Try or sell? HELP!

I use S-III's and I have a couple of S-Tacs.
Burris XTR-II's and III's (3-18)
Leupold VX-3 LR/T, Mark IV, VX5 HD, and Mark V
Use the Vortex HST up to the Gen 2 Razor.
For hunting using FFP scopes, I prefer a magnification range: 3-15, 4-16, 3-18, and 4-20.
If it is a second focal plane, then I don't mind having a higher magnification range, but I still prefer having a three to a maximum of five power for the lowest range.

I only have one single shot big handgun, a very custom 14" Contender in 7-30 Waters. I use a couple of different scopes, mostly having to do with what shooting position and rest accommodations are expected. But my experience has been similar with scoped SRH and FA. Contender is 1/4 MOA gun but I am not always a 1/4 MOA shooter. All my scopes are handguns scopes, I can't recall the details but one is a Burris I think not made anymore that goes to maybe 12x? I find it rare unless I am at a very solid bench to be able to use anything above like 3x anyway so for me rifle scope power is of limited value if not a bench gun.

I went the opposite direction and replace some magnified optics with red dots.

I will add I have never really understood how people shoot, especially high recoil handguns like 7-08, with 3" (or less) of eye relief.

JB

Orange Dust said: "I personally think it is easier to "Get on" a target with a pistol scope and both eyes open, but it also may be less precise than using a rifle scope. You on your own with this one buddy. You will have to endure the pain yourself to decide what's best for you."
Well said. X2

I am going to sincerely disagree with both of you as it would apply to a rear-grip or center grip specialty pistol.
Here is why...I have hunted at short range and at long range, and have competed in roving LR tactical courses with targets from 100 yards to 1000+ yards.
I started hunting and varminting with pistol scopes on specialty pistols in the mid 80's. I did not begin to transition to rifle scopes until around 2002 or 2003. Before that time, I was total pistol scope use.
Again, I have hunted at short range and at long range, and have competed in roving LR tactical courses with targets from 100 yards to 1000+ yards.
I have done all of these things with both LER pistol scopes and rifle scopes...The rifle scopes are soooo much easier and faster for me-Your experience may be different.

Orange Dust said: "I personally think it is easier to "Get on" a target with a pistol scope and both eyes open, but it also may be less precise than using a rifle scope. You on your own with this one buddy. You will have to endure the pain yourself to decide what's best for you."

I am going to sincerely disagree with both of you as it would apply to a rear-grip or center grip specialty pistol.
Here is why...I have hunted at short range and at long range, and have competed in roving LR tactical courses with targets from 100 yards to 1000+ yards.
I started hunting and varminting with pistol scopes on specialty pistols in the mid 80's. I did not begin to transition to rifle scopes until around 2002 or 2003. Before that time, I was total pistol scope use.
Again, I have hunted at short range and at long range, and have competed in roving LR tactical courses with targets from 100 yards to 1000+ yards.
I have done all of these things with both LER pistol scopes and rifle scopes...The rifle scopes are soooo much easier and faster for me-Your experience may be different.
Can't argue with experience....I was agreeing more with " he will have to endure the pain and figure it out for himself" nothing truer than that statement.

I only have one single shot big handgun, a very custom 14" Contender in 7-30 Waters. I use a couple of different scopes, mostly having to do with what shooting position and rest accommodations are expected. But my experience has been similar with scoped SRH and FA. Contender is 1/4 MOA gun but I am not always a 1/4 MOA shooter. All my scopes are handguns scopes, I can't recall the details but one is a Burris I think not made anymore that goes to maybe 12x? I find it rare unless I am at a very solid bench to be able to use anything above like 3x anyway so for me rifle scope power is of limited value if not a bench gun.

I went the opposite direction and replace some magnified optics with red dots.

I will add I have never really understood how people shoot, especially high recoil handguns like 7-08, with 3" (or less) of eye relief.

JB

My posts about rifle scopes are particular to specialty pistols, most of which has a good to great muzzle brake.
It is actually very easy.
Newbies pick up using a rifle scope easily, and end up disliking pistol scopes as a general rule.
I use rifle scopes on my XP-100's and like actions (rear and center grip) for hunting (typically spot and stalk), bench shooting , pd shooting, coyote hunting, and even in PRS matches.
Weight of the specialty pistol, cartridge used, type of grip or strength of your grip, and the quality of the brake are very important in determining how much fudge room you need to be safe.
A few videos. Watch to see how much rearward movement there is
22 GT with 88's at 2886

280 AI with 140's at 2961 fps

6XC with 107's

26 Nosler with 147's at 3025 fps

Last edited:
Ernie, thanks for the videos. Always happy to be wrong and learn new things. Clearly you have much more experience with this than me. Appreciate all your input. For sure I will try this myself.

JB
Your TC is quite a bit lighter than a XP or bolt action specialty pistol, so rearward movement will be greater...all things considered.
I know guys that have the Waters and the 30-30AI in a Contender that have good muzzle brakes that use rifle scopes.
They are the exception, compared to most TC shooters using these cartridges.
I am NOT recommending a rifle scope for all single-shot specialty pistols.

The Holland's radial baffel solid bottom brake is a fine brake. I jumped into specialty pistol with a used striker in 308 and a factory brake. The rebarreled to 7-08 and Holland's brake. Purchased a 4-16 vortex. It's very easy to get on target with a rifle scope and virtual no recoil as u can see in Ernie's videos. Good luck.

I just aquired a brand new Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x32 Duplex Pistol scope....

I have a Rear Grip Rem 700 chassis pistol that will be in 7mm-08(just dropped off barrel for muzzle brake install). I have done all testing with rifle scopes to this point.
View attachment 354110

I have not shot this pistol with a brake or any other pistol like it with a brake. I know specialty pistol guys tend to like rifle scopes. Do I even give this a try or sell as new and get equal value rifle scope for this project?

I realize this could be preference thing and I may never know until I try it. I have other barrels I could try scope on but none with muzzle brake until 7mm gets back to me. Or do I wait to try with braked 7mm-08. I use burris signature rings with inserts which are great at not leaving scope marks but I also would not sell as new never mounted if I took to the range and tried it to see if I like pistol scopes.
I have two (had three) Thompson Center Hunting Pistols, all with Burris Pistol Scopes, very accurate and fun to shoot. It is all about eye relief with either scope. The pistol scope offers much more eye relief for the manification of a Rifle scope. The brake you are installing should be good to tame the recoil. A BIG consideration with hunting pistols, you don't want Rifle Scope eye relief with a pistol that might jump too much.
I have a 7mm Super Bower in a TC Contender witha radial brake that is very accurate. I use a Hog Saddle on a Tripod for all these pistols to hunt with. Try the pistol scope, you have a very nice one and I do not think you will be disappointed. The brake you are installing should be good to tame the recoil. A big consideration with pistols, you don't want Rifle Scope eye relief with a pistol that might jump too much. Good luck and let us know how your set up went.