Tommytrees

Tommytrees

Tikka t3x TAC A1 24"-what 308 factory match & hunting ammo works best for you. Unfortunately, preparing for a move, cannot reload now & not much range time. Usually 100 - 500yd.
Thank you in advance for any advice,
Tommy

My 20" bbl CTR LOVES, like really loves FGMM 168s for a Target load. Not sure what you're hunting, but I'd feel comfortable putting lead in a bad spot for a game animal too.

If your open to match type bullets, Prime Ammunition has two offerings with SMK's. The 175 gr load uses Fiocchi brass and the 168 gr load's brass is unspecified.

Have any of you used the 175 SMK on game-Deer?

I mean anything will work if you destroy a heart/lung, but is it going to be in the next county before I can find it. @Tommy if the answer is yes, then it's hard to be the FGMM at $20 a box...

Last edited:
Thank you all. I appreciate the information. Wondering about the Fed TLR or Hornady ELDx in 175 or 185 gr. My 30-06 likes the 175gr. will have to look at Prime ammunition and assume FGMM is Fiocci Gold Medal Match. If i am wrong , let me know. still trying to learn the codes used by you guys.
Still open to advice, 78 yrs and still want to learn more.

Be safe, be well, Tommy

Thank you all. I appreciate the information. Wondering about the Fed TLR or Hornady ELDx in 175 or 185 gr. My 30-06 likes the 175gr. will have to look at Prime ammunition and assume FGMM is Fiocci Gold Medal Match. If i am wrong , let me know. still trying to learn the codes used by you guys.

Be safe, be well, Tommy

Federal Gold Medal Match

Be safe, be well, Tommy
For factory ammo Hornaday white tail and Federal fusion both shoot well. Farthest kill is 240 yds with fusion though. Have shot steel targets out to 500.

168 Federal gold medal match works great on whitetail with the high shoulder shot I've shot a pile of them from 75-450 all bang flops, but I once put 4 rounds into a Audad cross canyon at 590-610 all four were in 4" group right behind the shoulder he jumped off the canyon rim and fell 100' was dead 3 hrs later when we got to him. idk how far he would have gone if he had run the other direction the bullets just pencil holed he was dead standing there but didn't drop.

Of all the match bullets I would be hesitant to shoot a Match King at an animal.

It's what we use for human animals, not impressed.

I'de go with the Berger ammo for hunting and the FGMM for ringing steel

But in my neck of the woods, a slingshot would probably work too...

If you start reloading the 180gr Elite Hunter from Berger is mucho bueno! Put one in a whitetail at about 60 yards and it did it's job. Was a little worried about over expansion at that range but it worked well. Typical Berger frag in the vitals.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts