Was the 6.5 cm really a necessity?

I like your thinking! I will never be without my 17 hmr
Now I see that the other way, now that we have the 17HMR, its the other rimfires that aren't necessary!:rolleyes:
this is mine!

IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0811.jpg
IMG_0821.jpg

Attachments

• 20180401_160839.jpg
    20180401_160839.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 184
Now I see that the other way, now that we have the 17HMR, its the other rimfires that aren't necessary!:rolleyes:
The .22LR still has a viable place, but I do love my .17 HMR's. I've had one since they came out, and I can't see being without it for varmints like rabbits and things of that size. The Hornady 20gr. JHP's are the best I've found around for them, but they seem to be hard to find these days. Luckily I stocked up years ago. :cool:

Only pic I have of mine. It's a tack driver. I shot a fox with it at 100 yards the other day for getting my chickens and hit it dead center of the shoulder and it dropped like a ton of bricks I was very suprised.
I've shot mine out to 300 yards, but consistently shoot @170 yards. They really are tack drivers. Like the 22-250's little brother.

The .22LR still has a viable place, but I do love my .17 HMR's. I've had one since they came out, and I can't see being without it for varmints like rabbits and things of that size. The Hornady 20gr. JHP's are the best I've found around for them, but they seem to be hard to find these days. Luckily I stocked up years ago. :cool:
My rifle likes the 20 grain bullets best. Best group that gun shot was with the cci 20 grain game point into just under a 1/4in at 100 yards for 3 shots. I've shot alot of woodchucks with mine. Mainly with 17 grain ammo because that's what's available. I've found both seem to kill equally well. I've had one crawl off with the 20 grain and I think 4 with the 17 grain, but I've also shot alot more with the 17 grain. Funny thing is the cci 17 grain vmax is the one that has had the most crawl offs. I dont think there's a difference between that and hornady, but maybe there is.

I've shot mine out to 300 yards, but consistently shoot @170 yards. They really are tack drivers. Like the 22-250's little brother.
I took mine out to 400 once and hit a rock the size of a golf ball. I've shot it quite alot at 300 and it does reasonably well. It really runs out of killing power though past 200 yards. You have to make sure your shots are placed properly.

I shot a doe at 220 yards with a .223 Rem firing 60 grain Nosler solid base. It dropped at the shot. The bullet hit about where the sternum ends at the neck and exited at the bottom of the diaphragm. Certainly a .22-250 could extend that range another fifty yards or more.

I shot a doe at 220 yards with a .223 Rem firing 60 grain Nosler solid base. It dropped at the shot. The bullet hit about where the sternum ends at the neck and exited at the bottom of the diaphragm. Certainly a .22-250 could extend that range another fifty yards or more.

This is getting way off topic, but I would hate for someone to read this and think that hunting deer with a 223 or 22-250 is a good idea. Can it be done? Sure, but the margins for error get really slim. I guess if I were doing heard management on small southern does or something... But if you are hunting where you may see a heavier bodied buck, want to take a quartering on shot, or just in case your shot placement isn't perfect, a little more energy is the responsible way to go.

This is getting way off topic, but I would hate for someone to read this and think that hunting deer with a 223 or 22-250 is a good idea. Can it be done? Sure, but the margins for error get really slim. I guess if I were doing heard management on small southern does or something... But if you are hunting where you may see a heavier bodied buck, want to take a quartering on shot, or just in case your shot placement isn't perfect, a little more energy is the responsible way to go.
I certainly wouldn't categorize the 223 and the 22-250 in the same statement, yes they are the same ********. But that's where they stop. I have consistently seen holes made in carbon steel at 200 yards the size a 308 makes, put in by a 22-250. There is a lot to be said for 4000 ft./s

Last edited:
Did I miss something, I thought the last conversation ended off with 17 HMR rimfires???

Speaking of bucks.... I killed a mature blacktail buck with a shot through the chest broadside about forty yards away. It dropped within half second. It is not stunt shooting when one considers how large a .224 bullet is compared to a .375 an an elephant.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.