What’s your spookiest hunting experience?

Grouse do the same thing up here. They'll wait until you're about 2 feet away and then just explode. They're not a graceful bird and when they fly it's with high speed, thumping wing beats. The worst is when you're trying to side step for a better angle on a deer, focused on the deer only, and a grouse lets loose right behind you. I don't think it will ever be something that doesn't scare me.
Ring Neck Pheasant in Korea got me.
Walking a fenceline in the DMZ area, towards the Swiss-Swede Camp. The guy with me keeps emphasizing to "stay on the trail" due to landmines. That, and the signs on the fence really get your attention. When at one point, a pheasant burst out of the brush at my feet. Thought I was a goner.

Ring Neck Pheasant in Korea got me.
Walking a fenceline in the DMZ area, towards the Swiss-Swede Camp. The guy with me keeps emphasizing to "stay on the trail" due to landmines. That, and the signs on the fence really get your attention. When at one point, a pheasant burst out of the brush at my feet. Thought I was a goner.
Oh man that would be the ultimate case of Brown Pants Syndrome

This has been the most entertaining thread in a long time. Thank you for all the contributions, especially the ones that caused me to laugh out loud.
I thought this might bring out some good stories! A friend and I were packing out a bear in early august and started swapping stories of weird stuff we had encountered, and it made me wonder what else folks have run into

That's a good gag but man… that's a good way to get ventilated too!
He was about seventy five yards behind me, he said that whenever I would turn my head to listen he would lay down real quick. His dark green uniform just blended in. He was about ten yards behind me as I was getting into the truck. He was a sneaky SOB. But I guess that is job description for game warden.

He was about seventy five yards behind me, he said that whenever I would turn my head to listen he would lay down real quick. His dark green uniform just blended in. He was about ten yards behind me as I was getting into the truck. He was a sneaky SOB. But I guess that is job description for game warden.
That's impressively sneaky!

Two years ago I went archery deer hunting on a local state park that has very rugged terrain so it's not hunted much. I hiked in and found a good spot and used my climbing tree stand. I was digging my binoculars and water out of my backpack and I heard a giant "SNAP" behind me. I turned around to see the top two foot of a fourteen foot tree falling to the ground about 25 yards away from me. I scanned and stared in that direction for 10 minutes and the woods were eerily quiet. I couldn't figure out WTH happened because I looked at the tree with binoculars and it wasn't dead but it was broke off clean. I waited a bit and didn't hear anything, no birds, squirrels, nothing. I climbed down and got out of there and went home.
I got home and my wife immediately asked if I got one since I was home early. I replied no and of course she asked what was going on and I said I have no idea but if I figured it out I would let her know. I told her the next day but still have no idea what broke off the tree. I ain't been back to that area since.

I have two episodes. Number one I was walking back to the truck after bow hunting on Ft. McClellan Alabama in the 90s down a fire break. A bat was flying up and down the fire break over my head. Then I noticed what I thought was a robin fly into the brush right ahead of me. Suddenly the bat was coming back towards me and the robin, that turned out to be a sparrow hawk intercepted the bat and both of them collided with the back of my head and got tangled up in my climbing tree stand. I screamed like a six year old girl. Number two. Hunting in LA, lower Alabama. One of our leases heavy swamps and low ridges. Arrow straight dirt roads. Was Walking back to the truck and got the sixth sense I was being followed. Sun was setting behind me, so I squatting down to sky light anything. Nothing! Kept walking but the further I went the more anxious I became. Ok, there is something there. I stopped dead in the two track road and waited with my 9mm in hand, nothing. Ten minutes later its full dark and I've got my flashlight out. I'm still looking back with the light. Nothing! I'm about to be in full panic mode. Get to the truck throw the tree stand in the back of my tahoe and as I got to the drivers side door I holstered the pistol and climbed in. At that moment something jumped on the back of the Tahoe and was bouncing up and down. Now I'm really freaking out. I jumped out, still don't know why, and drew the pistol. My Game Warden buddy who was a lease member shines his flash light on me say its ok, put down the pistol. He he had parked up the road and came in where I was hunting to " Help me drag one out". His words. But the big grin on his face told the real story. He scared three years off my life. He told the story for two decades.
He's very lucky not to have been drt. Joking around when guns are out is not a great way to live your life well.

Nothing much has ever truly frightened me while hunting, but there was one time when I was a young teen and squirrel and other hunting till "dark 30". I was making my way back home in the moonless dark, when I felt I was being watched. I would stop, slowly listen in all directions, and then take a few more steps and do the same. Something was behind me about 30 yards or so, but in the moonless darkness of the deep woods, I could not make it out. Suddenly, a barred owl about 10 feet up a tree and right beside me gave his best "high ball" scream he could muster. I jumped a few feet and felt as if I had a heart attack, as I turned that old 16ga single his direction. Needless to say, my pace toward home was a little faster, but with feelings of Ichabod Crane fleeing the headless horseman.
I am convinced that Foxes and owls are responsible for a great deal of superstition about "what's out there"…

The most gawdawful bloodcurdling hair raising sounds on earth. I could have swore to God I was listening to a woman being skinned alive and it was just a stupid fox! It's a sickening noise they can make.

I am convinced that Foxes and owls are responsible for a great deal of superstition about "what's out there"…

The most gawdawful bloodcurdling hair raising sounds on earth. I could have swore to God I was listening to a woman being skinned alive and it was just a stupid fox! It's a sickening noise they can make.
Foxes are terrible. I've only heard one. We caught it in a live trap, intending on a raccoon. Trying to release it, the thing made so many noises I was ready to shoot it in the cage just out of spite. Finally we grabbed some 2x12's and made a little chute, popped the gate of the trap, and stood back. That thing came out at Mach 2, hit about 30' and turned around and started screaming at us. It wasn't a great idea for its own health…

I realize this could go a few different directions, but I know we all have some stories that left us freaked out or weirded out.

