White squirrel

About a month ago I was on my way home from the range and seen 5 squirrels chasing each other along a back road and as I slowed to look I spotted a white squirrel. Of course they all did a disappearing act when I got out of the truck. Today I slowly rolled into that area and sure enough there it was. I waited patiently for him to show himself again and was able to get a pic.
I have seen a bunch of different color variations but never a white one.
This is very rare in this area but wondering if others have seen any?
we have a few Every now and then in Alaska

Attachments

• 34ffrl.jpg
    34ffrl.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 55
I shot a white one as a kid, self tanned the pelt, had it in my room quite a while. Until I came home one afternoon and it was gone! Seems my self tanning was not exactly spot on so over time became a condominium for critters. Guess my mom saw it "moving", so picked it up with those yellow dishwashing gloves of yore and dropped into bag for proper burial trash day! No it did not have red eyes but I remember jet black eyes which were kind of eerie looking. My taxidermy days were severely curtailed! 😂

The best part of story was I shot it after deep snowstorm. Crazy it fell into an open stump, no biggie, reached in to pull it out. Except it wasn't quite dead and latched on to my heavy leather glove. Laughing like fool since it couldn't get thru glove, holding it up to show buddy! He was laughing telling me to have it mounted with glove in mouth! It was actually dead and last breath was to latch on glove! I had to pry it off glove!