Unguided Aoudad

Ksduckhntr

I am researching the ability for a do it yourself W. Texas aoudad hunt. I am looking for possibly a private ranch or outfitter that will allow 2-3 experienced hunters to come, bunk, eat etc.. but have the freedom to hunt on our own. Are there places like this which it's possible or will we be looking at paying for a semi guided style hunt? We enjoy the challenge of learning new terrain and skills necessary to hunt our targeted game. Sheep has been on our list and we think this may be the most simple way of taking our first step into sheep/goat hunting. Any advice is appreciated.

I booked a hunt for January 2019 with west texas hunts ( mike McKinney) its a semi guided, we are in charge of food, tent etc and there is one guide for the three of us. I'm pretty sure he offers full DIY hunts as well.

I am leaving tomorrow for an unguided hunt on one of Mike McKinney's leases. Everything so far has been great right up to GPS coordinates of likely spots to find sheep. I will give you details when I return after Christmas.

I have an interest in hunting Aoudad as well, but doubt I would have to money to pay for any sort of guide I am afraid. What are you guys paying for an unguided diy hunt, if you don't mind me asking? Also, is there ANY area in texas on public land where one could do a 100% diy hunt? Or is everything private?

I'm not sure about DIY public land hunts. There are some draw hunts from TX Fish Wildlife and Parks but they have long odds. There is also amistad recreation area tags but the odds of actually killing one are slim. I booked for private land. Texas is 97% private land.

Elkeater nailed it. We have very little public land and most of that is in East Texas which is deer and hog only.

The public draws are about the same odds as drawing a western sheep tag.

I think going with an outfitter like McKinney's or similar is the best route. Find one that will allow some degree of freedom about the ranch to hunt and have some fun.

I'd say the best chance for a DIY would be after deer season. You may get lucky and the place to yourself.

It's something on my list of fun things to do as well.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.