Tractor

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
We are going to buy a new tractor in the next week and still looking for options.
Should we go with an 16" or 18" bucket and why? We currently have a 14" and 16" on our old tractor. The tractor sales person told us that everyone in this area is getting a 16". If i could spend some extra money I would probably get a 12"or 14" and a 18". 12-14 for digging stumps and 18 for digging holes.
We are getting a Kubota MX5400 HST with a LA 1065 FEL and a BH92 backhoe.
The tractor itself is STOUT with 55hp engine and it has 1 & 2 CAT (can step down from CAT 2 to Cat 1 with bushings on the 3 Hitch but still needs to be CAT 2 equipment with PTO) and big M4 Hybrid Tires.
Thanks
Len & Jill

Last edited:
55 hp CAT? Do you mean Kubota? Stick to a 16 if it worked before and you won't need a 12/14. I like my Kubotas.
I was just looking at getting TWO buckets. Maybe a 14" for digging stumps and 18" for digging holes. Probably just stick with a 16". for everything. I have a 14" & 16" with my current BH.
Just thinking if anyone thinks a 18" is too big. Her in the SE GA the soil is not soil, it is hard Brown/RED/Orange Clay.
Since this new BH is a LA1065 it may be a lot more powerful than our current BH.

With that size machine, I would go with the 18. I've run a deere 35hp compact with a 16 inch and it dug pretty good. I agree definitely get something smaller for trenching and pulling stumps. I have a 12 and 24 for the mini. Once you have a mini, there's no going back to a tractor. Also, if you don't have plumbing for a thumb, look into a mechanical one.

With that size machine, I would go with the 18. I've run a deere 35hp compact with a 16 inch and it dug pretty good. I agree definitely get something smaller for trenching and pulling stumps. I have a 12 and 24 for the mini. Once you have a mini, there's no going back to a tractor. Also, if you don't have plumbing for a thumb, look into a mechanical one.
See