Trouble with chambering reloads

Lenny Foffa

HI All, I'm having a very big issue getting previously fired brass to chamber in my 308 Savage 110
The brass is Winchester Brass, and its been reloaded about 5 or 6 times and used only in my Savage 110 in 308 . Using my usual RCBS dies, the cases previously fired cases were resized, DE Primed, all the usual prep , and made back up to the specs that I have been happily using. Bullets were seated at the usual COAL and OGIVE Length's, But at the range I discovered d the Bolt would not close!!! Took everything home , seated the bullets 5/1000 deeper, still the bolt would not close, then another 5/1000 deeper, still the bolt would not close. Pulled the Bullets , dumped the powder, pulled the rod and expander ball out of the Resizing die, and resized the cases, and bumped the should back 5/1000, tested, the bolt would not close. So I adjusted the die and bumped the shoulder back an additional 4/1000 . So Now the test bullet ( Berger 110 Grn Flat base targets ) is 10/1000 shorter than the usual bullet length that gave great groups and the shoulder is bumped back 9/100 and the bolt barley closes 1/2 way. Any suggestions please!!

Maybe you bulged the shoulder with the seater die at the shoulder/case body junction? Sometimes it can be easy to overlook, even though it seems that you have been meticulous about everything else. Even after 16 years of reloading, I do it every once in a while.

HI All, I'm having a very big issue getting previously fired brass to chamber in my 308 Savage 110
The brass is Winchester Brass, and its been reloaded about 5 or 6 times and used only in my Savage 110 in 308 . Using my usual RCBS dies, the cases previously fired cases were resized, DE Primed, all the usual prep , and made back up to the specs that I have been happily using. Bullets were seated at the usual COAL and OGIVE Length's, But at the range I discovered d the Bolt would not close!!! Took everything home , seated the bullets 5/1000 deeper, still the bolt would not close, then another 5/1000 deeper, still the bolt would not close. Pulled the Bullets , dumped the powder, pulled the rod and expander ball out of the Resizing die, and resized the cases, and bumped the should back 5/1000, tested, the bolt would not close. So I adjusted the die and bumped the shoulder back an additional 4/1000 . So Now the test bullet ( Berger 110 Grn Flat base targets ) is 10/1000 shorter than the usual bullet length that gave great groups and the shoulder is bumped back 9/100 and the bolt barley closes 1/2 way. Any suggestions please!!
Color the case with a black sharpie try and chamber a round pull it out and the sharpie will be rubbed off where your problem lies,maybe you need a small base die?

You say "all the usual prep". Does that include trimming the case to spec "trim to" length? A case that is too long could cause difficulty in closing the bolt and you said this brass has been fired 5 or 6 times. Might need to be trimmed. Also, will the bolt close on a resized case that hasn't had a bullet seated? Just resize the case, but don't seat a bullet and see if it will chamber and if you are able to close the bolt.

Last edited:
Color the case with a black sharpie try and chamber a round pull it out and the sharpie will be rubbed off where your problem lies,maybe you need a small base die?
This is what I was going to say. I have run across this issue a few times and had to get my small base set out and it fixed the problem
I would definitely do what he recommends with the marker.

I have some small base dies if you need to go that route.

Last time I had this issue my sizing die wasn't screwed down far enough. I raised the ram and screwed the die down to contact the shell holder, but didn't do the next step of dropping the ram and screwing another 1/8 turn in so that the press cams over. Once I set the die right the problem went away