To buy, or to build a 7 PRC?

#3 would be perfect for the 7PRC. Do you have a budget for the rifle and optic?

Check out Alamo Precision.com. They have built several rifles for me. I noticed they have two 7mmPRC's "ready To Ship" on their website. If you have any questions call them ask for Robert, tell him Buzz sent you. Here are a few of the guns he built for me.

Last edited:
Those look amazing!

My budget probably only allows for a rebarrel or maybe up to the $1800 or so for the Seekins if I sell the Bergara and something else. I'll keep the Leupold scope from the 300 Win for now.

With your budget you'd probably be best to put a high quality 284 barrel (Bartlein, Benchmark, Ace, etc) on your Bergara and using an excellent Smith to do the chamber job. The Bergara is based off a 700 action so should be easy to find a Smith to take on the job. A good quality barrel is going to be $350-$450 plus $275 for chamber job. You could also have the barreled action bedded by the Smith. You already have an excellent stock and bottom metal. I just put an Ace cut rifled barrel my 6.5-284 Norma and it shoots fantastic, got the barrel for $320 on sale. You also have numerous options to upgrade your trigger (700 platform) also if you'd want. However if you want a new rifle on a budget of $1800 your best option is probably the Seekins, also based off a 700 platform. Anyways….. good luck with your choice!

Last edited:
With your budget you'd probably be best to put a high quality 284 barrel (Bartlein, Benchmark, Ace, etc) on your Bergara and using an excellent Smith to do the chamber job. The Bergara is based off a 700 action so should be easy to find a Smith to take on the job. A good quality barrel is going to be $350-$450 plus $275 for chamber job. You could also have the barreled action bedded by the Smith. You already have an excellent stock and bottom metal. I just put an Ace cut rifled barrel my 6.5-284 Norma and it shoots fantastic, got the barrel for $320 on sale. You also have numerous options to upgrade your trigger (700 platform) also if you'd want. However if you want a new rifle on a budget of $1800 your best option is probably the Seekins, also based off a 700 platform. Anyways….. good luck with your choice!

Thanks for the thoughts!

Hi all,

I've got a Bergara Wilderness Ridge in a Greyboe Trekker in 300 Win and really want to swap to a 7mm PRC. I'd like a slightly lighter rig (this one is a bit front heavy) and would welcome a little less recoil and a flatter trajectory.

So the question is whether or not I should sell the 300 Win and start fresh with a factory build PRC, or if I should have someone rebarrel the Bergara? I like the action and Greyboe well enough, but I'm not opposed to starting over.

Any thoughts?
My 2c…. Find a Winchester action, obtain a premium blank and have it turned down into what contour you want. Take your time selecting a stock.
Making reference to production pieces and being a Winchester fan. This is what I would do.

My 2c…. Find a Winchester action, obtain a premium blank and have it turned down into what contour you want. Take your time selecting a stock.
Making reference to production pieces and being a Winchester fan. This is what I would do.
I have a 270 on a Winchester action and really like how it's set up, so that is an attractive idea.

I will also add, once you handle/cycle a Custom Receiver, you will never want another factory rifle again, especially, if that receiver is cut for a Wyatt Extended Mag, that makes loading to the lands so much easier. If you invest in a good barrel vice and action wrench, you could have that one receiver for multiple rifles and just purchase barrels for various cartridges. Just something to think about.
We use Sako actions and they're easily as good as any custom one, just saying. Three custom rifles to date all using Sako 75 actions
280 AI
6mm CM
22-250 AI

We use Sako actions and they're easily as good as any custom one, just saying. Three custom rifles to date all using Sako 75 actions
280 AI
6mm CM
22-250 AI
I have used the Sako AV actions didn't have to be trued, worked extremely well for an 280ai build.
I have a SAKO M995 in .300 WM with which I harvested an MT bull elk at 931Y with 190 Berger VLD. The only modification I made was adding a muzzle brake. It is due for a re-barrel soon. I just wish it had more aftermarket support. When looking for a stock replacement in 2012/2013, choices were scarce and pricey.

Recent Posts