Weatherby Mark V (Germany) 7mm WBY Mag - 7mm REM Mag Fired Through It - "Won't Shoot Strait" - Weird Obstruction?

I'm wondering if duckman's idea with computer air upside down sprayed on the epoxy with shrink it do to the cold and then wack the barrel with a rubber mallet will shock the epoxy free. Or put a patch on a rod and jag to center the cleaning rod and wack it against the epoxy.
Yeah, there are things I would try if it were my rifle, but wont't recommend them to others

From the serial number, your rifle was manufactured in W. Germany in 1967. You are also in luck, because by then they addressed safety and trigger issue. The only other thing you would need to know in case you do not change the barrel, is the barrel twist, The early ones were 12 twist. I am not sure when they went to faster. But you can watch a video from Midway how to measure it. Again, this is only if you do not change barrel. If you get the barrel from @19Wyoming it would be good to know the twist so you can know your bullet limitations.

Attachments

• 20220722_172820.jpg
    20220722_172820.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • 20220722_172810.jpg
    20220722_172810.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 20220722_172826.jpg
    20220722_172826.jpg
    741 KB · Views: 65
Thats good, looks like you have the better trigger, which once I knew the age, I was expecting to see.
Any luck getting the epoxy out?

I will post photos of the bolt shortly. I've got some tooling on the way and, when I get the present barrel out, I'll clean it up the rest of the way and post pics of the bore.

The kneadable epoxy is coming out in decent chunks and I've widdled it down to just a thin lining so, it shouldn't be too hard to get it all out once the receiver is removed.

As a precaution, I've got a replacement barrel coming as well, with the kind help of @19Wyoming so, I'm hoping to have all the bases covered.

Additionally, I sent an email off to Weatherby to ask for tips and/or advice. Hopefully I'll be hearing back from them this coming week.

My friend, who I'm hoping to get this rifle worked up for, is a great guy and a very focused family man. I'm stoked to be helping him learn to hunt so, I really appreciate you guys lining me out on this issue. Thanks again.

I will post photos of the bolt shortly. I've got some tooling on the way and, when I get the present barrel out, I'll clean it up the rest of the way and post pics of the bore.

The kneadable epoxy is coming out in decent chunks and I've widdled it down to just a thin lining so, it shouldn't be too hard to get it all out once the receiver is removed.

As a precaution, I've got a replacement barrel coming as well, with the kind help of @19Wyoming so, I'm hoping to have all the bases covered.

Additionally, I sent an email off to Weatherby to ask for tips and/or advice. Hopefully I'll be hearing back from them this coming week.

My friend, who I'm hoping to get this rifle worked up for, is a great guy and a very focused family man. I'm stoked to be helping him learn to hunt so, I really appreciate you guys lining me out on this issue. Thanks again.
If you manage to remove all epexy, before replacing the barrel, personally, I would clean it really well with carbon and copper removers, and hen shoot it again. They might have gone to a 10 twist in 1967, mine is older is 12 twist. Just to be sure, I would stick with 180 grain bullets or lighter.
Good luck

If you manage to remove all epexy, before replacing the barrel, personally, I would clean it really well with carbon and copper removers, and hen shoot it again. They might have gone to a 10 twist in 1967, mine is older is 12 twist. Just to be sure, I would stick with 180 grain bullets or lighter.
Good luck
oops....its a 7mm, I forgot, I would say 140 grains. (The 180 is for 300)
Most likely, being a 1967, you have a 10 twist, which means you could shoot heavier as well like 154, or 160

Last edited:
A old style iron for clothes laid on the chamber area would have loosened up the epoxy for removal.
The ring you were showing looks like the headspacing ring contact area that all belted magnums have. That's what it's supposed to look.
7 rem mag in 7 wby mag no big issue except will be short after firing. Cause they headspace on same said ring on case, not shoulder.

Next time you have a stuck case, The best and most efficient way to remove them is to insert a cleaning brush that is of a decent oversize of the chamber, And jam it into the separated case, Then clamp a vise grip onto the cleaning rod (use an old rod you don't care about) Then tap the vise grip with a hammer in the direction of removing the case, It works 99% of the time, Have you ever tried to move a cleaning brush the opposite direction half way down the bore? It feels like it's locked in place right? That's how it works removing case head separations too. Hope this may be of some use to others who read this too. Shooting belted and rimmed cartridges, Sooner or later this is going to happen to you.

Good Luck getting the epoxy out of the barrel.

If the gun dates back into the 1960's or 1970 and may have set around with the bolt cocked. "The gun is 50+ years old ".

Check the firing pin spring, And replace it. The firing pin spring has lost its speed and strength just from age and way the rifle has been stored.

I am not sure if you have heard from them or have resolved the issue, but it would make an excellent road trip to visit their plant in the great state of WY. Good luck!