Weatherby 307 Long Term Reviews? Who has one?

I purchased a WBY 307 builder's action a while back. I built a 257 Wby and I like the action. It looks and measures as good as any action I have, I like it so much I bought another one. I ordered it from Wby on the internet on June 3 and it shipped within about a day and is predicted to be at my FFL this coming Monday the 10th. Can't ask for better service anywhere these days. WBY must be machining at full tilt!

I bought one in 240 Weatherby. Impulse buy. The 1:7.5 twist rate got me. Hot rod 6mm that can fling heavies. Stock is hot garbage.

The bottom metal and magazine are Magpul. I wish the bottom metal was a standard footprint that I could resuse (NOT on a Magpul stock... Barf). Upgrading the stock and the bottom metal gets kind of pricy. It makes the rifle less of a deal in my mind. I told myself I'd just consider it a tool and leave it with it's stock, stock. But I can't lie, I hate it. I need to put some effort into looking at something used, to keep it in the value category.

*I haven't shot it yet.

Last edited:
I bought one in 240 Weatherby. Impulse buy. The 1:7.5 twist rate got me. Hot rod 6mm that can fling heavies. Stock is hot garbage.

The bottom metal and magazine are Magpul. I wish the bottom metal was a standard footprint that I could resuse (NOT on a Magpul stock... Barf). Upgrading the stock and the bottom metal gets kind of pricy. It makes the rifle less of a deal in my mind. I told myself I'd just consider it a tool and leave it with it's stock, stock. But I can't lie, I hate it. I need to put some effort into looking at something used, to keep it in the value category.

*I haven't shot it yet.
Agreed I changed mine out on my 240 as well

Last edited:

*I haven't shot it yet.
Would be interesting to see how it shoots if /when you get to it

My brother used to buy those vanguards like candy. Then he would have me do load work up on them. They all shoot extremely good. They used to be reasonably priced and come with a test target and a guarantee.

My brother used to buy those vanguards like candy. Then he would have me do load work up on them. They all shoot extremely good. They used to be reasonably priced and come with a test target and a guarantee.
I have had 3 vanguard/howa 1500. All shot MOA or better with good loads.

The 300 and 257 would shoot 3/4 MoA or better. The 3rd one I am working on now.

I love Vanguards too, they are still a good deal for the $$$ especially used.

My 240 shots the the factory 100gr Hornady loading 3/4 moa but I plan on working up a load with the heavies as

I have had 3 vanguard/howa 1500. All shot MOA or better with good loads.

The 300 and 257 would shoot 3/4 MoA or better. The 3rd one I am working on now.

I love Vanguards too, they are still a good deal for the $$$ especially used.
Edit

If I only hunted, I'd buy a 300 and 257 in a vanguard and some weatherby premium ammunition. Confirm the click data to 600 and sure save a lot of money. But they keep making cool stuff like the 307 with a fast twist 240. WTH? Is it better than a 6 creed? Do I really want to know. I really like weatherby. I like them all but weatherby to me is the easy button

I shot mine this eve with 2
Factory loads 100grn interlock and 92 Hammer. Good numbers with the Hammer load.
You can see the stock contact in the last pic. I guess I will relieve the stock material from the front pillar area which is recessed instead of sending it back.

Attachments

• IMG_0805.jpeg
    IMG_0805.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0806.jpeg
    IMG_0806.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0809.jpeg
    IMG_0809.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0804.jpeg
    IMG_0804.jpeg