To buy, or to build a 7 PRC?

cowboyarcher

Hi all,

I've got a Bergara Wilderness Ridge in a Greyboe Trekker in 300 Win and really want to swap to a 7mm PRC. I'd like a slightly lighter rig (this one is a bit front heavy) and would welcome a little less recoil and a flatter trajectory.

So the question is whether or not I should sell the 300 Win and start fresh with a factory build PRC, or if I should have someone rebarrel the Bergara? I like the action and Greyboe well enough, but I'm not opposed to starting over.

Any thoughts?

These days and for sometime I stick with custom builds. I have the discretionary funds and I simply do not own as many rifles but what I do is exactly what I want them to be for every part. I also am not one to have to have something new or get bored. I almost never sell firearms.

Hi all,

I've got a Bergara Wilderness Ridge in a Greyboe Trekker in 300 Win and really want to swap to a 7mm PRC. I'd like a slightly lighter rig (this one is a bit front heavy) and would welcome a little less recoil and a flatter trajectory.

So the question is whether or not I should sell the 300 Win and start fresh with a factory build PRC, or if I should have someone rebarrel the Bergara? I like the action and Greyboe well enough, but I'm not opposed to starting over.

Any thoughts?
Only you can answer your question. As @Kmccord noted, it boils down to personal preference and intended purpose. Between the two chamberings, I prefer the .300 WM (I have 3) over the 7MM PRC.

I will also add, once you handle/cycle a Custom Receiver, you will never want another factory rifle again, especially, if that receiver is cut for a Wyatt Extended Mag, that makes loading to the lands so much easier. If you invest in a good barrel vice and action wrench, you could have that one receiver for multiple rifles and just purchase barrels for various cartridges. Just something to think about.

I will also add, once you handle/cycle a Custom Receiver, you will never want another factory rifle again, especially, if that receiver is cut for a Wyatt Extended Mag, that makes loading to the lands so much easier. If you invest in a good barrel vice and action wrench, you could have that one receiver for multiple rifles and just purchase barrels for various cartridges. Just something to think about.
Very true it's an endless venture once you handle custom actions!

These days and for sometime I stick with custom builds. I have the discretionary funds and I simply do not own as many rifles but what I do is exactly what I want them to be for every part. I also am not one to have to have something new or get bored. I almost never sell firearms.
Before getting into full custom builds (not factory donor), I ventured into semi-custom builds using Savage LA and learned tremendously in the process. I have a .270 AI with a 30" 1:8" Lilja barrel, a .264 WM with a 26" 1:7" X-Caliber barrel, and a .257 WBY with a 22" 1:7" McGowen barrel. I, too, do not sell any of my firearms.

I forgot to add, if you do not want to go the extra step of purchasing barrels vice and barrel wrench, you have another option in the Custom Receiver market and that is a Terminus Zeus Quick Change setup, no vice or wrench required, just hand tighten then set the Allen heads to say 15 in lbs and you are set.

If it were me I would just switch barrels. Take it to a competent gun smith, have them true everything up on the action and bed in the stock, fit 7prc barrel to new trued action. You can keep the 300 wm barrel and if you don't like the 7prc switch it back. Sell your 300 wm stuff if you do like the 7 prc better.