Tripod recommendations glassing/shooting

I have ran the vortex high county II tripod for the last few seasons. It works great. I think It's crazy stable. It holds my ravoz gen I with an 85mm bell really steady in the wind with no issues. I mostly put my binos on it with the bino adapter. Have had/tried some lighter tripods but I feel this one makes up in stability. I think sportmans has it for $199

I have this tripod. I wouldn't hesitate shooting off of it either. I'm trying to figure out which ARCA rail I want to attach to my rifles, as soon as I do that I'll try shooting off of it. It would be a sit and shoot. I glass with my SLC 10x42s and my ATX 65mm as well. It's pretty stable and the head gets locked in just fine. The head is amazing on it and for glassing it's tough to beat. It is a little light for shooting off, but I'm going to try it anyway.

Something that is light. I would be without them.
Most people don't understand how to use a tripod is part of the issue. A ultra light, small base, and center post tripod is not much better than a shooting stick or using a barrier in the field and you really need rear support to lock in. To get a truly good tripod a wide base and beefy leg design is better. The issue is the weight and cost go up considerably but you can shoot very well a long ways without rear support when set up right. As a result a tripod may not be beneficial in the right terrain at all. Now if you are a heavy glasser and terrain is not suited well for prone a tripod would be beneficial. I've used a pile of RRS stuff, bog pods, vortex, etc and settled on the fiesol 3342 as it check marks many of the criteria. It's so far the lights and sturdiest tripod I have found for the money and it goes with me everywhere unless backpacking in and the 3 lbs is just too much bs to deal with. On normal day hunts etc I pack it for sure. I don't always use it supporting the rifle tho, could easily be rear support if needed.

So far my longest kill on yote off the tripod is 1125. Longest on a wolf is 515. The photo below was after I shot the wolf on the middle open hill side. The furthest side is around 1150 and where the rest of the pack was headed. I use this tripod all year and practice all summer with it. I enjoy positional shooting and training. Much more involved then bench or prone.

PRC wolf positional.jpg

I'm running a really right stuff TFCT 24L with an anvil head. I have the poly cinch on my binos. I'm very happy, it is the best and it is made in USA. One of my best purchases, I use it all the time.

Looking for a new tripod for a pronghorn hunt. Any recommendations based on experience would be great.

Not looking for the most expensive one but something quality I won't have to worry about.

Let me know any thoughts!
I have a BOG, really like it , not heavy, sturdy, extends to different heights, clamps on quickly and works great and won't break the bank. Very impressed with it. I know some people can spent big $$$ but this one is very impressive.

Money not an issue, RRS no question. If $ matter but you want something functional and stable there are a few imported carbon tripods that work very well. I have 4 versions that would be comparable to the series 2 and 3 RRS rangine from ~$200-300ea tripod only. I can try and post up a few photos later. All but one have the narrow (no bowl) head and they are MUCH more compact at the top. Easier to pack and attach a ball head to. I have a Leofoto I have set up to pack that is my favorite for that. If you are much over 6' it would be too short. It barely works height wise for me but is lighter and faster to deploy being a 3 section rather than 4. I have one larger Artcise that is super strong and stable but is ~1-1/lb heavier than the Leofoto and bulkier to pack. Hanging a pack in the center takes them from stable/solid to concrete bench stable. It's really quite amazing. I am in the process of rigging up a QD for my packs that will make that faster and easier. The last bit to try that out should be here tomorrow.

Stay away from a center post (kills stability) and aluminum (heavy and not as rigid as carbon). The smaller apex sans bowl is lighter and more compact and just as stable as the bowl when using a ballhead with one less connections to come loose.

If you want to be solid, the vise/clamp isn't close to clamped in. I have the BOG and need to just sell it. I run either ARCA rail or the Spartan adapter depending on the rifle and they both work. ARCA is more solid if the rifle will take it but more bulky/square and doesn't fit on nicer wood or more round stocks well. Another bonus is less recoil as clamped in with a pack hanging from the center of the tripod is like a mountain lead sled.

Tripod Davros new.jpg

Vise.jpg
20211121_124728.jpg

Last edited:
Ended up going with a Slik pro CF 833 from doug at cameralandny. Excited to put it through its paces! Thanks for all the help y'all!

Last edited: