What’s your pick, 300win or 7-300win

5eHCeRX.jpg

L-R: .300 WM, .300 WTBY

svTvpCJ.jpg

L-R: .300 Ackley, .30 LARA

300 winnie, because of the intended uses you listed. Or, if the itch gets really bad, how about the 7mm Practical?

The 7MM Practical. 300 Win Mag necked down. Nathan Foster of terminal ballistics designed this cartridge a few years ago. It shoots within 50 fps of the 7mm Rum with a barrel life of about 1200 rounds, compared to about 700 for the Rum. Dave Manson stocks the reamer. I had one built 3 months ago. So far it is everything that Nathan said. The 300 Win Mag has been necked down before. With out going into chamber dimensions. It is well thought out. And I feel its worth taking a look at if you want flat shooting 7MM. that cheats the wind. With 168 gr VLD Bergers and 77.2 Grs H1000 it shoots. 3225. At 3225 -3250 Vel. is the sweet spot. Its well worth your time to check out his web site and take a look at the full article on this round.

A RUM with a long mag box will be way over 100fps faster then a 7-300wm of any flavor. It has 20grs more powder capacity. Sure if you seat the bullets way deep to fit a short mag box then the gap narrows but max effort for both the RUM is the top dog. My 7-300's shoot 162's at 3265 and 3280 with H-1000. I built my buddy a 7 RUM and he runs 3200 with 195's. It's pretty hot there and brass life is short (2 to 3 shots) but it shoots in the .3's so he deals with it. Throttled back it still runs 3125+. That is nearly as fast as 7-300's shoot 180's.

What is your barrel life? Also 3225 vel. At 3225 is the sweet spot not saying you can't push it harder. My short post does not do the cartridge justice. As I said read the article before you judge you might be surprised. 77.2 grains of powder and better barrel life. that all I am saying.

I own 3 7-300wm's and 3 300wm's and I'd pick a .30 any day if elk or larger animals were on the menu on a regular basis. BTW I have 3 6.5-300wm's too and have killed several elk with all 3 calibers.
Dude!! We should hang out! LOL

I run 73grs of H-1000 in RWS brass with 162 Amax's to get those velocities. I've owned one of my 7-300's since the 80's. It's not a new caliber to me. It was the second wildcat I ever built.

What is your barrel life? Also 3225 vel. At 3225 is the sweet spot not saying you can't push it harder. My short post does not do the cartridge justice. As I said read the article before you judge you might be surprised. 77.2 grains of powder and better barrel life. that all I am saying.
A Nathan fan?? Me too!!! I have been working on switching to his shooting style. And surprise, surprise, I'm shooting better than ever.

A Nathan fan?? Me too!!! I have been working on switching to his shooting style. And surprise, surprise, I'm shooting better than ever.
Nathan is great to deal with always answers my questions. Emails back within a day. I send a few bucks his way to help keep his web site up and running. He spends a lot of his day answering questions. One of my favorite Nathan quotes when he has a disagreement trying to get he point across Is "what do I know I only shoot 1500 rounds a month"

I'm trying to simplify my life and focus on family and other things so I'm planning on not buying or building any more rifles for a couple years. This is my last chance to build a rifle that will be my go to hunting rifle for a while. I have everything, but the barrel, to build a long action magnum rifle but can't decide whether to go with a 30 cal or 7mm. I have brass and dies for 300win and could easily swap in a bushing to make it a 7-300win. I have wanted a 28nosler for a while, but I don't think I can justify the $ for dies and brass when I already have plenty of 300 Win components. Have owned several 300win mags and always liked them, I've also had several 7mm rem mag and a 7wsm Rifles and I liked them too. I just can't decide... what would you pick and why.

FYI, I live in western SD and it is wide open country. Last fall I killed a doe at 980yds, so long shots are a reality. I plan on using this rifle for hunting and practice. Mostly deer and antelope but i hope to draw an elk every year. This rifle is not going to be for fun steel shooting, I'll use a creedmoor or 6.5x47 for that.

Coming in late. 7-300 in a heartbeat.

I've read through Nathan Foster's whole website, and the guy has a mountain of knowledge. I have also corresponded with him by email and he is very cordial. I sent him photos of the deer that I shot with a 140amax at 980yds for his wound research. His info on the 7mm practical is the reason why it is my second choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.