Velocity nodes and ladder tests

VenatusDominus

Two fascinating articles regarding load development, the standard "ladder test" approach, the "Satterlee" approach and velocity nodes. The first is a shorter and less technical article. Both have short summaries at the end if don't want or have the time to read them in their entirety.

TLDR: The "velocity flat spots" evaporate once enough samples are shot.
Watch the targets first Grasshopper, then the chrono.....

1729736763804.png

TLDR: The "velocity flat spots" evaporate once enough samples are shot.
Watch the targets first Grasshopper, then the chrono.....

View attachment 611429
looks like a node just over 60.0 and again just past 61.0 It would be interesting to know the quality of the rifle, components and the shooters credentials, as well as what the target showed "optimal charge weight" style. I haven't looked at the two links in the OP but I will. Fun stuff.

I've adopted the Satterlee method for a short cut of sorts. I do believe it has plenty of merits to be a viable method but it's not the only method. Pick your own poison I suppose.

I think the key is to identify a place to start that gives you the best chance of finding an acceptable load for your needs/desires in the least amoutn of wasted components. This method seems to get you going fairly quickly. The second step of the process generally gets you zoned in on an area to tune. The third step seems to be the issue for most. Is it subtle or is it obvious? Monitoring FPS deviation and accuracy go hand in for me. I desire low sd and tight groups that have the best chance of being repeatable. I have had low sd and mediocre groups and I have high sd and tight groups.

Some load development process's are better than others IMO. A guy/gal has to find what works for their program. I'm a ladder test at distance guy.