Vacuum sealing: primers and powder

Not saying it won't help if you want to keep them for the next generation, but I have primers from at least the 80's that are in original packages, have always been in climate controlled environments, and they still go bang. I do put them in sealed ammo cans now, but kept them on a shelf out of direct light for years.

I would hazard a guess that the recommendations in Muddyboots attach are widely ignored. No more than 10000 in a residence or retail display...
I keep mine on a shelf in a climate controlled room. After reading the latest Applied Ballistic volume, I added a dehumidifier to the room. I figure it might help with the ammunition and powder in the room as well. My reloading objectives changed from go bang a long time ago to wanting consistency.

I have never vacuum sealed primers. This thread got me interested in dating the primers that I bought marked down to $7.35 back in the eighties. They are Federal 215 primers in a gold box. I bought four bricks and am on the last brick now. according to lot number and packaging they were manufactured between 1963 and 1965. They still shoot every time. They were in the back of my truck when I drove down the Alcan highway in the snow at -50 degrees F. I probably won't vacuum seal my primers. But I might seal the box when it's empty.

Recent Posts