Walking or light rifle... elk at 600 yards

The 338 win mag is a choice i made over 15 years and have had no regets
The 338 win mag at 500 yards has a 2000 flbs of energy with a 225 accubond
with 2708 fps on the barrel and 2005 fps at 500yards. the Rifle is a standard ruger
24" barrel wood stock iron sights and a scope.....Has put pronghorn, deer and elk
on the table.
As for all else 300 win or a 06 which will kill all needed animals in North America...

4point, When you quoted alot of the ballistics, you where refering to drift and drop, but compare ENERGY at the farther ranges, that is where the 338 gains, that is why I BOUGHT A 340 wm 20 yrs. ago

Last edited:
Other than printing a drop chart I know nothing about ballistics programs. For the most part I am computer illiterate. SO what I say is from experience only.

You have been given a wealth of great advice. I have taken deer and elk to 650 yards with 6mm Remingtons (deer) to 338 Win Mags. My old favorite all time caliber is the 300 Win Mag with 180 grain partitions. Now that bullet has been replaced with the Accubond. For elk and above, there is a noticable difference in visual response when hitting a large animal with a 338 caliber bullet over the other smaller calibers. Do not misunderstand, to 300 Win Mag,300 RUM do the job every time without a hitch.

As previously stated, one cannot always find an ideal place to shoot from. SO scope eye is going to happen with 4" eye relief Leupold scopes and soft spongy recoil pads. Personally it takes only a moment to put on hearing protection. Which for me makes having a brake on my 6-8 pounds 338's a very pleasant experience.

Neal

4th point,

I also used the JBM program to crunch the drift for the 200 gr accubond. I must point out that your figures are very different from mine. I have no idea what you used for zero, elevation, temp etc. All I can say is that you are WAY off.

I will get more specific so perhaps you can find your error in your figures.

I used .588 as the BC, 4000 ft elevation with CORRECTED pressure of 25.84"
temperature 50 degrees F, humidity 30%,0 mph 90 degree crosswind, scope height 1.5", Zero 200 yards.

600 yds drop is 55.7" and drift is 15.1"

------------------------

588 is Nosler's BC number. Bryan Litz has a lower number and recommends the G7 BC which is

Crunching all the same inputs with corrected BC yields:
drop of 56.8" and drift of 16.4"

--------

I am curious as to your input data

Last edited:
I would go 300WSM and start out trying the new 168 grain E-tip. It could easily be lauched at 3100 FPS and is still travelling at 2050+ FPS and carrys over 1550 ft/lbs KE at your max range of 600 yards. That assumes 1,000 ft elevation and most elk hunts are 5,000 ft or higher so your downrange numbers will probably be better.

The min impact velocity is 1800 fps so you would still be over 250 fps above that value and the bullet would surely penetrate with 95% weight retention.(Probably better than the 180s) It has a .503 BC which runs right with most of the 180 grain premium hunting bullets also.

Kimber Montana would fit the bill for a lightweight carrying rifle and the savage weather warrior are right in there also.

Good points guys.

We've got elk at sea level (literally) to the highest mountains in the state, and everywhere in between. I would guess that most of my elk hunting was/is/will-be at 500 to 4000 ft. Probably in the 1000-3000 ft range 50% of the time.

In post #12 I didn't list the parameters used in JBM other than sea level and 59 degrees. I should have stated that I used the default settings to compare the 300 vs 338. One of the most important settings is the zero... 100 yards is default for JBM and what I have been using lately since I now dial drop and drift.

When I run numbers for one of my actual rifles or loads I am much more specific, but since I just wanted to compare the two cartridges for relative differences I just used the default settings. I was lazy, but the numbers are still valid to me since each was calculated for the exact same conditions. I just wanted to know the difference.

If you can get 100 fps more out of the 168 E-Tip, you'll get about 25 yds more down range velocity but the 180 will still hold a slight edge in momentum and energy.

Of the two, I would go with the 180 out of the 300 WSM if they shot the same. If the 168 shot better, I would go with it. Not a big diff between the two but with elk, every little bit helps.

300 win mag. I don't even own one anymore but: Better brass then the wsm, berger 210 or 240 smk.

Curious what 300 WM brass is better than Norma WSM brass? Does Lapua make 300 WM brass?

I've never tried 240 SMK's out of my 300 WSM but it will shoot 210 Bergers @ 2935 in front of RL17. I personally dont think the 240 is the best bullet for either the WM or WSM, but that's just me.

Guys,

As much as I'd like to get a 338 Edge/RUM/Lapua, I think what I need right now is something that can anchor elk, moose, and black bear at ~600 yards. I currently own a heavy 243 (for varmints & targets) and a 35 Remington (just for fun and pigs if I get a chance to go south), but nothing for large game at 'medium' ranges. I had a 300 WSM that was boringly accurate, but sold it for another project.

