Try or sell? HELP!

WSMDRT

I just aquired a brand new Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x32 Duplex Pistol scope....

I have a Rear Grip Rem 700 chassis pistol that will be in 7mm-08(just dropped off barrel for muzzle brake install). I have done all testing with rifle scopes to this point.
20220324_173712.jpg

I have not shot this pistol with a brake or any other pistol like it with a brake. I know specialty pistol guys tend to like rifle scopes. Do I even give this a try or sell as new and get equal value rifle scope for this project?

I realize this could be preference thing and I may never know until I try it. I have other barrels I could try scope on but none with muzzle brake until 7mm gets back to me. Or do I wait to try with braked 7mm-08. I use burris signature rings with inserts which are great at not leaving scope marks but I also would not sell as new never mounted if I took to the range and tried it to see if I like pistol scopes.

I personally think it is easier to "Get on" a target with a pistol scope and both eyes open, but it also may be less precise than using a rifle scope. You on your own with this one buddy. You will have to endure the pain yourself to decide what's best for you.

I don't like the idea of not being able to easily dial...but that is totally a rifle crutch. It is quality glass...which is my biggest reservation.

Only hunt planned for now is a hog hunt, off bipod, likely within 100 yards. Other than that see how far I can ring some steel.

I can get on target with hunting with a rifle scope way faster than I can with a LER/pistol scope.
Since you have a muzzle brake, you will be able to almost see a full field of view, which will be way more than a full FOV with any pistol scope.
Your glass, reticle, turrets will be better, and more more internal adjustment than a pistol scope.
Nothing wrong with trying that pistol scope though, if you want.
Since you have already done your testing to this point without a brake, just imagine a 50-70% reduction in felt recoil...You are going to love it.
What bullet do you plan on shooting the most?

The reason more people are moving to riflescopes on specialty handguns, is because of the limits that handgun scopes inherently possess compared to riflescopes.
A long eye relief handgun scope of all makes have:
Limited field of view at higher magnifications
Critical sight picture at higher magnifications
Not enough internal adjustment for long-range shooting
Lower quality level of optics compared to what is available in rifle-scopes
Fewer reticle options than rifle-scopes
Poor target turret systems
Not enough magnification for precision shooting at long ranges
No variable powered scopes with the reticle in the First Focal Plane

Thanks ernie I'll think I'll post it here for sale or trade and see what i get....barrel at Smith.... chassis going for hydro.... new pics to come... when its all back together.

You guys have been great with info and wisdom charting these waters.

Just posted the leupold...we'll see if trades come available.

3 port self timing from Hanks Precision
Hank's 3 Port Self-Timing
I went with this because of small diameter barrel(factory barrel .640@14") and .865 OD brake.

I think rifle scope in the 3-15, 4.5-14, or 4-20 range. Exposed turrets make me feel good but a good set of capped target turrets work too.

Wish i could spare one of my Sightron SIIIs but i don't think the project is at that level yet.

Anything entry level you'd recommend?
My rifle scopes now include sightron SIIIs s-tac, vortex hst order 6.5-20 viper, burris xtr ii burris signature hd, and some old bushnell tacticals. If the right trade come along i could move things down to free up something decent.