I have two, both deer hunting in Northern Idaho. Hiking down a skid road when I heard the most insane yipping and cayaying. It was heading right at me at speed, and I went from confused to fully assuming I was about to be whacked by coyotes/wolves/feral dogs. My hind brain took over and I dove behind a stump and threw my rifle across it, just in time to see a pair of Barred Owls come zooming through the brush, just making the most godawful racket you've ever heard. Took a few minutes to calm down after that.

Second was weirder and still unexplained. I packed a small muley about 4 miles back to the truck, arrived around 9pm, and found another guy waiting by my truck. Super nice, said he was just making sure I made it off the mountain cause it wasn't the safest area (his words). I asked him why, and he just put his finger to his lips and said "sit and listen". I was wrecked so I was happy to sit for a bit. After about 5 minutes, on the opposite side of the canyon I heard what I can only describe as a wounded elk squalling. Half bugle, high pitched, but changing tempo and pitch oddly. It went straight to the spine and made me want to bail. Right as that sound ended, the same type of call lit off on the mountain I had just came down. A third call answered the second from back to the west a good ways. These three calls went back and forth for all of 15-20 minutes before they just stopped with no warning. The other guy and I hadn't said a word the whole time we listened, fairly transfixed. Then he just smiled and me and said "this is why I waited. Not a good mountain to be on after dark". And off he drove. I have no idea what I heard that night (I'm not a big foot believer) but it was the most eerie, hair raising communication I've ever heard. I moved shortly after that (graduated from school and moved home) and I've never been back up there.
If you have ever hunted in Central California, you've probably run into wild boar roaming around. Now these boar are mean and will confront humans with no thought. The Spanish settelers back in the day brought them over for food, sport, and as it turned out, to control rattlesnakes. A friend of mine and I were out hunting birds and boars. We both had sidearms, 12ga 8 shot for the birds and each of us had 12ga slugs for the boar. We got zip the first day and ate chili for dinner. The day got long and we decided to camp. I had a very old army surplus tent with a broken door zipper. No floor. Somewhere around 2-3 am (I think), my buddy rolled over snoring loudly and woke us both up. I felt something move on the foot of my sleeping bag. I managed to focus my eyes and saw the biggest Western Diamond back I have ever seen snagging warmth from my bag. Don't ask me why it didn't crawl into my bag. Just lucky I guess. I just stared at it. My buddy let out a screech that any 6 year old girl would be proud of. My ears hurt. He pulled out his .38 special and put 2 rat shot shells through the foot of my bag. The bag was shredded, but somehow my feet were unscathed. The snake was no more. We exited that tent like a vapor jumping up and down hollering at the top of our lungs. (At this point all of our firearms were IN the tent). A rustle in the brush to our left caught our attention and we fixed our gaze there. After what seemed like 5 minutes (more like 5 seconds), a fully grown mountain lion stood up and let out a growl and hiss I never want to hear again. It had been lying in the brush, presumably trying to figure out its dinner. It ran off out of sight immediately afterward and all was silent again. Why that cat stayed there through the gunshots and screaming we were making absolutely bamboozles me, I was dumbfounded. But who am I to argue? I bought a new tent WITH a door zipper and floor. Yes, I stained my pants and my buddy barfed for 10 minutes. It was only then we realized neither of had a weapon in hand, they were left in the tent. My knees went to rubber and I hit the ground. Lessons learned. I can only guess the my lord God had others plans for us.

If you have ever hunted in Central California, you've probably run into wild boar roaming around. Now these boar are mean and will confront humans with no thought. The Spanish settelers back in the day brought them over for food, sport, and as it turned out, to control rattlesnakes. A friend of mine and I were out hunting birds and boars. We both had sidearms, 12ga 8 shot for the birds and each of us had 12ga slugs for the boar. We got zip the first day and ate chili for dinner. The day got long and we decided to camp. I had a very old army surplus tent with a broken door zipper. No floor. Somewhere around 2-3 am (I think), my buddy rolled over snoring loudly and woke us both up. I felt something move on the foot of my sleeping bag. I managed to focus my eyes and saw the biggest Western Diamond back I have ever seen snagging warmth from my bag. Don't ask me why it didn't crawl into my bag. Just lucky I guess. I just stared at it. My buddy let out a screech that any 6 year old girl would be proud of. My ears hurt. He pulled out his .38 special and put 2 rat shot shells through the foot of my bag. The bag was shredded, but somehow my feet were unscathed. The snake was no more. We exited that tent like a vapor jumping up and down hollering at the top of our lungs. (At this point all of our firearms were IN the tent). A rustle in the brush to our left caught our attention and we fixed our gaze there. After what seemed like 5 minutes (more like 5 seconds), a fully grown mountain lion stood up and let out a growl and hiss I never want to hear again. It had been lying in the brush, presumably trying to figure out its dinner. It ran off out of sight immediately afterward and all was silent again. Why that cat stayed there through the gunshots and screaming we were making absolutely bamboozles me, I was dumbfounded. But who am I to argue? I bought a new tent WITH a door zipper and floor. Yes, I stained my pants and my buddy barfed for 10 minutes. It was only then we realized neither of had a weapon in hand, they were left in the tent. My knees went to rubber and I hit the ground. Lessons learned. I can only guess the my lord God had others plans for us.
I think of all the tales so far, this one left me most vicariously terrified

Yikes!