weight of your pack rifle?

I own a lot of rifles but my Remington 700 in 300 Winchester Mag (8 lbs ish)
is my go to kill rifle. This picture is kinda funny lol
IMG_1172.jpg

I came across large 6x6 with big tangle of barbwire in rack,high on mtn sparing with another six by,unfortunatly I was packing out a smaller 6 I arrowed earlier that day.Next day on pack out ran into large 7x7 herd bull

I came across large 6x6 with big tangle of barbwire in rack,high on mtn sparing with another six by,unfortunatly I was packing out a smaller 6 I arrowed earlier that day.Next day on pack out ran into large 7x7 herd bull
yup. I've also seen bulls draggin 50 foot of barbwire behind them! just though this was a funny picture of my wife with one of her cool buck

14 lbs. I am far more accurate with my heavy guns than my light ones. No where is accuracy more important to me than when hunting. I confidently make shots with my heavier guns that I would not take with a sub 8 lb gun. Some of these internet heroes make it sound like shooting 6 lb guns 1 moa to 1000 yards is easy. I have not met anyone yet who has been able to show me that ability. I'm sure they exist but they are not common.

This gave me something to think about as i am looking to build/buy a lightweight hunting rifle. I keep hearing intermittent reviews on the Christensen rifles not shooting accurately and this is may point to some of it. I hear the "I can shoot my comp gun in .5 MOA but cant get this Christensen to shoot" type defense.

Between 7 and 8lbs.

I like shooting heavier rifles, I like carrying lighter ones. For me that's the best compromise.

My mountain rifle is a Sako Finnlight. I've used and abused mine on 2 dall sheep and 4 mtn goat hunts in Alaska...and numerous bighorn, elk, deer, and antelope hunts in the Western US! I keep it bare minimum with accessories to keep it super light. It's advertised weight is 6 3/8 lbs. When I first laid eyes on it I could tell that it was quality (made in Finland). Although it is super light the 300 WSM hardly kicks...which is super nice! I love it!

This fall in Alaska I used a Remington Model SEVEN in .260 rem which weights 6.5lbs bare and loved it. It was not a backpack trip however, I would like to purchase one for my backpacking adventures. Though at 21 I probably shouldn't complain about packing around my 8.5 lb savage weather warrior.

Attachments

• IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 307
kid,
You make me sick. 21 years old! Being that age means ultra fast recovery form high exertion and not caring much whether you rifle weighs 6 lbs. 4 oz. or 6 lbs. 10 oz.

But in geezerhood (over 65) every ounce counts, especially those on your gut. Remember to use hiking poles to save your knees for later years so you can hunt well into geezerhood. ;o)

Eric B.

B3B9108C-D870-4B24-B37F-1A4A2FFA1607.jpeg
Not really a long range rig but 300 yards is easy enough. 7mm08 Remington mtn rifle ss. Manners eh8, leupy 2-7, 6.5lbs. Plenty light to carry but enough weight to feel steady while shooting in the field. My mountain ascent at 5.5lbs sways like a blade of grass in the wind.

I have had a bunch of ultralight and lightweight rifles built and I find a scoped rifle of
6 to 6.5 lbs with a 22" barrel seems to be the most practical from a backpackers perspective.
What I want is an all Stainless rifle as Sheep hunting in Northern BC can be a very wet miserable outing.
I have had built and donate an UltraLight Rifle each year to the Wild Sheep Society of BC and usually use a Kimber Montana 84M or 84L donor rifle and add a #1 Benchmark Contour barrel, this years(2019) rifle will be a 6.5-284 built on a Kimber Montana 84L.

I use a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS 30mm and Talley lightweights for my examples as this adds 1lb to your build and is a great compromise in a Lightweight/Longrange scope.

this is how I breakdown my goal weights when building UL rifles

Ultra Lightweight 5-6lbs scoped
Lightweight. 6-7.5lbs scoped
Standard. 7.5-9.5 scoped

here's a Cpl pictures of my own hunting rifle, Kimber Montana 84M 6.5-284 5Lbs with no scope and 6.5lbs with the Zeiss on it, this is my everyday sheep and deer hunting rifle

here's the 6.5 Creedmoor we donated last year at 6 Lbs scoped
What stock? Looks awesome

Tikka T3x Superlite .300 win
McMillan edge
Warne maxima rings
Leupold VX6hd 3-18x44

Just a touch under 7.5 unloaded no sling
Now I know what mine weighs, same rifle
Tikka T3x Superlite .300 win
McMillan edge
Warne maxima rings
Leupold VX6hd 3-18x44

Just a touch under 7.5 unloaded no sling
I have the same rifle/caliber. Just wondering what gains you got when switching to the edge?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.