What’s the best controlled expansion bullet?

Reelamin, the velocity numbers that I provided you were my summer numbers during load development @ 3100 mv. My chart was based upon a lower mv of 3000 mv…..adjusting (SWAG system) for much cooler hunting conditions!

Sorry for the incorrect mv value! memtb

You still haven't stated what cartridge you're using.
And you still haven't posted ANYTHING the OP was asking for. I doubt he was looking for an argument thread.

He asked what bullets everyone is having "reliable and consistent performance" with and Memtb has had very good results with Barnes.
If you have an alternative, please share it.

I wasn't talking with the OP, its a forum meant for discussion and didn't know I needed your approval to post, if Ive offended the OP, which isnt you, then he can tell me that and probably doesn't need you to swoop in and save the day. And my alternative would be anything but a Barnes

I wasn't talking with the OP, its a forum meant for discussion and didn't know I needed your approval to post, if Ive offended the OP, which isnt you, then he can tell me that and probably doesn't need you to swoop in and save the day. And my alternative would be anything but a Barnes

Thank You for your contribution to the OP…….Good Night and have a great evening! memtb

I wasnt running his experience into the ground but making claims about bullet performance based on energy is flawed from the start, seems like the OP would probably want relevant info. I posted facts gathered from practical experience not numbers printed in a book to sell bullets

I wasnt running his experience into the ground but making claims about bullet performance based on energy is flawed from the start, seems like the OP would probably want relevant info. I posted facts gathered from practical experience not numbers printed in a book to sell bullets
…..if you use 2000 ft/lbs energy as your elk minimum!

This is from my original post in an attempt to answer the OP. Please note, I stated "if you use 2000 ft/lbs energy as your elk minimum! This in no way infers that I am a believer/follower of the ft/lbs energy theory!

I'm also a handgun hunter! Handguns are very effective killers of big game, with very few having high ft/lbs energy values…..yet they kill quite convincingly!

The OP asked for a bullet for "all" western game! That alone convinced me that he would be using one bullet for everything not a different bullet for each and every game animal or scenario! With that understanding……the bullet will be a compromise on most game/scenarios. And while monos may not the "the best" for some scenarios…..they will work for all scenarios!

It appears sir, that you are just trying to be argumentative with those that haven't read or adhere to "your" book! memtb

Last edited:
I just asked a simple question about what cartridge you were shooting but never answered and then clarified your prior post with more irrelevant data about energy that is an irrelevant metric that you allegedly dont believe in

I just asked a simple question about what cartridge you were shooting but never answered and then clarified your prior post with more irrelevant data about energy that is an irrelevant metric that you allegedly dont believe in

Sir, I wasn't directing my post to you. I attempted to give my best answer/opinion to his question. I "only" used ft/lbs. energy in my response, because many folks "do" use ft/lbs energy as a determining factor in cartridge choice!

Had I known that my post would have offended you to this degree…..I wouldn't have changed a thing! 😉 memtb

I have taken game animals with maybe 10 different so called premium bullets and most have performed well under most conditions. And I have field dressed animals where another 10 or so brands and designs were used. But the claims of being the perfect bullet for nearly all conditions don't exist. Some work at 200 yds but don't at 1000 and vice versa. Therefore I limit my shot distance to about 500 yds unless I'm trying to put down a wounded animal, and use calibers that can start the selected bullet with a muzzle velocity with at least 2900 fps, preferable 3100 to 3200. Then I am pretty sure the bullet will arrive at the target with the intended results. All of the premium bullets can do that, some just a little better. I look for the ones that are most accurate with the rifles I have. I do know that with the mono's, a heavier bullet is not needed as they retain their weight and momentum and penetration well. But those shooting beyond 700 yds will benefit from using the long sleek heavy for caliber bullets where aerodynamics plays a huge factor.

This was a 165gr Trophy Bonded Tip out of a 30-06 through a 4x4 blacktail at about 30 yards. Went through the right shoulder, trachea, through the left shoulder, and out the back and I got lucky enough to dig it out of the dirt behind the buck. I didn't remember to measure the expanded width but it looks at least 2x wider than .308. It weighs 150gr exactly, so 91% weight retention after a close range impact. MV was 2800fps.

Attachments

• IMG_5444.jpeg
    IMG_5444.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5445.jpeg
    IMG_5445.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5446.jpeg
    IMG_5446.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 48