weight of your pack rifle?

My new 7mag is right at 9lbs. 26" sporter magnum barrel with a break, Mesa Altitude stock. Leupold 3-15x44 vx5hd.

My view on rifle weight has changed significantly through the years. I live in CO and have done my fair share of backpack hunting. My earliest rifles were the Kimber Montana in 270 WSM and Browning ABolt in 300 WSM - both scoped with slings were around 7.5 lbs. I used to be very picky about weight and shaving ounces (and still do) but I'll focus on my own body weight and backpack weight as a first priority.

I now have a LAW Professional 28 Nosler with Swaro Z3 that weighs in around 8 lbs and this is about as light as I prefer to go now. I just found I shoot slightly heavier rifles better and am more confident when the shot matters. I really do not notice the extra weight enough to shave the ounces. I also do quite a bit of plains antelope hunting and have a Seekins Havak with Leupold VX5 HD in 6.5 PRC and with sling this rifle is just about 8.8 Lbs. I think as long as the total rifle + scope setup is under 9.5 lbs, I would be comfortable carrying on a backpack hunting trip.

Remington titanium with leupold ultralight is 6lbs 5oz
My tikka Superlite in 300 win mag was same weight...scoped....no brake. It was a real snot bubbler. I've since switched to a heavier scope and back to factory stock. Sitting at 8lbs now much more manageable recoil.

Never weighed it. Just use my normal hunting rifles. Figure I'm better off losing 10 pounds before the hunt, than trying to whittle away a couple of pounds from a rifle.

In the photo, I'm carrying my 25-06 700 CDL with a 6x Leupold. That and the near twin 30-06 version are the rifles I hunt with mostly. Good general-purpose rifles. Not ultra-lights, not porky either.
X1CoxPcl.jpg

Regards, Guy
That is a sweet chamber combo you own. I hope to find a younger sibling for my 30 06 someday

Mine is a 270 wsm Tikka t3 lite with a Manners stock, Leupold vx3i 30mm scope, 25 inch pencil barrel with 1:8 twist. Shoots 170 grain Bergers under MOA out to 1300 yds and right at 3000 fps. It's my favorite backpack rifle despite the longer barrel. 7 lbs 5 oz.

Attachments

• IMG_20180924_100605_897.jpg
    IMG_20180924_100605_897.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 375
Over the years I've become quite the lightweight rifle junkie.
I guess those years of carrying machineguns finally convinced me to go lighter. LOL
Most of mine are 6-7 pounds all up (Rem Ti's, Kimber, Cooper etc).
None are over 8#'s now.

Mine is a 338 RCM that weighs just under 7 pounds fully dressed and loaded. The action is a Model 7 Remington The barrel is a short #4 contour (Because of the bore) and I feel very comfortable with using it on and north american game.

J E CUSTOM
This is interesting to me, but for whatever reason I had never asked myself, what gun does JE haul around the mountains? Pics please.

This is interesting to me, but for whatever reason I had never asked myself, what gun does JE haul around the mountains? Pics please.

For Elk hunting I carried a bow for many years and later, I carried a 12.5 pound 338 RUM for the mountain hunting where shots of 1200 yards or less was the terrain potential and the 338 RCM in dark timber.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.