What’s your pick, 300win or 7-300win

I don't have any experience in long rang shooting, but I have "plenty" in the "lay aside my hobby and put my family first", ha. In your stated reasons, its the 300WM. The "wildcat" will want more of your "time & money".Trust me, I'm 65 and been married to the same girl for 45yrs, raised twin girls, still Pastor the same church for the past 27yrs. I am a rifle looney from birth! ha Yet there are times you have to lay it aside ( or at least cut back) Life is too short as it is. You are a good man to even "consider it" though, so don't be hard on yourself, ha.

God bless you! I have two kids, both girls, and My wife is due any day with our 3rd our first boy. I want to spend more time with them, when they get a little older hopefully I can get them hooked on hunting and shooting. And I can build rifles for each of them.

I think you're shootin yourself in the foot....
You already have 30 cals....have had 284s....
Why waste money on anything at the moment...
Save it and get something awesome later....

Yep....I recently had a 65284 built...and bought an AR....
Never thought I would buy an AR....
Don't need another rifle..but I really liked the Nosler Patriot 65284 that came up for sale here last week.....just glad I wasn't too weak...

.......God bless you! I have two kids, both girls, and My wife is due any day with our 3rd our first boy. I want to spend more time with them, when they get a little older hopefully I can get them hooked on hunting and shooting. And I can build rifles for each of them...........

Changed my mind-Like RevJim I laid some things down to raise a family the way I wanted.

It has given me some insight into "kid's" rifles. I cut a Savage 93R17 FV SR to 10" LOP. Put a Burris Fastfire on it, and my hunting partners 5 y/o grandson is killing squirrels with it.

Next a quality .223.

The time rolls way faster than you realize.

I'd go 7mm RUM and call it a day. 195s at screaming speeds yikes talk about WAAYYY OUT THERE. BUT I am a 7 mm guy so take that into consideration. But that will be my first build. I love my Sendero 7mmRM.

Best of luck

My issues with the 7RUM or any RUM is brass availability and magazine space.

It's been a long time since I've even considers a RUM, are these items still an issue? Mainly brass, there's no mag longer than 4 inches that I'm aware of.

I bought 7mm RUM brass a few months ago from the EOL store. Still in stock. Norma brass. Some new folks in the brass business as well, that might have something.

My issues with the 7RUM or any RUM is brass availability and magazine space.

It's been a long time since I've even considers a RUM, are these items still an issue? Mainly brass, there's no mag longer than 4 inches that I'm aware of.

This is where I've been, I bought a 300 rum Reamer a couple years ago, but then never used it, Brass disappeared and it just didn't seem practical. And then the Nosler cartridges came along making the RUM stuff seem poorly designed.

This is where I've been, I bought a 300 rum Reamer a couple years ago, but then never used it, Brass disappeared and it just didn't seem practical. And then the Nosler cartridges came along making the RUM stuff seem poorly designed.

What?
.300RUM brass is easily obtainable.
.300RUM is capable of greater speeds than a 30 Nosler.
.300RUM is a very popular cartridge for LR hunting.
.300RUM is very accurate.

My .300RUM, with "just" Retumbo, pushes a 230 Hybrid @ 3068fps into the .2s. I could go to RL33 to get more out of it. But it is a hammer.

Back on topic of .300WM vs. 7-300, personally, I would go 7-300. I am a 7mm fan, plus, I like to be different. And since everyone is saying .300WM, I would go 7-300. 180-197s would scream out of it. It would easily be a 1k+ elk slayer as long as the shooter is capable.

What?
.300RUM brass is easily obtainable.
.300RUM is capable of greater speeds than a 30 Nosler.
.300RUM is a very popular cartridge for LR hunting.
.300RUM is very accurate.

My .300RUM, with "just" Retumbo, pushes a 230 Hybrid @ 3068fps into the .2s. I could go to RL33 to get more out of it. But it is a hammer.

Back on topic of .300WM vs. 7-300, personally, I would go 7-300. I am a 7mm fan, plus, I like to be different. And since everyone is saying .300WM, I would go 7-300. 180-197s would scream out of it. It would easily be a 1k+ elk slayer as long as the shooter is capable.

I guess I should have explained that I bought the Reamer back in 2012 before the crazy rush on all guns and reloading components when it was rare to see even 1 lb of powder at my local Cabela's. Also the poor design I had mentioned was really just about the length of the case in comparison to most all action magazine lengths.

I guess I should have explained that I bought the Reamer back in 2012 before the crazy rush on all guns and reloading components when it was rare to see even 1 lb of powder at my local Cabela's. Also the poor design I had mentioned was really just about the length of the case in comparison to most all action magazine lengths.
Copy. I got you. My .300RUM now has a Wyatt's box, so I can seat the 230s out. That is a valid point. I would think a .300WM could benefit from a Wyatt's box as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.