Tree Squirrel Rifles

IMG_3028.jpg

:)
This is my squirrel shooter...Savage MKii FVSR .22lr in a Boyds stock with a Mueller APV scope. I usually run a SilencerCo sparrow on it, but currently using it on my 17 hornet.

Last edited:
Mine would be a Glenfield Model 60 with the pressed in checkering and squirrel with acorns topped with a horrible Simmons 4x32. It's been my 22 forever and was my Dad's before that even though he mostly squirrel and rabbit hunted with a Stevens 16 gauge pump.
I threatened to put a different scope on it but luckily squirrel hunting is a full daylight affair and the dials on that scope haven't been touched in years.

Thank you. It's a vudoo v22 with a 20" mtu sitting in a krg whiskey 3 enclosed with a tt diamond. It's heavy, and not the easiest to lug around but its way way to accurate to leave at home and its helped me lock in first place in my squirrel competition this year and helped me claim my two longest kills on ground squirrels. 187 yards and 215 yards
How does it balance in the W3? My B14R has a lighter profile 18" barrel and I can't get the balance I like without adding a bunch of weight up front with any of the chassis's I've tried (MPA, ACC, BMP, XLR). The XLR balances the best so far.

Last edited:
My favorite is my Winchester model 62A pump .22 take down. Will handle CB loads, 22Short, 22LR and feeds perfect with anything you throw in there.

Old school tiny little front bead sight (not the big blocky ones made nowdays) . Super accurate and fun to shoot. Love this rifle and my squirrel gun growing up. View attachment 323567View attachment 323568
Also my first gun, instead of a toy. I was 9 years old. Still in the safe.

Without getting everything out and taking photos, here is my list of squirrel rifles through the decades and mostly still possess and use

Pre-teen to teen years -
Remington single shot 22, don't remember model, no longer posses
Remington 550-1, No longer posses
Remington 572 Fieldmaster (all time favorite youth rifle)
Age 20 to current -
Remington 581, 513X, 541,
Ruger 10/22 Custom Target conversion,
Ruger 77/22 target conversion,
CZ 452 American,
Marlin 880 SS customized
Savage MKII TR
Remington 700BDL in 222 Rem- squirrel load 7 gr of Unique under 50gr Speer SP, TNT or personal hand swaged, or 9gr 2400 under 50-52gr Hornady. These are tiny ragged hole shooters at 50 yds. (All time favorite squirrel rifle)

Your Remington is sure a good looking rig.

Having more of a normal size stock and weighted 22 sure helps me keep in form with my field shooting skills. If I had known those rem's existed I would have bought one over my Anschutz. Not that I have any complaints over mine, once the pro shop fixed the ejection issues. Can you imagine Anschutz producing a rifle with no iron sights that ejected casings straight up!

We just had the lil red squirrel here for most part unless your in town.Took many with my benjamin 22 air rifle.Later had varies 22.s You guys have pictures of squirrels I never seen.

No fair! No shotguns allowed for squirrels! But I can't see irons anymore anyway. My last iron sight hunt was quite a few years ago with the Marlin 39. Now it is scopes for all squirrel guns.
There is so much they can do now for vision....they may be able to help you see the irons again. My neighbor was reborn with easy cataract surgery...if that is the issue. He can see like he was 25 with no glasses....Sure worth a look....

I have the take down 39a...flawless and accurate...so so smooth is this action..love it..bull barrel
There was a bull barreled 39a on GB a while back and I just couldn't bring myself to ante up that much for it. I wish that I had now., but the 39a that I did buy is a nice piece and it considerably lessened my regret after shooting it.

Recent Posts