A few weeks ago I asked about the 300 Win Mag vs. RUM for 1000 to 1200 yards and I got some great advice. A big 338 seems like the way to go for a dedicated longrange rig, and the 300 Win Mag seems like a great all-around rifle as well. In my mind, these would need to have long, heavy barrels and would not be ideal for hiking or when jumping animals.

Instead of those longrange rigs, I think I need something more versatile. Right now, I think I will have more opportunities at 400 to 600 yards than at 1200 yards and want something that won't be burden to carry.

I'm thinking either a 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag that weighs 6.5 to 7.5 lbs without scope. A Kimber 84M Montana would be great at 5lbs, but I don't think I'd feel confident in shooting an elk much past 300 yards with the cartridges its chambered for (260, 7mm-08, 308, 338Fed).

So what do you guys think? 300WM with 200gr Accubond or 338WM with 225gr Accubond? I have to admit that for 600 yards I am leaning towards the 338. Even though the 225gr is only 15% heavier than the 200gr, it seems like the extra bullet weight could come in handy. Plus, if I ever go to Alaska (some friends go every year) I think the 338 would give me extra confidence (maybe just my imagination) for big black bears and moose. Would either the 300 or 338 be suitable for shoulder shots on big black bears, moose, or bull elk at 600 yards, or is that placement not advisable?

I previously owned a T3 in 300 WSM (8 lbs total weight) and recoil was not an issue (shot 40 rounds in one session). I had great luck shooting at 400+ yards with this rifle. I have not shot a 338 however, and I do not want a muzzle brake on this new rifle. Also, I have shot with good success at 600 yards with a 308, have reloading equipment, LRF, spotting scope, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Well Jason are you thoroughly confused yet ?

There is a lot of good advice to wade through and If you can just start back with your post
and apply all of the advice so that you will end up with exactly what you wanted you should
end up with a great rifle for your needs.

I always try to evaluate all possibilities and then make a checklist for the person wanting
the custom rifle and let them check off all of the pros and cons to come to a final decision.

It looks something this;

Type of animal =
max distance to be hunted=
(These two things will normally help decide what caliber and bullet weight.)

Type of terrain and distance from transportation to hunting (How much walking)
This will give one a ideal weight and overall length for the rifle.

How much recoil you can tolerate is very important and the bigger the cartridge/bullet
combination the more recoil so based on recoil the decision to install a muzzle break
becomes important and with the break comes the necessity for hearing protection.

Also another important factor is whether you reload or want to buy factory ammo.

Next is wild cats (Non factory chamberings) they can produce extra benefits but
there are issues with them that must be addressed.

I hope this helps you come to a best all round rifle for your purpose and use.

J E CUSTOM

look at Hunting/ deer hunting/ 37" MULEY pg #4 and you will see my 600-800 light carry 7-6oz. loadedw/sling 325WSM 4-14X40 mildot w/cds, GETER DONEgun)

Jason,

A few thoughts. To keep the rifle light and accurate, you need to take a few things into consideration.

1. What is your recoil tolerance? Heavier and faster bullets are going to thump you more on your end.

2. Going to a lighter rifle yet keeping the accuracy up there will dictate that your going to need some luck and lots of reloading knowledge to find a load that will meet your accuracy needs and/or you'll need to put some $ into the rig to "make" it accurate.

So, on #1. Any 338 will work but is going to thump you more. A 180 30 cal will easily suffice to your 600 yd limit and yet, won't thump you as hard. Goodgrouper has proven that many times and at longer ranges.

On #2, put the extra $ into a good barrel, action job, trigger to "make" it more accurate. It does not have to be a $3-4k rifle to meet your accuracy needs. $300 for a barrel, $300 for the barrrel work and about $200-300 more to true it all up and maybe $100 for a decent trigger or trigger job.

My own big game LR rig is a Rem 700 LA in 30-06AI, 26" SS Lilja turned to an absolute toothpick at the .552" muzzle, trigger tuned to 2 lbs. I've tried numerous scopes. My fav was my former Mk 4 4.5-14x50 w/ TMR but it recently got sold to fund my new NF 5.5-22x50 w/ NP-R1 reticle. With the Mk 4 the weight was only 7.5 lbs and yet I could shoot 1/2 MOA groups out to 800+ yds. I've got proof.

See, look at that barrel just underneath the Obj lens; drastic contour down to a toothpick.
20071006Spikeexit.jpg

This is a 4.25" group @ 818 yds. Same rifle but IOR scope which fell apart about 20 rounds later. 180 BT doing about 3000 in a 7.5 lb rifle = thump! But, I'm tough!:D
818shot001.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.