weight of your pack rifle?

My Snowy Mountain Rifles 6.5 CM topped with a Razor HD Gen I tips the scales at 11 lbs. 3 oz. when it's sitting on my pack. I just like carrying a heavy rifle so I have something to whine about when I'm in the middle of a 3000' gain...

Just under 9 lbs. Stock rifle and a very basic 3x9 scope. Fact is, your average teenager, who usually gets the hand me down rifle that weighs a ton, can usually run circles around everybody in camp. Their bodies are lean and torso's weigh next to nothing. I'm thinking the lightest rifle is the one I'm carrying when I get down to my high school weight.

I have two. Both Christensen Arms Ridgelines. The 7mm is my fav all time caliber. The 6.5 PRC is new. Got an itch for a dall sheep soon.

7mm Rem. Mag.
total weight w/ Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50mm, Seekins pic rail and Talley mounts - 8 lbs.

6.5 PRC
total weight w/ Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44mm, Seekins pic rail and Talley mounts - 7.5 lbs.

P3141635.jpg
My 6.5 Creedmoor Browning X-Bolt Pro weighs 6 lbs. 1 oz. bare.
->With just a scope it weighs 8 lbs. 3 oz.
->With a scope and nylon webbing sling it weighs 8 lbs. 9 oz.
Haven't weighed 5 rounds of 6.5 CM yet, it's full compliment of ammo.

But this weight is with Burris rings and a Warne Pic. rail
I recently bought Talley rings so off comes the Pic rail and on go the Talley rings. (Burnt bronze Cerakote to match the rifle!) May save an ounce or two.

UPDATE: Just weighed the X-Bolt Pro with the Talley rings and saved only 1 oz. by changing over to them. But I did get that nice level in the rear ring. Thanks Talley for making that level. Nice and compact for a hunting rifle.

The X-Bolt Pro has a stainless barreled action that has fluted bolt handle, bolt and fluted 22" barrel AND a carbon fiber stock. To me 6 lbs. 1 oz. is mountain rifle territory.

Yeah, there are lighter mountain rifles but most of their weight savings comes from very short barrels (18 to 20 inches) and mostly hollow CF stocks that are noisy.

Eric B.

Last edited:
14 lbs. I am far more accurate with my heavy guns than my light ones. No where is accuracy more important to me than when hunting. I confidently make shots with my heavier guns that I would not take with a sub 8 lb gun. Some of these internet heroes make it sound like shooting 6 lb guns 1 moa to 1000 yards is easy. I have not met anyone yet who has been able to show me that ability. I'm sure they exist but they are not common.

I have a 5.6lb bare 7mm-08. Have not weighed it with the scope but its pretty light. It is hard to keep that thing really steady when hunting. When the adrenalin is going and your breathing gets a little heavier it turns into a much shorter range gun than when on the bench.

My Savage/Stevens 200 with Xcaliber 24" spiral fluted barrel (3/4" @Muzzle) with sling, scope, 4 rounds in mag and seven on shell carrier on the stock stock, lol, weighs 9lbs 8oz.
It's a little on the stout side but it's so well balanced I don't seem to notice, and the weight is decent for off hand shots should the situation present itself, while still hunting or tracking.

I packed my 14 .4 pd.338 edge last fall it was tough on me after having Open Heart Surgery in June but I did my best !
I just finished a 30 " proof 338 ultra mag and I'm excited to say the least ! It's only 10.3 pds. Cant wait till Montana Spring Bear Season !!

Tikka T3x Superlite .300 win
McMillan edge
Warne maxima rings
Leupold VX6hd 3-18x44

Just a touch under 7.5 unloaded no sling

Attachments

• CFC45560-34B8-4107-8EEB-E5D8A12222F7.jpeg
    CFC45560-34B8-4107-8EEB-E5D8A12222F7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 393
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.