220[1].jpg
    20230429_122220[1].jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 60
270 is still my all time favorite. Outstanding hunting round. It is extremely popular because it achieves excellent ballistics without any caveats like need fast twist for super high bc bullets or load to higher than saami pressure. You get relatively mild recoil, excellent accuracy, great feeding, and 4-5 in magazine. You have tons of hunting bullet options and excellent availability of components and factory ammo. If you do want fast twist, the bullets are there now for the newer 270s and can buy the rifles from browning. The only downside, if can call it that, for the 270 is there are only few match bullets. That was never a concern to me as the 270 is a hunting round. I expect that is same with most 270 users. However, I expect with military adopting the new 6.8 round that is about to change.

As for rifles, i would look at win 70 fw if
Wood/blue is your thing. Browing xbolt, bergara, tikka should also have some sub 1k offerings.

Lou

My first rifle was a 270 Winchester. Blew that one up. (Looong story, worth retelling.) I haven't been without one since then.

As I hunted with the 270 I just took it for granted every rifle killed like that! It's been 60 years. Today I've graduated to the WSM and a 7.5T barrel. It's a custom. (Defiance anTi Medium, Proof, yada, yada, yada...) The all up rifle will be about 7# ready for ammo. Some time in the next few weeks I'll pick it up from Weaver Rifles.
I still have a 700 in 270 Winchester.

I hunted coyotes with the 22/250 AI for decades, then the 243 AI, dabbled with a couple of 6 Rem AI's, and now the 260 Ai.

No doubt that the 260 AI is stupid easy to develop sub 3/8" and smaller loads for and a GREAT choice for a guy to make on a 270 long action re-barrel. I have an old Rem 700 ADL Wood stock that I am about to pull the barrel off of and it will be another 260 AI.

For a coyote hunter that does not save hides, 95g V max and Nosler Varmageddons in the 260 AI would offer some very humane kills.

XSN, that was one heck of a shot!

For a guy that was looking to get into reloading, the 260 AI would be one heck of a first cartridge to reload for as searching for a super accurate load would be easily attained.

Last edited:
270 is still my all time favorite. Outstanding hunting round. It is extremely popular because it achieves excellent ballistics without any caveats like need fast twist for super high bc bullets or load to higher than saami pressure. You get relatively mild recoil, excellent accuracy, great feeding, and 4-5 in magazine. You have tons of hunting bullet options and excellent availability of components and factory ammo. If you do want fast twist, the bullets are there now for the newer 270s and can buy the rifles from browning. The only downside, if can call it that, for the 270 is there are only few match bullets. That was never a concern to me as the 270 is a hunting round. I expect that is same with most 270 users. However, I expect with military adopting the new 6.8 round that is about to change.

As for rifles, i would look at win 70 fw if
Wood/blue is your thing. Browing xbolt, bergara, tikka should also have some sub 1k offerings.

Lou

Agree

It also has decent barrel life, especially as a hunting round. That's what my .257 weatherby has going against it (and for the travelling hunter ammo availability is a plus - I have a .243, 270, and 300 win mag. They're my practical rounds. Hardware stores in small towns have those. My .257 bee, 8mm mauser, and for sure my .358 Norma…not so much)

But I do sure love my 257 now and honestly it's kind of taking my .270s place for now.

As I've loaded it the .257 it is at least as energetic as standard .30-06 loads with less felt recoil than my .270 and a flatter trajectory by far than the .243 or even .22-250 or .220 swift. What's not to love?

But another point in the 270s favour: many guides and outfitters draw the line right at the .270 win for acceptable elk and moose cartridges. Of course they can be humanely dispatched with much less gun, BUT the 270 with a premium 140-150 is able to take care of business on an elk or moose from shot angles where lesser cartridges are a gamble. It seems a very sensible line to me. I know it's arbitrary to a degree, not much difference between a .270 and a 6.5-06 haha but you gotta draw it somewhere and this makes sense to me.

I'd add that my other two "practical" cartridges are "draw the line" ones as well.

The .243 win is still in some states and provinces the minimum for big game hunting. This always seemed appropriate to me and I for one am actually not in favour of my own province of Saskatchewan changing that recently. Yes a deer isn't hard to kill, poachers use .22s all the time. But the .243 has enough horsepower to ensure humane killing in a way that the now legal .223 does not. I know, I know, tons of people kill things with the .223 all the time. I still think there is absolutely ZERO reason anyone needs to use something weaker than the .243 for big game hunting apart from desperate times, desperate measures, which does not apply to most people in the modern western world. It's a level of extra insurance and power that I think shows respect for the quarry, that you're not going to risk an underpenetrating or underpowered or narrow wounding compromise round on it.

And I've seen the .300 win mag referenced as the recommended minimum for bison and brown bear by a number of northern guides and outfitters. Again, I know lines are arbitrary, and anything a .300 mag can kill can be taken cleanly with a .30-06…but again you gotta draw the line somewhere and this also makes sense.

On large bodied game I'd prefer a larger bullet still but the fast 30 calibers do hit with authority that the 7mms and under simply do not regardless of energy tables. Just my opinion. And those experienced guides' opinions.

I like the 270. I have a custom that shoots everything into small groups. My new load is reloader 16 and a 140 Sierra game changer. My kids shoot a 90 gr speer gold dot with h4895 in a reduced recoil load around 2850. It's extremely versatile. I've hit 3050 with a 150 Sierra and rl26. I would not feel out of place hunting anything from elk to varmints. Best wishes

If this crazy economy does a nose dive, the standard calibers will reign supreme, 243, 6.5 Creed, 270, 308, 30/06, 7 Mag, and 300 Win

I am going to buy 5 boxes of the Hornady 145 ELD-X to feed my four 270's, BC on this bullet is darn good for 400 yard deer and hog killing.

Got two in the safe now! Have owned dozens! Two cartridges I won't be without a 270 and a 308. Probably killed 85-90% of everything with one or the other, excluding a bow. If it was good enough for Jack it is good enough for me. A few others would be 7x57, 30-06, 375 H&H those would cover the bases pretty well. Love the 270 win it was my first big game rifle. Look for a good classic. Never owned one that would not shoot.

More Remingtons than I can remember, several Sakos, A Tikka or two, several Winchester classics and pre 64s, a beretta Mato, a Dakota 76, and a Weatherby mark V.

My favorites were and are the beretta, a Remington custom c with a hand oiled stock and a Sako 85 Finnlight 2.

For what you want to spend in a new rifle pick up a tikka T3x roughtech.

Recent Posts